Command "set sphere"

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Command "set sphere"

Postby Annabelle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:00 pm

Hello,

there is a command with the Offline KI I don't quite understand.

The "set sphere" command. First of all it is not usable in Ahnonay age nor in those ages : Sphere 1, Sphere 2, Sphere 3 and Sphere 4. So I went in AhnonayMOUL age instead. It is working but what is the point? I just see the spheres revolves in the far distance from the little Shell portal balcony but not in "reality" well... the one of the game. If I input this line while in AhnonayMOUL "/set sphere 4" I will see the spheres turning but then when I use the book of the spheres ages, I still go in whatever Sphere I was before.

Maybe I had too much hope from this command like being able to really makes the spheres turn :( .
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Re: Command "set sphere"

Postby I.Brattin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:21 am

I don't know why the command works in one but not the other. But AhnonayMOUL and Ahnonay are two separate ages as far as the game is concerned. What happens in one will not affect the other. So rotating the spheres in AhnonayMOUL does nothing in Ahnonay.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Postby Sirius » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:32 am

Yes, Ahnonay and AhnonayMOUL are totally separated. I think the rotation is just an animation controlled via an SDL variable which tells which sphere number is currently "active". In the normal Ahnonay, it is controlled via Python, but it would be GREAT if there was a way to set it from the MOUL version. And maybe a better way than the /set sphere... maybe a lever somewhere. :roll:
Sirius

Postby diafero » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:26 pm

:lol: the point of that command is simply to enjoy the rotation sphere animation, which is otherwise impossible to trigger in the MOUL version.
The POTS version does not have such an animation, as it consists of four different ages, so when you are in a sphere, the game does not even know it is turning.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Annabelle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:19 pm

How come otherwise impossible? :?

the point of that command is simply to enjoy the rotation sphere animation, which is otherwise impossible to trigger in the MOUL version.

You don't know me do you? ;)

I can make them rotate like you do it with "/set sphere" inside MOULa.

There are plenty of things I do in MOULa more than plenty I'm a magician :D

Just put someone on an active sphere, do the sphere turning crack ( :lol: you need skills for that), then this sphere will become inactive, turn the active sphere, return to Kadish Office, stand still on the overlooking balcony and prepare yourself for the show, ask the explorer left on the inactive sphere to link to Ahnonay Cathedral and... voilà you are in for some animations :D
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Sirius » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:53 am

The sphere rotation can be seen the "normal way" in MOULa (multiplayer, put someone in each sphere). You don't need to climb the door ;) .

I think Diafero wanted to say this:
Diafero wrote:which is otherwise impossible to trigger in the PotS version
The PRP for the Vortex doesn't contain the sphere anim in PotS as you aren't supposed to it them rotating.

Hum, would it be technically possible to use a single Ahnonay Age as MOUL does ? Or would it cause too much bugs ?
Sirius

Postby diafero » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:05 am

Of course, I meant if would not be possible to trigger in POTS otherwise, sorry for the confusion. I have seen it several times in MOUL :) . Remember that (almost) all of the MOUL conversion work was done in times where we had no working MOUL server, so there was no way tor each that content. On the other hand, we (=Dustin and me) did not want to replace the full POTS Ahnonay, or add a complete 2nd version, so only the maintainer room with the new bridge got converted, and the animation got its command.
It would technically be possible, Sirius, do convert the full MOUL Ahnonay to POTS - but not only would that loose the ability to play it in single-player, and require tons of work to ensure the scripting is correct, especially when played offline, it would also lag as hell as POTS does not have the optimizations Cyan applied to MOUL to make age loading and handling faster.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:57 am

I know you don't want to replace PotS files. That was just to know if it was possible, because I would like to have a single Age with spheres animation when someone changes the active one. It would make things easier for save cloths and shell portails as it is saved in the age SDL file in MOUL and requires chronicles in PotS (is that right ?).
For the single-player problem, this is not hard on the PRP side: just extract the lever in the first sphere (and the clues for the PotS). Then tell it to be shown only in multi-player mode. The problem would be in Python, as you said...
This is just my idea, I know it is impossible to put it on Drizzle.

diafero wrote:And require tons of work to ensure the scripting is correct, especially when played offline, it would also lag as hell as POTS does not have the optimizations Cyan applied to MOUL to make age loading and handling faster.
Age loading faster ? That's quite hard to imagin on my PC :P . Do you mean the ability to load only a few Pages of the Age and not every spheres ?
Sirius

Postby diafero » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:54 am

It would make things easier for save cloths and shell portails as it is saved in the age SDL file in MOUL and requires chronicles in PotS (is that right ?).
POTS also uses SDL: it accesses the age SDL of Ahnonay (the cathedral) though the vault and stores the current sphere and cloth there.

For the single-player problem, this is not hard on the PRP side: just extract the lever in the first sphere (and the clues for the PotS).
Since the spheres most likely changed coordinates during the merge, I doubt it would be done by moving some objects around...

Age loading faster ? That's quite hard to imagin on my PC :P . Do you mean the ability to load only a few Pages of the Age and not every spheres ?
No, MOUL really loads ages faster that POTS. Gahreesen for example was loaded much quicker than offline. Also the game starts faster (well, if you ignore that huge useless download on startup and care only about the actual initialization).

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:01 am

1. If it uses the Cathedral sdl for save cloth, then it could be possible in PotS to store the shell cloth acquired in the Cathedral and not directly in Ahnonay ? Hum, could be interesting...
2. That's right. Then I should better think of changing page nums, age name and sequence prefix of the current version of Ahnonay we have with Drizzle (unfortunately impossible, it seems it can't change most of the age's sequence prefix). It would be even better for lever, clues and the water (the water never looks calm on MOULa).
3. Now that you said it, that's right. Really faster.
There is another strange thing: when you install the Offline-KI on PotS (even when you just install KI files), it really takes a lot more of time than without. Is it just because of the big Python file for the KI ?

Anyway, back to topic, it would be cool if the /set sphere command could set also the current sphere in "normal" Ahnonay. But way too complicated...
And maybe it could be a good idea to tell the command to use the good anim and not the wrong one. It shouldn't be too complicated with Python.
Sirius

Next

Return to Plasma Development