CWE Patching System

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

CWE Patching System

Postby nathan2055 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 am

Excuse me, but I might build a MOSS shard soon. Exactly how do I do it and what will I need?
Last edited by nathan2055 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently an official representative of the Guild of Writers.
Nathan2055 (01307567) on MO:ULagain - NAL2055 (00071382) on The Deep Island Shard
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Re: Building a MOSS Shard

Postby Branan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:12 am

None of us knows much about MOSS - we'd been developing our own server (DirtSand) and we're still working on that code, rather than moving to the MOSS codebase. Your best bet is to ask for help at the OpenURU forums.

At the moment, I'd still recommend MOSS over DirtSand for a casual shard, as DirtSand's additional features probably don't make up for the stuff that's currently broken.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Chacal » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:45 am

Are they interoperable?
I don't mean with the client, I mean between services.
Could I use one's auth server with another's data server or vault?
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Branan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:42 am

No. There's no standard way for game/auth/vault to talk to each other, and each server has its own methods.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby nathan2055 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:25 pm

So, if I were to build a simple, private (for now), shard, I should use MOSS and the GoW's CWE fork? Got it. Now, I read on the OpenUru site that one can't edit and redistribute Cyan's Age files. If that's true, then how do we get to fan Ages in a shard?

EDIT: What other than CWE and MOSS do I need to run a shard (I know I need a computer, but what else)?
Nathan2055 (01307567) on MO:ULagain - NAL2055 (00071382) on The Deep Island Shard
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Postby Paradox » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:41 pm

nathan2055 wrote:So, if I were to build a simple, private (for now), shard, I should use MOSS and the GoW's CWE fork? Got it. Now, I read on the OpenUru site that one can't edit and redistribute Cyan's Age files. If that's true, then how do we get to fan Ages in a shard?

For a private shard (meaning, only you accessing it on your local network) you don't really need to worry.
What you cannot do is host a public shard that redistributes Cyan files, because we don't have any licence for those files.

nathan2055 wrote:What other than CWE and MOSS do I need to run a shard (I know I need a computer, but what else)?

Both MOSS and DirtSand require Linux, and a PostgreSQL database server.
Paradox

Postby nathan2055 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:52 pm

Paradox wrote:...and a PostgreSQL database server

What is a PostgreSQL database server?
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Postby semplerfi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:41 pm

semplerfi

Postby Branan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:46 pm

You can't edit the PRP files, but the python, SDL, and .age files are GPL'd just like the rest of the source code. You should be able to add links in whatever manner you want by modifying those, and possibly adding a .prp file of your own.

Regarding PostgreSQL... this is where I tell you to learn a bit more before you try to do all this yourself, or wait until someone's got it all packaged up and ready for you to use. Building programs from the source isn't terribly hard, but if you're not familiar with it than it can be quite frustrating. DirtSand and MOSS both require some knowledge of the Linux command line to be able to build and run them. We'll happily help you build CWE and DirtSand, but you'll need to find other sites for general programming and Linux information - that would be pretty far off topic for the GoW fora.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby nathan2055 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Branan wrote:You can't edit the PRP files, but the python, SDL, and .age files are GPL'd just like the rest of the source code. You should be able to add links in whatever manner you want by modifying those, and possibly adding a .prp file of your own.

Regarding PostgreSQL... this is where I tell you to learn a bit more before you try to do all this yourself, or wait until someone's got it all packaged up and ready for you to use. Building programs from the source isn't terribly hard, but if you're not familiar with it than it can be quite frustrating. DirtSand and MOSS both require some knowledge of the Linux command line to be able to build and run them. We'll happily help you build CWE and DirtSand, but you'll need to find other sites for general programming and Linux information - that would be pretty far off topic for the GoW fora.

Ah. So one could edit the Nexus interface to add some kind of a GUI update? I'm still not sure what each of the types of files do (as I'm still new to Age writing). So, an important thing to do would be to write a new Nexus GUI, port the other features of the Offline KI and UAM KI plugin, then package everything up in some kind of package or virtual machine so people can easily make shards without having to know Linux and such.
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Next

Return to Plasma Development