What do you want from the developers moving forward?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: What do you want from the developers moving forward?

Postby dendwaler » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:08 am

but did you try to make yourself familiar with the paging concept?

yes , i am familiair with it, but could not use it in my case.
thx anyway.
sorry , on topic again!
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:56 am

As another long term wishlist item...

I'd like to have the ability to run single player, and/or co-op multiplayer (note: I do /not/ mean MMO-style multiplayer)

Something sort of like hosting a game in l4d, or HL2 Deathmatch... or the game that's made me appreciate this style of playing and how it could apply to uru - Neverwinter Nights 1.

Basically, you grabbed a few friends, hosted a game... and run around in the world. You did your stuff, quests, etc, whatever. The game "Saved" every so often, and when you were done, you all said goodbye/goodnight, and you all left. When you felt like picking it up again.. you hosted the session, and picked up where you left off. None of this mmo stuff. >.>

I think NWN used to call it "intimate multiplayer" eh, whatever.

Of course, in nwn1 people ran "persistant worlds" too, which were just like mmos, really. But both co-existed. And what I'd like to do is have that "intimate multiplayer" style gameplay available, down the track, for a group of friends, whatever, who want to go explore D'ni (or etc) as a group. Its sort of how I always imagined DIRT.. of course, DIRT was really pure single player, but I always loved the thought of exploring the cavern with a small group and being otherwise alone in that glorious deep city. As a side note, for this sort of thing, the flashlight stuff as seen in the Degas demo would be neat. >.>
Last edited by kaelisebonrai on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaelisebonrai

Postby Tweek » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:41 am

kaelisebonrai wrote:Something sort of like hosting a game in l4d, or HL2 Deathmatch... or the game that's made me appreciate this style of playing an d how it could apply to uru - Neverwinter Nights 1.

This, this, a thousand times this.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby JWPlatt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:45 am

kaelisebonrai wrote:As another long term wishlist item...

I'd like to have the ability to run single player, and/or co-op multiplayer (note: I do /not/ mean MMO-style multiplayer)

Something sort of like hosting a game in l4d, or HL2 Deathmatch... or the game that's made me appreciate this style of playing and how it could apply to uru - Neverwinter Nights 1.

Basically, you grabbed a few friends, hosted a game... and run around in the world. You did your stuff, quests, etc, whatever. The game "Saved" every so often, and when you were done, you all said goodbye/goodnight, and you all left. When you felt like picking it up again.. you hosted the session, and picked up where you left off. None of this mmo stuff. >.>

I think NWN used to call it "intimate multiplayer" eh, whatever.

I called it "Serving MOUL Peer To Peer" right here on these forums.

Twice.

It was not well received, to put it mildly. Why? Who knows. Maybe things have changed? I'd like to see it happen.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1556 ("Serving MOUL Peer To Peer" #1)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4680 ("Serving MOUL Peer To Peer" #2)
OpenUru.org: An Uru project resource site.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:20 am

Well, to me, it appears your goals are very different to mine, and differing goals require differing implementations.

Also, from reading the threads, i personally don't feel you went about it the right way.

In any case, it looks like we want different things - I want a DIRT-style affair, small, tight knit groups of explorers... exploring together... it appears you want a peer-to-peer Uru-style affair... and the two are.. interestingly enough, /very/ different approaches that would require differing implementations.

I much prefer mine. But, whatever floats your boat.
kaelisebonrai

Postby JWPlatt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:26 am

A spontaneous shard of friends - either on the LAN or on the WAN - is what I'm after. It seems to be congruent with your description.
JWPlatt

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:44 am

JWPlatt wrote:It seems to be congruent with your description.

No, you're describing two different things. What you indicted you wanted was a peer-to-peer protocol that could scale up to handle many users. Kaelis on the other hand is asking for the ability to run a MOUL server from the game itself and let other people connect to the hoster--this is not P2P.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby semplerfi » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:05 am

To not see a whole bunch of posts & threads stating "I said It first." :P
semplerfi

Postby Whilyam » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:45 am

semplerfi wrote:

To not see a whole bunch of posts & threads stating "I said It first." :P

I wanted to see that first! :P
Whilyam

Postby JWPlatt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:17 am

I suppose you could take it that way. Or you could be reassured that there is a common interest on which to work together. That's part of what I would like to see "from the developers moving forward." It just depends on how you enjoy to think about things.
JWPlatt

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development