New Drizzle versions: Foggy procedure ?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

New Drizzle versions: Foggy procedure ?

Postby Nanouk-GoW » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:37 am

Lets try to clear the fog away once and for all times.

So far, I have always made a new installation when a new Drizzle version was published.

Question: is a new installation (Drizzle over Uru CC, MOUL and Myst 5) really necessary or can we just update our older installation ? EDIT: have added Uru CC

If only an update is sufficient, are there proper detailed procedures/instructions on how to proceed ?

Thanks Nanouk.
Last edited by Nanouk-GoW on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nanouk-GoW

Re: New Drizzle versions: Foggy procedure ?

Postby diafero » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:47 am

I am not exactly sure what you mean with "new installation" - a new installation of Drizzle, or of Uru?

To update Drizzle itself, all you need to download the new Drizzle jar file and remove the old one. To benefit from changes made in the conversion, you need to re-convert the game that was changed by just pressing "Start" again (assuming the paths are still correct from last time). Sometimes it might be a good idea to do a full new fresh Uru installation, but usually we try to keep compatibility here. For example, if you had some former version of the Offline KI installed, you will have some Python and prp files in your installation that are no longer required - but they should do no harm.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Nanouk-GoW » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:00 am

diafero wrote:I am not exactly sure what you mean with "new installation" - a new installation of Drizzle, or of Uru?

I was talking about installing/running a new Drizzle version. :oops:

Without knowing it and not wanting to have problems, I was using the right procedure. :roll:

A new Drizzle version over clean unplayed copies of Uru CC, MOUL folder and the Myst 5 game.

Thanks a lot from me and for new comers.
Nanouk-GoW

Postby diafero » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:13 am

A new Drizzle version over clean unplayed copies of Uru CC, MOUL folder and the Myst 5 game.
As I said, the CC does not *have* to be clean or unplayed. It is certainly possible to continue using the old installation and just install/convert new version on top of the old ones, which I actually did during at least 1.5 years of Offline KI development. Ok, I had to reset my avatar some times because I screwed it up, but that was due to bugs in the code, a release version should never do that. The avatar I reset it to is still the original one I created back in 2007 when I first played the game, btw ;-)
That said, if you run into problems by just upgrading, it might be a good idea to start from scratch. As this is a whole lot of work though, it should not be required. It's also good to hear that if you beta-test a KI I send you, I can be sure you have no leftovers in your installation :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby ddb174 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Yeah, I'm still using the same Uru installation from a the start of Drizzle too. No need for a fresh Uru installation! And you can have multiple versions of Drizzle all in the same folder, and just double-click the one you want to you. (Though nearly all users will have no interest in having multiple versions of Drizzle.)
ddb174

Postby Nanouk-GoW » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:40 pm

diafero wrote:I can be sure you have no leftovers in your installation :)

No leftover for sure.... if we exclude the "very old man" behind the keyboard. Image :D
Nanouk-GoW

Return to Plasma Development