Feature request: dependencies & dummy packages

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Feature request: dependencies & dummy packages

Postby Pavitra » Sun May 16, 2010 8:12 am

If a group of Ages are tied together (like Eder Gira and Eder Kemo, or Kadish Tolesa and the Kadish Gallery), then installing one should (offer the option to?) install the whole group automatically.

Likewise, I'd like to be able to create "dummy" Ages that don't actually install Ages, but only contain dependencies, so that I can create a one-click install-me package for "all the Ages I think are really well-done" or "all the Ages that are part of the XYZ storyline". Or, for that matter, "all the Ages in the repository".

I would also recommend that the dummy packages have a separate section: OfflineKI, Extras, Packages, Ages.

Edit: It has been explained to me that grouped Ages are generally installed as a single package. I would still like dummy packages, though, as a form of tagging.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Re: Feature request: dependencies & dummy packages

Postby ddb174 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:25 am

It's a possible future feature. It isn't as important as it is in Linux though, because: with Linux, you say want to install some program and it simply won't work without it's dependencies, whereas here, the Age will work, and if you try to link to an Age you haven't installed, you'll just get a message, and Uru won't crash. Or if your shard has a dataserver, it will download and install the Age as you link to it.

Another thing to mention, is that it could be considered a bit of a spoiler, as you'll know which Ages can be reached from another Age.

(By the way, if you want to select multiple Ages to download and install at once, just use Shift or Ctrl while selecting Ages until a bunch are selected, and then click download, and they'll all be downloaded and installed.)

Still, it seems like a good idea to at least have the ability.
ddb174

Return to Plasma Development