What do you want from the developers moving forward?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: What do you want from the developers moving forward?

Postby diafero » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:25 am

Wow, a whole lot of great ideas and much more two years than ever in the last one or two years ;-)

What I consider very important is a working way of centrally managing resources that need to be centrally assigned: Sequence Numbers have been mentioned. Relto Pages, clothing, animations would be other examples.

Regarding format changes: I know prp is currently neither forward nor backwards compatible, but can't that be changed? MOUL has a concept of version numbers for classes, so maybe could the format be changed in a way that the original MOUL files can still be read?

And third, what are your plans for the server? I know we have MOSS working and DirtSand in early development, but wouldn't it make sense to implement a server based on CWE code? Having too many different implementations of Uru format and classes will just make things more complicated (especially format changes), and we currently have CWE, libHSPlasma (necessary for PyPRP), and MOSS.
Cyan announced to also open-source the server, right? Did they give a timeframe?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby GPNMilano » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:06 pm

diafero wrote:Cyan announced to also open-source the server, right? Did they give a timeframe?

Yes. "Not Soon" i believe was the timeframe.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:21 pm

Add my votes to PyPRP 2 and a standalone CWE client.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:43 pm

I still stand by my idea that compiling the debug client would be a productive project. ;) And hopefully it wouldn't be too time consuming to do.
Aloys

Postby Branan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:21 pm

We can build any combination of Internal/External Debug/Release we want at this point. It's just a matter of actually packaging one for general consumption. This won't happen until we're ready to start setting up a server for general public use. Anyone who can build their own server should be able to build the client for it as well ;)
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Aloys » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:06 pm

How does being able to put together a server package influence the release of the client binaries? IIRC you could simply install an internal debug client on a regular release Uru/MOUL client, all that is needed is the binary itself plus the specific SP.dll and simly overwrites existing files, no other setup needed.
Aloys

Postby Branan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm

I don't want to be help responsible for any mayhem that might ensue if I release an internal build that can connect to Cyan's servers. I'd rather play it safe and hold off on releaseing a build until there's a more experimentation-friendly server available.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Aloys » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:32 pm

Good point.
Although that could be fun, some people would probably disagree. (the nerve of some people.. :P )
I guess I could find some valid arguments to further my cause (like: it'd be easy to make sure the client can't connect anywhere; or: it's open source so anyone could compile it and connect to Cyan's servers anyway etc), but I'll let you guys sort out the priorities since you're doing the work and I'm not.
Aloys

Postby N. Sigismund » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:59 am

Aloys wrote: anyone could compile it and connect to Cyan's servers anyway etc

Which is a critical problem, I fear. I shudder to think about how much work would need to be done to server code to make it so that a lot of the hidden fun stuff that can be done with an ID build can't actually be done on normal servers. :\

EDIT: Might as well point out that I mean when we get the server code.
Last edited by N. Sigismund on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
For reference:
IC: Nye Morgan
OOC: Sigismund, Nye, Huw Dawson
N. Sigismund

Postby Chacal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:39 am

Branan wrote:I don't want to be help responsible for any mayhem that might ensue if I release an internal build that can connect to Cyan's servers. I'd rather play it safe and hold off on releaseing a build until there's a more experimentation-friendly server available.

I'm confused. You released an experimental MOUL client some time ago (sorry I forget the name).
To which server did you connect for testing it?
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development