Making things easier for Writers

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Making things easier for Writers

Postby BAD » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:33 am

andylegate wrote:Yes, unfortunately with the way the new forum policies read, they (Cyan) will still consider it "hacking" Uru:CC, even though that's the only way to test anything that's made with Max and Cyan's Plugin right now. They won't allow discussion of it at all.

However, seriously, it's been put out so many times before: if you want to build new content and/or test it, then you need to come here to this forum or over at the GoMa forum where it's discussed freely. All the "old timers" know this, and new people can be told to come here. I don't see how moving discussion of how to build Ages in Max (or Blender) over to the MOUL forum helps anyone....except those that simply don't want to go through the effort of coming to these forums or the wiki.
If they are THAT lazy......I don't see them really putting in a good effort to learn how to create Ages.

BTW - You can show off things that you make for the Cavern over there. I've posted about Neolbah in the Fan Ages section, with pictures no less, and my posts are still there. Granted, Neolbah is somewhere in the wall of the Cavern and not in Ae'gura, but again, people have been making posts of some of their creations over there with no flak from the Mods lately.

Not to derail the thread, but Andy, I don't think anyone wants to move the discussions anywhere. What we have is a stop gap in the flow of information. Cyan's forum policies not only keep us from discussing freely and thus attracting new comers to the GOW forums and the GOMa forums, but also their vague stance on the subject turns us off from even wanting to discuss age creation on the game creators official forums. Which to me seems a real shame.

It's odd to me that Cyan would be willing to open source their game, but be so skittish when it comes to discussing the only avenue they have allowed open to those who are so willing to create and aid their idea.

In any event, I do think that a test server for MOULa would be a good idea to get up and running. It can always be privatized if Cyan balks at the idea.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Aloys » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:49 am

BAD wrote:It's odd to me that Cyan would be willing to open source their game, but be so skittish when it comes to discussing the only avenue they have allowed open to those who are so willing to create and aid their idea.

I'm afraid this is odd to everyone. :/

BAD wrote:In any event, I do think that a test server for MOULa would be a good idea to get up and running. It can always be privatized if Cyan balks at the idea.
As much as I don't like going against Cyan, that might just be the right thing to do if we don't want to lose too much momentum. We are almost in july, it's unlikely anything new will happen before september, and even then I'd be surprised if we get a test server. (let's not even talk about the actual sources)

[edit: typo]
Last edited by Aloys on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloys

Postby Egon » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Aloys wrote:
BAD wrote:It's odd to me that Cyan would be willing to open source their game, but be so skittish when it comes to discussing the only avenue they have allowed open to those who are so willing to create and aid their idea.

I'm afraid this this odd to everyone. :/

I started to think that Cyan understanding of "open source" is a "little" different from common meaning. I think that they want to eat a cake and have a cake: have open source benefits, and still have full control other their property. "Full" as in "ok, this silly 'open source' project is other, we are rolling back permission to twinkle with our game"...

Of course keeping control over Intelectual Property, is ok, but once You really open source engine code, it stays open source.
Egon #2052375
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon
Egon

Previous

Return to Plasma Development