Hard Mode Idea

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Hard Mode Idea

Postby Stucuk » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:06 pm

The idea of hard mode would be that on ages which support it, there would be a new button at the bottom of the screen. When clicked it would reset the age, put you at the beginning of the age and turn on/off hard mode for that age. Basically the concept is that age writers could then add difficulty options to there ages, so puzzles could become harder, player abilities(I.e jump distance) could be more limited, etc.
-Stu
Stucuk

Re: Hard Mode Idea

Postby Lontahv » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Speaking from an age-creator stand-point, puzzles are hard enough to design, making them to work at different levels of hardness is very hard to do in a convincing way. Different levels of hardness can only work well in action/twitch games eg. racing games or shooters. The hardness of this type of game is controlled almost solely by adjusting the AI of the opponents. Uru is primarily a puzzle game, and time and time again when it tries to be something else (wanna play Jalak... :P), it fails miserably. That said, I think shooters and racing games are very fun, however, Plasma is not a good base for action games.

If an age-creator wants to give some players a break while challenging others, bonus solutions to puzzles can be added. Something like this: the easier code opens the door that continues the age's gameplay and story, while the harder to solve code opens a door to a room that contains a new piece of clothing. :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Re: Hard Mode Idea

Postby J'Kla » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:36 am

I was considering a method for making a single task easier based on some given value in the vault even the concept of stretching it beyond to encompass an age short of writing two versions of an age where there were two versions of the same age physicality.

The nearest example I can think of for this is the cleft where you have a dry and a rainy version.

To make my version viable I would need some variable in the vault and Its resultant would make one or another region active.

Aditional to this point would be the choice would be action based that is to say Task "D" has some level of difficulty and is depentent on tasks "A","B" and "C" the status of task "D" depends on factors established in tasks "A","B" or "C". be that order speed or some other variation.
J'Kla

Return to Plasma Development