GOG uru and drizzle

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: GOG uru and drizzle

Postby I.Brattin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Yeah its likely your age. If you get a memory error during export then its not exporting properly. Since its not exporting properly and you try and visit it, it will crash your game each and every time.

Only fix for the memoryerror is to upgrade PyPRP to 1.6 if you haven't already. I was getting a memoryerror when exporting and turns out after I upgraded to 1.6 the memoryerror stopped.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Postby diafero » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:20 am

As a side note, a broken age file can crash the game on startup already (as opposed to only crashing while linking there) as Uru then reads the index of all Plasma objects in all prp files.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Chacal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:15 am

That will become a problem when we have 1000+ Ages.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Trylon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:52 am

I think it only reads the header of the prp files, it doesn't load all of the files into memory.
Still, that would take up quite some time to load
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby diafero » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:17 am

That's what I meant by "index" - it loads the list of which objects with which type and which name are in which page (identified by sequence prefix and page number aka sequence suffix). The actual objects are only loaded into memory when needed, and when linking to an age (where the list of objects to loaded is specified in the .age file).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Trylon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:12 am

I knew, I was just clarifying it for those who didn't ;)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby diafero » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:14 am

Ok :)

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Chacal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:16 am

So in plain English, it reads the plSceneNode?
:)
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby ddb174 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 am

There is a header at the start of each prp file that lists things such as the version, the pagename, and has a list of all the objects that will be found in the prp file. The plScenenode is one of those objects, and it does indeed act like a header, but there is also this additional header.
ddb174

Postby diafero » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:53 am

The plSceneNode only contains a list of most (all?) of the scene objects, while Uru loads the index of all objects of all types... so you can actually directly reference a texture (plMipMap) from, say, the city in your age without even loading the city textures page. Uru will then load the texture from the correct file automatically. I don't know whether and when it will be unloaded though...

AFAIK this header also lists where in the file the objects are, so that when it needs the object, it just needs to open the file, seek to the correct position and load the object saved there.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development