Holy Potatoes! OS Stuff Happened.

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Holy Potatoes! OS Stuff Happened.

Postby JWPlatt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:12 am

Aloys wrote:[edit] argh! there's now manual user approval over at the MOUL forums? :x Can't go away for 6 months without having the world turns on its end in my back can I? :oops:

Sorry. Spammers, don't'cha know! It's the same old story - trading freedom for security. :cry:

Also, from rarified at the OU Foundry, concerning access:
rarified wrote:Update: Our infrastructure held up well to the initial demand, and we feel confident now that we can eliminate the need to individually enable access to be able to download from the repositories. As of this moment there no longer is a need to check [the OU forum queue thread] for access; once you have established a JIRA account you should be able to clone the CyanWorlds.com Engine and MOSS repositories immediately.

You still will need to establish an account due to some configuration requirements of the Mercurial server to be able to limit modifications to the repository. When I get the details hammered out to be able to permit anonymous read access to the repository and still limit write access to authenticated users, I'll add that information [on the OU forum queue thread].

I've added the names of those individuals who registered overnight (my night!) and have automatically been granted access to the [queue list], just to confirm we saw your registration. Some of you have already discovered that access was enabled; for the rest, have at it.

I no longer will be updating [the queue list] with individual names, but I will post another update when the totally anonymous access has been implemented and available. Thanks all!
OpenUru.org: An Uru project resource site.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Postby Paradox » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:14 am

JWPlatt wrote:Right, GPNMilano. The raw downloads are available without an account.

However, we are initially throttling cloning from the repo via Foundry JIRA account. Once it settles down, the repo will be completely open to public browsing. It is not busy right now, so we are leaving Fisheye and Mercurial open for the night (i.e. no account necessary). We'll keep an eye on traffic and throttle if/when necessary. We don't expect that to last long anyway.

The raw download zip is direct from Cyan and is not buildable. The CWE repo client is buildable, thanks to a'moaca' and cjkelly1. MOSS is buildable. (The pair produce a legal, working shard.) The 3ds Max plugin needs your help.

Well not being able to initially clone without an account is still a bit of a put-off... why not mirror on a host like bitbucket?

On that note, there are a bunch of changes to make it compile in Visual Studio 2010... what's the process to get those merged? Without a forking/pull request system, I don't see how contributions can be dealt with in a sane manner (and I don't consider massive patches attached to a bug tracker as "sane").
Paradox

Postby Trylon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:43 pm

Wow, I have to add in to the chorus chanting "I never thought this would happen".
I guess going away for a few months paid off for me :P

/me waves at everyone.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Jamey » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:08 pm

I'm glad to see the day has finally arrived! I'm looking forward to seeing even more new developments from the fans, and maybe even Cyan in the future if things go well from here :)

Best of luck to everyone! :D
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby rarified » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Hello Paradox, I'll take a stab at your points...

Paradox wrote:Well not being able to initially clone without an account is still a bit of a put-off... why not mirror on a host like bitbucket?
I hope it's not too much of one. As JW has mentioned elsewhere, we just didn't know what the demand would be. It's not often that a full featured game engine transitions from private to open source. We tried hard to make things work, the first time, for everyone. And, as part of the choice to use Mercurial, we expected that after the first few clones were retrieved, they would be used to start offering clones themselves, rather than having everyone depend on the OpenUru repository. There are also some topology considerations that make it desirable to keep a repository resident on the Foundry system. The Foundry was conceived to be much more than just a repository host (or even the bugtracking, source browsing, and source review site). I'm hoping to have the Foundry make it easier for people to contribute to the open Uru project even if they're uninterested or unwilling to become skilled in the entire universe of tools and processes to create an instance of Uru. I'm doing this by provided automated building facilities for several platforms, from various Windows flavors to *nix, and maybe even MacOS. Building not confined to compiling code, but perhaps making batch model processing and/or rendering available, automated testing, documentation such as Doxygen, assembling an entire shard into an installer, etc. All of this starts from a repository (which is more efficient locally) and ends up with publicly downloadable build artifacts, browsable documents, etc. If the community has the opportunity to obtain a license to an expensive tool that would be helpful, I'd be happy to put it in an automated flow that anyone can use. It's a community resource.

The whole point of automation is in having a process be reproducible. Binaries are always built against the same libraries, with the same compilers. The same version of Blender is used to render something. And so on.

On that note, there are a bunch of changes to make it compile in Visual Studio 2010... what's the process to get those merged? Without a forking/pull request system, I don't see how contributions can be dealt with in a sane manner (and I don't consider massive patches attached to a bug tracker as "sane").
Branan has already started a dialog on the OU forums about possible processes, and it both (1) meshes in with some of our thoughts on a hierarchy of work/reviewed/qualified stages, and (2) uses Bitbucket for it's simplicity. But I do want to see if we can address some possible constraints on changes. I would assume that there would be interest to make some changes compatible with the current Cyan installation, so they can just drop fixes in and the general population would see the improvements. But at the same time people are interested as you point out in moving to more modern tools, libraries, etc. So we're going to going to have some guidelines as to where it's appropriate for various types of changes. I'm hoping to put out a reply to Branan later tonight and see what we can start to refine and propose.

On that topic, which do you see is more important... Set something shared up immediately because contributions are already backlogged, and perhaps have to change the process flow in a little while, or spend some time (days, not weeks) trying to anticipate some of these various configurations and come up with a fairly clear generalization? We could do either (and I don't think anything we do would really delay anyone's work right now).

There are so many items to cover, and it must be done with input from all interested parties. I'm glad to learn and integrate your thoughts about reviewing contributions, when more or less rigor in process is necessary, and yes, even repository organization.

_R
rarified

Postby Jadawin12 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:24 am

Aloys wrote:[edit] argh! there's now manual user approval over at the MOUL forums? :x Can't go away for 6 months without having the world turns on its end in my back can I? :oops:

I know. I popped by saw the wonderful news and wanted to join in the fun and now must wait till I get allowed back in.
Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom
KI: 01632887
Jadawin12

Postby Finn » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:47 pm

Can we play our ages on MOUL yet? And how's the Blender-to-MOUL plugin coming along?
Finn

Postby diafero » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:40 am

Can we play our ages on MOUL yet?
Which MOUL? If you mean MOULa, the answer is no, and don't expect that to change anytime soon.
There's however software available for people to host their own MOUL-compatible Shards, namely DirtSand and MOSS. I don't know of any such Shard with a fan-age on it though.

And how's the Blender-to-MOUL plugin coming along?
Have a look at this :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Previous

Return to Plasma Development