Hexisle->Uru Screenshots

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Hexisle->Uru Screenshots

Postby Dakro » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:14 pm

IE blatant piracy

Taking hex isle age IS blatant piracy. Can't you see that?
KI Number: 05407095
My modeling work:
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/Dakro_album
Dakro

Postby Paradox » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Dakro wrote:
IE blatant piracy

Taking hex isle age IS blatant piracy. Can't you see that?

If you own a copy of the game, then no it is not piracy.
Paradox

Postby Dakro » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:23 pm

And to refute your example, you ask the person to stop. If they do not, then you get angry.

You are right, and I am wrong about that. I have to admit that, because you're absolutely right about that. I shouldn't freak out about what people do with their own copy of Uru. But I definetly want you to understand the perspective I was trying to create for Cyan's perspective, the just the way I look at it, it was Cyan's property, Cyan's "age" you could say, and we shouldn't be allowed to touch it, because it doesn't belong to the writer. That's what I'm really trying to get across.

If you own a copy of the game, then no it is not piracy.

And you're also right about that, the heat of the emotional response made me have a bit of an outburst. I just don't want to see pictures being posted because I remember Cyan mentioning all this "hacking" was bad for them, and I know what you're saying Hoikas, without them saying anything it may seem like its not doing any harm, but from what I remember Cyan was out trying to sell their ideas (this story or post was a while back), but I guess their buyers (or whoever they were trying to sell their ideas anyway) were doing a background check and say this hacking mess they had behind them. I wish I could find the actual post, I think it was on UO or MOUL forums (hopefully MOUL, because UO shutdown). I'm just saying that I really care about Uru and I think Cyan is a big part of it, and we should really do our best to respect what's theres, if that makes any sense.

I'm just frustrated because I feel like the focus of the guild is less on age creation and more on.. outworldish manipulation, if that makes any sense as well.
KI Number: 05407095
My modeling work:
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/Dakro_album
Dakro

Postby Paradox » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:40 pm

Cyan has made it very obvious in the past when they wanted the hacking stuff to be "under the radar" (such as before D'mala).

At this point there is no such indication. Cyan pops up every once in a while to remind everyone that they are not affiliated with any of the hacking, but they aren't actively discouraging it either.
Paradox

Postby kaelisebonrai » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:18 pm

Dakro wrote:Here's another scenario, and you'll see how these two kind of come together. Lets say that you take a videogame you kind of like, and you think it would be pretty cool to explore in Uru. And it turns to look just as good as it did in the original, if not better. So you post some pictures, and it looks really cool, and maybe a youtube video to showcase the whole thing, because its only on your offline Uru. Then you decide that the only way to truly appreciate the results would be to send the files to a couple friends of yours, whoever wants to see it, maybe post it on the forum or whatever. I guarantee that their legal team would jump on top you, in a heartbeat.

Uh.. there's evidence of an Uru fan age that does just that. Infact, it takes textures AND models, from Oblivion, a game by Bethesda Softworks. It also uses textures from MOUL and/or MYST V.

But, guess who made it? No, not one of the looked down upon hackers, but, rather, "Andy Legate" a maintainer known for his rather vocal stance on using Cyan content, etc.

That age, is Serene. It uses a fair number of textures purloined from other games, and even goes as far as to directly port models and textures in their unaltered (if not, unaltered, near unaltered) state, from oblivion.
kaelisebonrai

Postby teedyo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:29 pm

Not quite accurate. The version of Serene Andy released doesn't contain Bethesda's property. If a version has escaped privacy with the original inn intact; I believe it would be against Andy's wishes. See:
http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Forum ... 9819#p9819
and:
http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Forum ... 101&t=1183
teedyo

Postby ddb174 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:37 pm

You're very much mistaken teedyo. Andy has indeed used many assets from other games (and Uru) in various Ages: Zephyr Cove, Bahvahnin, Serene, e.g. And Oblivion is indeed one of the games whose assets can be found in his Ages, including Serene. (Medal of Honor is another game that some things come from.) That post on GoMa about the Inn may be misleading; perhaps they gave permission for other things but not the Inn, e.g. (He has said before that he got some sort of permission from them, at least for some things/uses.)
ddb174

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Hmm... The plot thickens.

Now who should we be screaming at again?

I personally would like to scream at Barack for wasting my great great grandchildrens' money (and mine too, but I need to be my unborn granchildrens' advocate, after all).
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Chacal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:15 pm

I think the point could have been made without dragging Andy in.
As he said himself, "I used their stuff, simply to experiment and have fun".
That's reason enough for me.

We don't even need to make that point.
We don't need to listen to the same complainers coming back with the same arguments over and over again like religious zealots, trying to impose restrictions on what we do.
We accept no restriction.
We need no approval.

We hack Uru and will continue to do so.
Live with it.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Paradox » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:55 pm

Chacal wrote:We don't even need to make that point.
We don't need to listen to the same complainers coming back with the same arguments over and over again like religious zealots, trying to impose restrictions on what we do.
We accept no restriction.
We need no approval.

We hack Uru and will continue to do so.
Live with it.

I think this is my new personal motto...

Awesomely well put Chacal :)
Paradox

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development