Offline KI 3.1

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Offline KI 3.1

Postby Dangerzone » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:24 am

As a matter of fact i was playing with the wall last September, I installed the UU patch then replaced the new uruexplorer.exe with the backup i made before I installed the patch... Then all it took was a simple SDL switch filp and boom, the whole thing worked... suits, music, sfx, the manual, control pannels, even the maintainers nexus...

so its not the executable that has the issue with the wall, its something else... (BTW i used the ABM version of the UU patch on an ABM install with neither of the 2 expansions installed)

Anyways, I think that the problem is that you guys have been using POTS as your base client, and I know for a fact that cyan deliberately hacked out the wall segments in that version... so you need to revert back to the files from ABM and install the changes from the UU patch to make that wall work

So the wall will work, the problem is weather or not you can make the necessary changes through drizzle
Dangerzone

Postby diafero » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:57 am

As you pointed out later in your post, the problem IS the binary - we are using the POTS binary because it is the best we have available for hacking. Of course we could use the UU engine, but then we would loose not only the POTS extension, but also the fan-ages. While some of it could maybe be converted, things like swimming regions are not supported in UU, and there is no way around this.

There was a project in UU days to convert the POTS extension, mainly the ages of Er'cana and Ahnonay, to UU - it was called the Volcano Shard, if I recall correctly (I was not around back then). The aim was to play these ages online again. This project was stopped because it turned out to be way too difficult because of subtle differences and changes in the engine. Alcugs was the much easier path, even though the networking part of POTS was untested, and some changes were made to deliberately create incompatibility with UU Shards (or maybe this change was just a side-effect, this part is speculation).

So it boils down to choose between the wall on one side and POTS+MOUL+Myst V+HexIsle+Crowthistle+Fan Ages on the other side - and this is an easy choice. Drizzle can't do anything about it, we only have these two engines available to hack on. Of course it would be great to merge them, but without the sources, this is nearly impossible.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Chacal » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Dangerzone wrote:the whole thing worked... suits, music, sfx, the manual, control pannels, even the maintainers nexus...

We have all done that, but have you actually been able to CLIMB the wall without a crash?
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Agenotfound » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Chacal wrote:
Dangerzone wrote:the whole thing worked... suits, music, sfx, the manual, control pannels, even the maintainers nexus...

We have all done that, but have you actually been able to CLIMB the wall without a crash?

If I understood correctly Dangerzone made it worked and was able to climb with the files from UU with the ABM client and we knew already that it worked with the ABM client, In fact with the work Choliquorchee (or something like that) made back in 2006 or something we know the clients up to the to Dn'i one can support the wall the problem is tied with the CC/PoTS one.
Agenotfound

Postby Chacal » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:30 pm

Agenotfound wrote:If I understood correctly Dangerzone made it worked and was able to climb with the files from UU with the ABM client and we knew already that it worked with the ABM client, In fact with the work Choliquorchee (or something like that) made back in 2006 or something we know the clients up to the to Dn'i one can support the wall the problem is tied with the CC/PoTS one.

LiquorCoChee.
Ah yes I remember that thing with the ABM client.
Thanks.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Karkadann » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Wouldn't that be a Pie in the face, if the GoW got the wall working before Cyan did???
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Dangerzone » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:02 am

what i personally do is i go through the versions of URU one at a time and complete each of them before i install the next... so i do ABM then i play with the stuff in the UU patch, then to D'ni, POTS, and finally the drizzle/offline KI stuff

Anyways, this is from memory but here is how to play the wall game in ABM with the UU patch (so sorry if there is an error here)

if you want to play with the wall here is how...

What you need: A copy of URU:ABM (uru prime), a copy of the UU patch for ABM, and an SDL file editor

Step #1) make a SECOND copy of URU ages beyond myst, Install this to another directory so you don't mess with your main installs, and DO NOT install any of the expansions

Step #2) grab a copy of the Untill URU patch (there are a few sites with it still around) Make sure you find the one thats for ABM (they also have a CC one)

Step #3) make a backup of the URUexplorer.exe file (i think you can back up urulauncher.exe if you want as well)

Step #4) run the UU patch

Step #5) delete the new URU explorer and URU launcher files and replace them with your backups

Step #6) use a program that can edit SDL files and turn on the journal and wall climb SDL variables in the Ghereesen SDL... they are plainly marked, just read the file to find them

Step #7) run URU explorer... if you make it into ghereesen without crashing, then chances are you did it right... read the journal, sit at the controls and make a pattern on both sides, start the game and the tubes should raise... step in, climb the wall, and you end up in the maintainers nexus
Dangerzone

Postby Karkadann » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:28 am

Not knowing much about all the technical stuff what I thought they where doing is get each piece of the wall working separately.

since they already got the area around the wall stable, I thought next they were gonna do the control panel, and keep it non interactive, or figure out the tube so you can get in to the wall with out fly mode. then the suit,the actual wall, and the remaining details, Basically getting all the components working separately and then tie them all together. and then the pie in the face. It would definitely catch the attention of the Myst community since their all in one place kinda sorta, and would be a wonderful addition to Drizzle, and eventually Open Source which Uru Live Again has gotta be one of the first steps of.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby diafero » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Entering the wall area without Flymode is definitely possible. Both Drizzle and the Offline KI would be involved though. Agenotfound got it working on his system, but he said he wouldn't have the time anymore to go on with this project.
We are currently trying to get some of the prp files the Offline KI ships into Drizzle (so that Drizzle can do the patching on your PC, instead of us doing it on ours and then releasing the patched files). This has the benefits of reducing download size, shipping less copyright-protected files and a better overview about what exactly was changed in these files (provided the Drizzle source stays somewhat readable). Once that is done, I hope we can have a look at some of Agenotfound's amazing work (not only in the wall area).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Previous

Return to Plasma Development