Ideas culled from Cyan's Plugin

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Ideas culled from Cyan's Plugin

Postby diafero » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:34 am

Yeah, JSON looks a lot like what I had in mind, though having to put "" around each name looks like overkill - is that mandatory? I *know* I would forget it about half the time ;-)

Just to make sure you don't get me wrong: I'm definitely not against a GUI. The fear I have about writing a plug-in that integrates very tightly with Blender without offering any alternatives is just that it might scare off developers who only want to work at one specific part of PyPRP2. (Take me as an example: I don't like working with GUIs, I've never worked with the Blender Python API before, but I worked with PRP-related stuff *a lot* - and I'd really like to contribute there. However, having to get to used with the other two things would not fit into my time schedule.)
This sounds very reasonable to me. I also hope to get the hang of Blender at some point, because the plugin sounds like a good place to work on, and I'm currently getting in touch with libHSPlasma.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Re: Ideas culled from Cyan's Plugin

Postby Tayrtahn » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 am

One thing that really bothers me about Alcscript is how few of Plasma's features it covers. It seems to me that converting Alcscript to Plasma objects is about as awkward as the whole Blender -> 3DSMax/Plasma conversion issue. Something key for me in a new system would be broader coverage of Plasma objects. It'd be pretty snazzy if the language could somehow be abstract enough to cover everything without a lot of work, but I suppose that could make it much less user-friendly for the less code-inclined. Maybe a simple, friendly scripting format for general use, and direct PRC editing for the fancy stuff?
Tayrtahn

Previous

Return to Plasma Development