Incomprehensible crash

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Incomprehensible crash

Postby ddb174 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:09 am

Drizzle has a part on the "Misc" tab called "Run Tests" which will try to find sequence prefix conflicts. It can sometimes be helpful! And yeah, this has sometimes happened before when someone creates their own Age (or installs an Age not from UAM) which uses a prefix in use elsewhere. (I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it might be related.)
ddb174

Postby tangara » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:08 pm

:oops: :oops: I am so sorry Dustin. It is true : you have asked to me for sending to you the results of Run Tests and I forgot. I do it immediately. Please, forgive me ! :cry:
tangara

Postby ddb174 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:12 am

No problem; don't worry :)

(I prefer email to forums anyway. Sometimes I go several days without reading the forums.)
ddb174

Postby Chacal » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:11 pm

I had the same problem with several Ages failing to load, giving me a black screen like that.
I suspected corrupt files because Ihave been doing lots of tests lately.
I ran the Dizzle tests as mentioned, and the log ended like this:

Show Spoiler

I guessed that Fens was OK and the crash happened on the next file, so I looked in my dat folder, sorted alphabetically, to see what came after "Fens", and found a corrupt prp file.
Deleting that file solved the problem.
Dustin, thanks for those tests. However, maybe you should trap errors so that the test won't crash? So that it processes all prps.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby ddb174 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Yes, that could be done. Sometimes getting the stacktrace is more useful though, because it can point out precisely what the problem is.
ddb174

Previous

Return to Plasma Development