Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: What do you want from the developers moving forward?

Postby J'Kla » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:05 am

If we could implement a proper gps or compass then the current method of run times (which is frankly an unrealistic way of solving Mintaka) or counted paces without a true direction (also unrealistic).
J'Kla

Postby nathan2055 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:11 am

Sirius wrote:
Stucuk wrote:Wouldn't explorers be fit? As in they would be use to climbing, running and jumping so they wouldn't get out of breath easily like us lazy people sitting behind computers. So i don't see how making the character go "Im out of breath" is realistic. Most of the "Im out of breath" systems for games are far from realistic, your character does hardly any running/whatever and they are out of breath.

Yes, that's why I don't think we need any "health bar" in a side of the screen. But as said J'Kla, for such things as climbing the Great Stairs or running in Minkata for hours, the avatar should run (only a bit) slower and make short jumps for a few time. Just to avoid running for hours at the same speed.
When finally the player stops running, the avatar takes back his breath if he is standing and doing nothing, else if he is walking he simply walks as usual and that gives him back energy. But the player could still run, even if slower.
It might be a problem to solve Minkata, however.

Well, ok, we might have a greater need of fixes for network-related bugs, or to improve the loading of Ages and all that.

What I think is if your avatar runs for a while, when you stop it goes into a deep breath animation, almost like if you have lost almost all of your health in a The Legend of Zelda game. You can resume running at any time, in which your avatar just gets up and starts running again.
Currently an official representative of the Guild of Writers.
Nathan2055 (01307567) on MO:ULagain - NAL2055 (00071382) on The Deep Island Shard
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Postby Sirius » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:32 am

nathan2055 wrote:What I think is if your avatar runs for a while, when you stop it goes into a deep breath animation, almost like if you have lost almost all of your health in a The Legend of Zelda game. You can resume running at any time, in which your avatar just gets up and starts running again.
Hehe. That's exactly the game I was thinking to. However I still think running a bit slower after a long run would be better (except if you drink a red potion, but I doubt you'll find someone selling it in Uru :lol: ).

J'Kla wrote:If we could implement a proper gps or compass then the current method of run times (which is frankly an unrealistic way of solving Mintaka) or counted paces without a true direction (also unrealistic).
I thought about the KI's GPS but I'm not sure it will be easy as you can't set yourself (I mean, the avatar) the origin of it. Anyway, I'm sure not everyone will like it, and that can be understood.

I think the priority is really bugfixes and, as said earlier, porting the game to other OS.
Sirius

Postby nathan2055 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:55 am

Sirius wrote:...I thought about the KI's GPS but I'm not sure it will be easy as you can't set yourself (I mean, the avatar) the origin of it. Anyway, I'm sure not everyone will like it, and that can be understood....

It seems if we want to implement something like slowing down if we run too far, it will definitely make Minkata harder to solve (it's hard enough already).
Anyway, slowing down might also make actions like climbing the Great Stairs a lot more difficult. Here are other actions that might be slowed down:

1. Going from Bevin's courtyard to the Eder Delin/Tsogal book (a fair amount of nonstop running).
2. Solving a very large fan Age like Janga.
3. Climbing/descending the Great Stairs.
4. Exploring Minkata.
5. Running through the city (i.e. To get from the Tokaotah link-in point to the library, for example).
------------------
I just got an idea from writing that list! Another thing I would love to see is new explorable areas of Ae'gura, like the Guild Hall, or the Aquarium.
Nathan2055 (01307567) on MO:ULagain - NAL2055 (00071382) on The Deep Island Shard
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Postby Stucuk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:01 am

Too much "Realism" kills gameplay. Gameplay is more important than Realism and always should be(Though you do need some level of Realism). From what i can tell it wouldn't make the game any better if players were slowed if they ran longer than some random number someone comes up with, it would just annoy people.

In any case i still don't see how its going to make the game more realistic, you only get out of breath in real life if you over exert yourself. You don't get out of breath or run slower if you are running at your own pace (Rather than flat out) in real life(Well unless your unfit, but explorers are going to get fit if they were not already fit due to all the walking/running/climbing/etc they are doing). The avatars don't in my opinion run at there full speed, its more like jogging. So they should be able to run for a long time.
-Stu
Stucuk

Postby nathan2055 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:15 am

Stucuk wrote:Too much "Realism" kills gameplay. Gameplay is more important than Realism and always should be(Though you do need some level of Realism). From what i can tell it wouldn't make the game any better if players were slowed if they ran longer than some random number someone comes up with, it would just annoy people.

In any case i still don't see how its going to make the game more realistic, you only get out of breath in real life if you over exert yourself. You don't get out of breath or run slower if you are running at your own pace (Rather than flat out) in real life(Well unless your unfit, but explorers are going to get fit if they were not already fit due to all the walking/running/climbing/etc they are doing). The avatars don't in my opinion run at there full speed, its more like jogging. So they should be able to run for a long time.

I totally agree.
------------
On another note, I had a great idea. What if there was a KI setting that auto-sends all of your buddies a "Shorah!" and a "Goodbye!" message when they login/logout?
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Postby J'Kla » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:35 pm

nathan2055 wrote:Automatic Shorah!" and a "Goodbye!" message when they login/logout?

J'Kla thinks that would put "Shorah" into the "Have a nice Day" category i.e. I would soon come to feel insincere. :)
Last edited by J'Kla on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J'Kla

Postby Sirius » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:59 pm

nathan2055 wrote:What if there was a KI setting that auto-sends all of your buddies a "Shorah!" and a "Goodbye!" message when they login/logout?

This should be easy to fix in Python. However I feel a bit as J'Kla about this...

nathan2055 wrote:Another thing I would love to see is new explorable areas of Ae'gura, like the Guild Hall, or the Aquarium.

That's more PRP-side. You should ask Chacal about city extension, and Writers for new Ages(like the Guild Pubs).
Ah, D'ni... really wonderful, isn't it ?

So, about running, jump and health... Of course you should be exhausted after a long running only. That's not on the top of the todo list anyway.
Stucuk wrote:Too much "Realism" kills gameplay.
I agree.
Stucuk wrote:Explorers are going to get fit if they were not already fit due to all the walking/running/climbing/etc they are doing.
:lol:

Another idea: could it be possible to have the cursor sticking the middle of the screen in 1rst person as in other Myst games ? Of course it wouldn't be permanent/obliged to have it, and we could switch between the two mods quickly (for clickables too hight or too low).
Sirius

Postby Stucuk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:02 pm

J'Kla wrote:Count the steps in the great stairs and time yourself running an eqivilent staircase with the same stride. Avatar leg speed may be jogging but scale distance covered is way exagerated.

Gordon Freeman is nearly half as wide(44%) as he is tall in Half-Life 2(So are all the humans in the game. His dimensions are 75x33 units). You can't do direct comparisons between real life and games because the dimensions in the game are not likely to be comparable(Not alot of games use real-life dimensions or real-life Physics values like mass).

J'Kla wrote:So what I am proposing is do the run at speed and the jumps are difficult, do it slowly and they are easier, that way everyone can complete but completing at speed the challenge remains

Simplest solution is to have a button which when pressed makes you run at a slower pace(Toggle). That way you can choose how fast you run. It wouldn't have any negative effects on gameplay, nor would it annoy anyone (Since its optional).
Last edited by Stucuk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Stu
Stucuk

Postby J'Kla » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:10 pm

Withdrawn
Last edited by J'Kla on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J'Kla

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development