Regarding dirtsand

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Regarding dirtsand

Postby diafero » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:51 am

I would however not upload anything to dropbox without encrypting it beforehand..
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/05/dropbox-ftc/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20072 ... -required/
Maybe just my general anti-cloud stance though, I kinda like my data on my own disc ;-)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Chacal » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:53 pm

I would never put sensitive information on a public cloud, be it Dropbaox, Google, Amazon or Microsoft, without strong encryption.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby phoenix » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:01 am

Hey Fellas

Here is a dirtsand issue you may be able to help with. I have dirtsand almost fully configured, but just cant get a new username and password into it:

When I run the command

$ bin/dirtsand dirtsand.ini

I get;

Code: Select all
    dirtsand@charliebox:~$ bin/dirtsand dirtsand.ini
    ds-902> [Lobby] Running on 127.0.0.1/14617
    Error connecting to postgres: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "dirtsand"
    FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "dirtsand"

On top of that I made sure I restarted postgres;

sudo /etc/init.d/postgres restart

And lastly, does postgres need apache running?

I did post this to Zrax, but I guess he is on holiday or busy coding, so haven't heard from him yet.

Any ideas?

Phoenix
phoenix

Postby Deledrius » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:25 am

Please check that the Db.Host, Db.Port, Db.Username, Db.Password, and Db.Database options in your dirtsand.ini are correct for the account you created in PostgreSQL. If you followed the directions in the dirtsand Readme and are using the sample ini, it's likely you only need to change the Db.Password field.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby phoenix » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:58 am

Yes, that is correct. I followed the dirtsand readme closely and the only field that is original is the password.

I did check the password and I missed a digit, apologies for my error, but now I get a new string of errors.

[Vault] Initializing empty DirtSand vault
[SDL] Requested invalid descriptor GuildPub-Cartographers
[Vault] Warning: Could not find SDL descriptor for GuildPub-Cartographers
[SDL] Requested invalid descriptor GuildPub-Greeters
[Vault] Warning: Could not find SDL descriptor for GuildPub-Greeters
[SDL] Requested invalid descriptor GuildPub-Maintainers
[Vault] Warning: Could not find SDL descriptor for GuildPub-Maintainers
[SDL] Requested invalid descriptor GuildPub-Messengers
[Vault] Warning: Could not find SDL descriptor for GuildPub-Messengers
[SDL] Requested invalid descriptor GuildPub-Writers
[Vault] Warning: Could not find SDL descriptor for GuildPub-Writers

If I press enter directly after the error, I get to the dirtsand prompt:

ds-902>

Then I can enter

ds-209> addacct <username> <password>

How do I resolve the string of errors? and...

Am I right in reasoning they have nothing to do with the account creation function?

And lastly, how do I check a listing of the users I have created for dirtsand?

Phoenix
phoenix

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:45 am

I know nothing about Dirtsand but I think I know why you are getting that error. The guild pubs do not have their own sdl files. They use the sdl descriptor of GreatTreePub from which they were copied. Perhaps Dirtsand does not expect a quirk like that.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Deledrius » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:54 am

phoenix wrote:How do I resolve the string of errors?

Those aren't errors, they're warnings. For now, I believe they can be safely ignored.

phoenix wrote:Am I right in reasoning they have nothing to do with the account creation function?

Correct. Those displayed when it was loading the vault SDL, if I'm not mistaken, as D'Lanor said.

phoenix wrote:And lastly, how do I check a listing of the users I have created for dirtsand?

You can type help for a list of commands. There does not currently seem to be a command to list all accounts, but you can see them in the auth.Accounts table of your dirtsand database.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby phoenix » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:07 am

I installed pgadmin3 and have access to the database and have verified the one user I added.

Nice!

Now a quick question on the positional tracking issue I rasied up in "The Future of MOULa" because I would like to know if it relates to postgres.

When an avatar moves (forward, backwards, sideway, whatever) do all these movements get tracked realtime in postgres (instead of a 3d tracking array in memory)?
phoenix

Postby Zrax » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:47 pm

phoenix wrote:When an avatar moves (forward, backwards, sideway, whatever) do all these movements get tracked realtime in postgres (instead of a 3d tracking array in memory)?

Avatar movements are not persistent states, therefore they will never get written to postgres at all... As for persistent SDL (such as kickables), those will be saved in the postgres database. DirtSand doesn't currently do any specific optimization for persistent storage writes, but usually database programs are smart enough to handle caching of data fairly efficiently.
Zrax

Postby Paradox » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Zrax wrote:
phoenix wrote:When an avatar moves (forward, backwards, sideway, whatever) do all these movements get tracked realtime in postgres (instead of a 3d tracking array in memory)?

Avatar movements are not persistent states, therefore they will never get written to postgres at all... As for persistent SDL (such as kickables), those will be saved in the postgres database. DirtSand doesn't currently do any specific optimization for persistent storage writes, but usually database programs are smart enough to handle caching of data fairly efficiently.

I wonder how much a server could benefit from memcached. Age nodes should be long-time cacheable, and probably player nodes as well (not player info nodes, or age instance nodes though)
Paradox

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development