NEW WRITING SYSTEM?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: NEW WRITING SYSTEM?

Postby kaelisebonrai » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:25 pm

I do have one suggestion along these lines..

One could, I suppose, use a procedural content system, like, say, a terrain generator using some sort of algorithm, and using the "words" more like sliders on various settings. Sort of like a procedural world generator. I had a post on this on the MOUL forums. The idea I came forward with wasn't perfect, but, its vaguely in the realm of possibility.

I'll have a look later when I get home for more input.

EDIT: Note, I am aware that this is excessively vague, I need to locate my notes to be more exact on this...

EDIT2: Again, note: I don't agree with the original suggestion, that wouldn't work too well at all. In essence, I agree with the criticisms above. The idea I'm referring to is merely related. I'll likely make a new topic.
kaelisebonrai

Postby tachzusamm » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:57 am

Well, I always wanted a computer that (who?) is able to understand me, and learn.
But this is far away from reality; I'm not even able to *teach* the machine something - instead I have to describe every single necessary step of a method of any form.

I wish we had more library and knowledge based computers today. For this I would pass on the latest colorful clicky windows version.

(Not sure if this is really OT). 8-)
tachzusamm

Postby ddb174 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:56 am

kaelise: If we want stuff created/modified as the game runs (e.g. like the "procedural content" in Spore), it would need support from the engine. Right now, about the only thing Plasma has like that is just the standard bones & skin weights system for smoothing out animations. So we would need the source code to do anything like that at runtime. But if we want something to make procedural content when writing the Age, then Terragen is a piece of software that does some of that, and is used e.g. in Niveerah. I think the software called Bryce also has some of that?
ddb174

Postby J'Kla » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:40 am

At the moment within game an age is subject to the conservation of mass you can change the position of an object for example kick a fire marble or open a door but only within the constrictions of the game in UU admins were able to change the environment but only by using hacked tools. Now the game could be modified to use limited KI command driven changes.

Commands that would change day into night or change the structure of a wall to make it transparent or permeable. Permeable to a point where you can walk through it but this would greatly limit the ability to set puzzles or limit view points so that an illusion of a bigger age than actually exists.

Age writing as it stands is an acquired skill and if you have the desire you work within the tools you have. Then you hope your results meet the required standards to merit praise and admiration of your peers if it was a simple as you want it to be (some day it will be) we could all be as talented as William Morris, Le Corbusier, Frank Lloyd Wright, Jørn Utzon, Christopher Wren, César Pelli, Norman Foster to name but a few. :D

Has anyone noticed my cunning re-use of a list.. ;)
J'Kla

Postby Trylon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:48 pm

jollo wrote:Most English-like programming languages are difficult to use because, A: English has many ways to say something, & B: English has many synonyms.
Creating a version of pyprp, or whatever it's called, that uses a scripting language in the D'ni font;

IC Response:
A) D'Ni has even more ways to say something
B) D'Ni has even more synonyms, each with a slightly different meaning.

Sorry ;)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Previous

Return to Plasma Development