Myst V Incompatability and Conversion

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Myst V Incompatability and Conversion

Postby Vince+1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 pm

hello!! been having a blast with Drizzle flymode and cheat commands!! but i'd like to convert Myst V ages into drizzle... the only problem is that alone Myst V will not run on my computer, but i am wondering if it will work if i plug in the Myst V ages into Drizzle or if there could be any adverse effects if i do???

i run URU on a laptop and Myst V has trouble with laptop graphics cards... but if i convert Myst V ages into drizzle will they run or will i encounter any adverse effects if i do?

Thanks!!
Vince+1

Re: Myst V Incompatability and Conversion

Postby diafero » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Since it is the Uru engine rendering the converted ages, they should work after conversion (though of course they are not properly playable as most of the actual age mechanis and wiring is lost).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Vince+1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:30 pm

woo hoo!! good to know... unplayable is fine with me since i really only intend to sight see anyway; but, i hope there isn't any place that is inaccessable because of that... is the wiering something that is lost durring conversion anyway? with flymode it's prob of no consequence anyway...

thanks for your timely response!! i'm working on getting Myst V installed and converted right now...
Vince+1

Postby Charura » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:33 pm

I'm glad for you that sight-seeing is okay but I choose to 'touch' as well...I hope that you can get back to the ground and feel the awesomeness ( is that a word? ).

Many are working on the opportunity for all of us to be united as one in Myst (URU) ...

And yes,...I read my post..I'll leave it as is...(I'm not a scholar :D by no means :ugeek: )
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby Vince+1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:02 pm

myst v converted ages are running great!! i must say it's astounding how well plug and play works for drizzle!! convient... one thing i've noticed with the myst v ages is that the game was designed with a first person camera and third person uru cam just doesn't mesh well in some parts of the environments...
... so i do alot of switching between first and third person...

sightseeing is all well and good... and the wiering is disabled but flymode circumvents some of the otherwise inaccessable areas... many of them have been cleared by default anyway...

but it would be nice to play a game when i otherwise can't play it... still great to finally see myst island in person after all these years...
Vince+1

Postby uru_rookie » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:50 am

Short question of a newbie, could be the right place here (sorry, if not):

I just converted Myst V with drizzle (3.0).
Playing URU_CC now, I visit the desert, jump over the fence and into the vulcano.

Everything of Myst V is visible now, I can travel around, but it is already "solved", it is not playable.

Is that correct or did I something wrong during conversion process? Or is there another tool which makes Myst V really "playable"?

Thanks in advance for your answers, although this might be a very silly question! :oops:
uru_rookie

Postby Sirius » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:20 pm

That's the expected behavior. Drizzle converts Myst V with almost no error on the visual side (except the loss of some reflective surfaces), but the whole wiring is not adapted to Uru, since the version of the engine (Plasma) is more recent in Myst V. Dustin (the guy who wrote Drizzle) supplemented some essential mechanisms (books, mainly) but everything else is broken, that's why the Age is "solved", to make sure you can visit it even though the mechanisms are not working. There is no tool yet to fix that (some people say it is not possible to get it working at all, so there will probably never be such tool).
MOUL is converted with only rare losses because although it is also a newest version of Plasma, this version is closer to Uru.
Sirius

Postby uru_rookie » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Thank you Sirius -
maybe another question.
I just converted Moula successful.
Would it also be possible to convert content from another shard than Moula (Gehn, TOC...) or instead of Moula?

Of course the base is always Moula-Client, despite the fact that I don't know if I would gain anything be doing that, but is it technically possible?
uru_rookie

Postby diafero » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:02 am

The other Shards use the same datafiles as MOULa, so there would be no difference.
Gehn has a MOUL-version of Vothol Galery, which is already available for CC - albeit in an older version.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:15 am

As far as I know, the PRPs (3D models, textures) are the same since Cyan doesn't allow redistributing modified version of their files. The main difference is in the engine and the Python scripts. So I doubt converting it would be of any use, since the CC client can't be modified and the Python scripts used after converting are the Offline-KI ones.

You should be able to convert the Fan-Ages on these Shards, though. However, this can't be done by just telling Drizzle to convert your Gehn folder as if it was MOUL's. You must use the "advanced" tab for this (something in "manual conversion->moul" I think. But I don't know how you can get the Python and SDL files of fan-Age on these Shards).
Sirius

Next

Return to Plasma Development