USHRT_MAX (and other problems)

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:22 am

Zib:

On a second review of the plugin code, you probably don't have a single object that hass all those vertices. Rather, it is the combination of several object's vertices into one plBufferGroup that is exceeding the count.

Currently, the plugin does output the number of vertices per object. Look in the log output for the following:

exporting ObjectName NumVerts vertexs, please wait several minutes

This will tell you how many vertices that object ObjectName has.

To see how these objects are grouped together into plBufferGroups, add the following line to alcdraw.py, in plDrawableSpans.export_object() [line 1048]:

vstart=len(bufferGroup.VertexStorage)
print "##### Found buffer group %i which currently has %i verts" %(sliceid,vstart)
vstop=vstart + len(vertexs) #wrong!!! - don't trust it

[Note: I marked the line in bold that you will insert.]

Even though there is apparently a safeguard to prevent adding too many vertices to a plBufferGroup (see plDrawableSpans.find_buffer_group()), it doesn't seem to be working. That will need to be fixed.

Here's a workaround for you in the meantime: put some of the objects into a new page. Each page gets one drawable span (and a set of plBufferGroups).
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby zib_redlektab » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:33 am

ahhh, ok. that page thing is a great idea, they're all on the same one right now :P
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby zib_redlektab » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:53 am

YAY! It exported...:) now i just have to test it...
Lurker extraordinaire!
zib_redlektab

Postby zib_redlektab » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:31 pm

argh, it works and it doesnt work. the properties tool (aside from assigning page #s to everything) decided to make everything assigned as a solid (col_type 4) into a collider, so many things were invisible...the ladders don't work (i think the ladder regions were obliterated somehow), and theres that same old problem of the 1 spot in which u crash....
Lurker extraordinaire!
zib_redlektab

Postby Ehren » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:35 am

Does that mean your still not going to release your age? :(
Ehren

Postby zib_redlektab » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:39 am

well. <_<

I'm not entirely sure. The age seems to wor OK (as in, exports without error). but when played in uru, one of the textures is completely wrong, all my climb regions have turned into solids, and you still crash when moving between two caves. This looks hopeless, and I don't know how much longer I'm going to try to get it right. I don't know if it's the plugin's fault or mine, but you currently need flymode to go anywhere in the age, and if you are unfortunate enough to fall through from one cave to another you have to reload uru. :angry:

I really, really want to release it. Truthfully I do, but this is in no state to be released.

I'm going to test the crashing on someone else's computer to see if maybe its just a problem with mine, then i can focus on fixing the texture and the climbing regions...
Lurker extraordinaire!
zib_redlektab

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:05 am

Zib:

How does exporting your age without the properties tool work for you? Are you able to get back to the point you were before that properties tool changed those items?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby zib_redlektab » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:13 am

what do u mean by the properties tool?

the age is now coming along great. the crashing happens on other computers too, but i think i have a way to work around it. all of the problems ive had before have either been fixed or i worked around them, so the age should be released very, very soon. :)

also a strange thing happened on the last export, all my regions turned into solids. :blink: very strange. i couldn't use any ladders because large white boxes were enveloping them :P
Lurker extraordinaire!
zib_redlektab

Postby Aloys » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:19 pm

That doesn't seem to be the case but:
I remember that if you happen to have objects without faces (ie only vertexes or edges) Uru will crash when your avvie goes near that object.

(Again, that doesn't seem to be the case from what you describe, but just in case..)
Aloys

Postby zib_redlektab » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:30 pm

[quote="Aloys"] That doesn't seem to be the case but:
I remember that if you happen to have objects without faces (ie only vertexes or edges) Uru will crash when your avvie goes near that object.

(Again, that doesn't seem to be the case from what you describe, but just in case..)

yeah that was exactly it. i discovered an extra ring of vertices in each tunnel, causing the crash. it now works fine :D but uh...nobody told me that before. <_<

but the footstep regions don't work...I only hear stuff when walking in or out of them, is there some step i forgot? :huh:

oh yeah and other than these regions, version 2 is finished and ready to be distributed, so as soon as i can get them to work i'll send the age on to Starfyre to upload to UAM :)
Lurker extraordinaire!
zib_redlektab

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development