What do you want from the developers moving forward?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: What do you want from the developers moving forward?

Postby N. Sigismund » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:50 am

Chacal wrote:I'm confused. You released an experimental MOUL client some time ago (sorry I forget the name).
To which server did you connect for testing it?

To be fair, PC's functionality was far less than what you can do with an Internal Debug client.

Unless I'm out of date by now, another reason that the GoW team can't release anything is because Cyan's not put in the right license exceptions to allow the GPL v3 code (the CWE) to be packaged in a built way with non GPL code (PhysX, for example). Clients can be built, but you can't distribute that client. I believe the same applies with the plugin.
For reference:
IC: Nye Morgan
OOC: Sigismund, Nye, Huw Dawson
N. Sigismund

Postby Branan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:43 pm

N. Sigismund wrote:
Chacal wrote:I'm confused. You released an experimental MOUL client some time ago (sorry I forget the name).
To which server did you connect for testing it?

To be fair, PC's functionality was far less than what you can do with an Internal Debug client.

Unless I'm out of date by now, another reason that the GoW team can't release anything is because Cyan's not put in the right license exceptions to allow the GPL v3 code (the CWE) to be packaged in a built way with non GPL code (PhysX, for example). Clients can be built, but you can't distribute that client. I believe the same applies with the plugin.

Both points are correct. I've been in touch with Cyan legal about the licensing issue, and so far that hasn't been fixed.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Aloys » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:34 pm

I haven't followed much the various licenses issues, but if I am reading this correctly the compiled client cannot be published currently because of a license issue? As in: Cyan published an Open Source code with a license that doesn't allow the binaries to be distributed? Unless you took out the non license-compliant code, making the whole client useless.
Surely I must be reading that wrong.
Aloys

Postby N. Sigismund » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Bingo. You cannot distribute compiled code that bundles GPLv3 code with non GPL code. You can thank Teevo, I believe.

That said, there's hopefully a nice little video tutorial popping up soon that will show you how to make yourself a CWE client by compiling it, for free.
For reference:
IC: Nye Morgan
OOC: Sigismund, Nye, Huw Dawson
N. Sigismund

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:53 pm

N. Sigismund wrote:Bingo. You cannot distribute compiled code that bundles GPLv3 code with non GPL code. You can thank Teevo, I believe.

That said, there's hopefully a nice little video tutorial popping up soon that will show you how to make yourself a CWE client by compiling it, for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZbMf5W67UI

That sexy devil you get to listen to is none other than yours truly.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Branan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:42 pm

In my (brief) discussion with Cyan Legal, they explained why they thought they didn't need that bit of language. They're wrong, but that being said I doubt Cyan has any intention of trying to sue anyone who distributes CWE builds. Waiting for fixes is a "better safe than sorry" thing, but we're not going to wait forever.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Getting back to topic.

Not that it was too far removed.

Would there be any way we could build macro key assignments into the KI / Interface.

For example assign /clearchat to [ctrl][c] at the moment we have various emotes assigned to function keys could we enable reasignment of those keys?
J'Kla

Postby Chacal » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Branan wrote:
Both points are correct. I've been in touch with Cyan legal about the licensing issue, and so far that hasn't been fixed.

I'm still curious though. What server did you use for testing?
It doesn't seem possible to develop a client without a server to test it against.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby bnewton81 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:15 am

WTF! We got the code? When did this happen? I just swore on a stack of bibles to someone the other day that Cyan would never compile that code for us.
bnewton81

Postby Calam » Fri May 06, 2011 10:54 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:
N. Sigismund wrote:Bingo. You cannot distribute compiled code that bundles GPLv3 code with non GPL code. You can thank Teevo, I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZbMf5W67UI

That sexy devil you get to listen to is none other than yours truly.

I watched it just because I wanted to hear what you sounded like. :lol:
Calam

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development