MOUL Sound Decompressor Tool

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: MOUL Sound Decompressor Tool

Postby Deledrius » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:09 pm

diafero wrote:Because of recent confusion: Do NOT use the version of sounddecompress attached to the first post! It is no more compatible with the latest libHSPlasma. Instead, use the version that is shipped with libHSPlasma. You can find it at Python/examples/sounddecompress.py.

I'm not sure what recent confusion you mean, but your warning is a good one. I'll remove the attached version and update the instructions. Best to use the version of the code that is being actively maintained in the repository. :)

diafero wrote:EDIT: Oops, I first replied and then read new posts... sorry for that.
So, maybe it is a better idea not to attach a version here statically, but tell people where to get it from in the libHSPlasma source, where it is maintained?

Indeed, and I've made those changes to the initial post. I don't have time to work on these tools much lately myself, so the libHSPlasma repository is the canonical version of it now.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:20 pm

I meant the recent confusion that came up in the #writer's channel, which Pavitra posted about above, and which I confused even more as it seems :lol:
Last edited by diafero on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Deledrius » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:23 pm

Ah, I haven't been around much in there for the past month or so. Gotcha. Sorry about any confusion I may have inadvertently caused!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:24 pm

No problem, I wasn't much more helpful ;-)

The links in the first post don't seem to work for me, though. SVN is no longer active, and hg does not seem to have a way to link to the latest version? This one might do it, provided "tip" is actually always the latest version (hg is still confusing me):
http://dev.zrax.net/hg/libhsplasma/file ... ompress.py

EDIT: raw file link: http://dev.zrax.net/hg/libhsplasma/raw- ... ompress.py
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Deledrius » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:26 pm

Yeah, you're right. I thought that looked wrong and was going to double check that tonight when I'm at my desktop and can also fix the "latest" linked file as well. I'll update the post to use the mercurial repository link.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Zrax » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:18 pm

"tip" will always point to the most recent commit, regardless of the branch. In the libhsplasma repository, that usually means the same as the latest version on the trunk -- however, to ensure you're always getting the latest trunk version (and not some branch's version), it's better to use "default" (the name of the branch) instead of "tip" (the "magic" tag):

http://dev.zrax.net/hg/libhsplasma/raw- ... ompress.py
Zrax

Postby Deledrius » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Ah, an important distinction. Good to know... will update the post!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:56 am

I *knew* that tip did not have a pendant in git, and that "master" maps to something else, but I just couldn't remember ;-)

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby ze'ev » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi, I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but if anyone's still following it, or having sound problems with Myst Online, then I would really appreciate a step-by-step breakdown of how to get the sound decompression script to work, because the previous instructions aren't working for me. I just end up with the pieces, and they don't really do anything because I can't figure out how to make them work together. I've had to jump through several fiery hoops to get Myst Online to work on my Mac OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks, and finally I thought I succeeded with the full package from The Porting Team. Everything loads and connects properly, looks great, and runs smoothly... except the sound. I would really appreciate a more detailed and easy to follow explanation of how to get the sound to work for Myst Online on Mac OS X Mavericks, please, anyone.
ze'ev

Postby Deledrius » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:55 pm

Welcome to the Guild of Writers forum!

As noted in the first post, this tool is no longer needed for the current version of the engine. We do have step-by-step instructions for running MOULa on OSX elsewhere, however. If you are unable to get that to work, please post in that thread for assistance. :)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development