What do you want from the developers moving forward?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: What do you want from the developers moving forward?

Postby Branan » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:27 am

From a technical standpoint, a P2P network system and a local server are very different.

That being said, I think everyone needs to try and be a bit less argumentative, at least for a week while we all sort out what we're doing with the code. Myself included.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby N. Sigismund » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:43 am

Branan wrote:That being said, I think everyone needs to try and be a bit less argumentative, at least for a week while we all sort out what we're doing with the code. Myself included.

This. I've fallen into this trap before, and all the arguing does is derail good threads. Not that the idea of a less remote server based multiplayer experience is a bad one, though.
For reference:
IC: Nye Morgan
OOC: Sigismund, Nye, Huw Dawson
N. Sigismund

Postby J'Kla » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Previous objections to the P2P were mainly about Uru being draged into the first person shooter camp with guns and all that that implies. To be fair if that happens as well as the other stuff then it's no big deal.

I guess what I want to see is a MOULa type shard thats stable and is able to host fan ages built with whatever.

My personal first choice for that build software would be an UruBlender package capable of importing from and exporting to Blender 2.49b, 3dMax v7,8,9...... or allready built ages.

With a simple means of looking at an age in progress inside UruBlender and a way of dumping said age to some local playable method like CC for primary testing and also to an zipped export uploader for incorporation into a specific shard.

What I don't know if it is possible a lot of people have been talking about fixing the KI would it be possible to do what I suggested earlier an alternative KI
J'Kla

Postby Aloys » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm not a big fan of shards; presently the Uru player base is so small, it will only divide into even small player groups and most shards will be ghost towns.. :/
I do understand it's both inevitable (since the server binaries are available); and the only viable way to go (unless someone has access to a free data center where to host a large Uru server).
Ha well.
Aloys

Postby Tweek » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Yeah I'm more interested in having a version of Uru offline that runs on the MOUL era engine.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby GPNMilano » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Tweek wrote:Yeah I'm more interested in having a version of Uru offline that runs on the MOUL era engine.

This will nearly be a requirement for the average age developer anyway. We've gotten so accustom to building for Offline Uru and then porting that the average person isn't going to be able to host their own shard simply to test their creations. A offline MOUL era engine for testing purproses will be needed. Obviously it'd be the best of both worlds if we can make a single install do both offline and online, reading from two different vaults depending on which you choose.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Aloys » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:42 pm

The debug client will allow us to test Ages offline.
Aloys

Postby N. Sigismund » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:49 pm

The debug client seems to include a robust set of testing tools, too. You can set stuff like waveset values from inside the client! Needless to say that makes me a happy panda.
For reference:
IC: Nye Morgan
OOC: Sigismund, Nye, Huw Dawson
N. Sigismund

Postby Aloys » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:00 pm

The console is loaded with useful commands; but my favorite thing is that the fly mode is smooooth. Makes it much more enjoyable.
Aloys

Postby Fuchida » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:50 am

Maybe already mentioned, but how about "shared Server"-Technology, like Opensim has with it's hypergrids.

So instead of tons of shards, all the people that wanna use a server with it, can hang their resources "into" the hypershard. It makes the "whole" perform better and say all the "homewritten" ages are accesible through a Shard-Nexus book. Let's say. Main Server is Cyan-based. Hosting the "Public Ages" D'ni City and some of the neighbourhoods (Guild Bevins and stuff) then there is Server A. In Germany some guy made a server. He has 4 Fan made Ages. Let's Say "T'ley, H'ron, S'tro, Laverna" (random names). When we play as a normal player, we access the public "D'ni City". One new area is added, so called "Shard-Nexus" A nexus with Ages outside of the Main Server. There it would say "Server Weisswurst (Germany) - 4 fan made ages host of German Bevin and Weisswurst Pub". We click on it and "tadaa" a german Bevin appears in which we will find linking books to the 4 worlds...

With this solution (if possible) the Main Cyan Server wouldn't have to update anything else then the Shard-Nexus and has no work of implementing other age linking books...
Plus, the Maintainersguild could in their Bevin be the first to have a "Shard-Testing Nexus"-if let's say this Weisswurst Server addeds an age or a new server wants to be registered with cyan, these are added here, where the maintainers from the main server can go to the the shard, test new added ages and if all is okay can set a flag called "Approved" and then Cyan can with one click send it over into the "public Shard-Nexus".

On another Topic, it would be really nice to have a blender "addon" with a little menu, that serves as a mask for the coding. In the background still code is made, but as user just seeing the menu, typing in names, parameters and maybe following some instruction like "Scale this empty named [empty.1] to the size of your ladder with y axis away from the wall", would be nice and just take away all the repetition of code.

That's my 50 Rappen
Fuchida

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development