Sound card Disabled after instaling Drizzle

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Sound card Disabled after instaling Drizzle

Postby semplerfi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:16 pm

ddb174 wrote:This really belongs on another forum; one dedicated to malware problems.

Here's one forum that was helpful to me. MajorGeeks.Com Malware Removal forum
semplerfi

Postby Karkadann » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:57 pm

Should I tell them I had an illegal patch from an illegal site on my legal copy of Uru TPots when the virus first turned up or should I assume like ddb173 said that was not the problem and omit that fact.

Any body in their right mind if this problem hit them would have removed the software and avoided the site. I would not expect you to hear anything about it.
Last edited by Karkadann on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby ddb174 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:54 pm

Karkadann wrote:Should I tell them I had an illegal patch from an illegal site on my legal copy of Uru TPots when the problem happened or should I assume like ddb173 said that was not the problem and omit that fact.

Any body in their right mind if this problem hit them would have removed the software and avoided the site. I would not expect you to hear anything about it.

It's pretty obvious at this point that this is just trolling for pike. There's no need for anyone to try to help with this problem (if indeed there ever was one), as it is unrelated to Uru or Drizzle or Pelishard, and the author is not conducting himself.
ddb174

Postby Karkadann » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:50 am

Then perhaps it would be best if this thread was locked or deleted, and my account canceled.

Thank you in advance.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby Karkadann » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:54 am

Subject
This thread represents one of many situations that may unfold within open source and has the potential of hurting open source.
In this case an individual is convinced "I got this from that", the individual is trolling for the person or people who are responsible, and will not back down.

Question
Is their a better way of dealing with it, and if so what?

Discuss
Karkadann

Postby D'Lanor » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:55 am

Don't worry about something like this happening with open source. The difference with this situation (and I apologize for kicking in an open door) is that the source would be... open. So instead of speculating about any potential malware we would actually be able to track it down in the source code.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Karkadann » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:11 am

the Problem is the malware could have come from another source other then open source and like ddb said lied dormant until the individual was in Uru

which is why the individual is convinced its from open source
Karkadann

Postby D'Lanor » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:28 am

Karkadann wrote:which is why the individual is convinced its from open source

Yes, but we can rule that out if we have the source... :roll: Said individual has to be pretty stubborn to maintain that conviction when proven wrong.

IMO installers and patchers etc. for open source projects should be open source as well.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Karkadann » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:26 am

Stubborn perhaps but more likely overly suspicious, thinking open source is more or less the honor system. And yet still indulges himself (taking a chance) in what the program hasta offer.

For instance wondering threw open source, he has a virus from another site that comes out of dormancy when the individual is on open source. and in his mind he thinks “I got the virus from open source because I was in open source when it showed up”. Then the individual’s overly suspicious nature or (paranoid if you wish) kicks in, makes an assumption, acts in a manner that is irrational, people walk in and see this, only this and loose interest based on the irrational behavior of a person who feels, “I never had this problem before. I get on open source this is what I get?

The world is full of stubborn people that may just wanna use Uru as an escape and seem perfectly fine until that escape is removed.

The question is, in a case where the individual refuses to believe it did not come from the program he was using whether it was or not.
It happened when the individual was on open source and in the individuals mind that where it musta come from.
Karkadann

Postby teedyo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:53 am

Then we continue to pray that Darwin regains more control and the government gets less.
teedyo

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development