Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: What do you want from the developers moving forward?

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:41 am

phoenix wrote:On top of that I need to know who has an editable emote skeleton for TPOTS, since another post mentions that this emote will not work in TPOTS and only in MOULa. The bone structures are somehow not the same. I will be creating 4 versions in total:

I don't know of anyone here who has an editable emote skeleton for POTS. The only one available for making animations is the one from MOULa.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby J'Kla » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 am

Would I be right in thinking the sideways squeeze could just the side step done as an animation with posibly the head turned sideways and then make it a triggered animation that takes it through a gap that would be otherwise protected by a collision wall.

I was also thinking gaps that were gender specific so you could build a puzzle where the Female avatar could pass but the male would not with a door switch at the far end.

That would force a colaboration where you would need a female avatar partner to pass a particular point.

The oposite could be a vertical stretch within the hight range of a male avatar but not the female
J'Kla

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:12 pm

J'Kla wrote:Would I be right in thinking the sideways squeeze could just the side step done as an animation with posibly the head turned sideways and then make it a triggered animation that takes it through a gap that would be otherwise protected by a collision wall.

I think the best bet for a sideways squeeze is to make a unique animation by making a new one. This way you can tweak it the way you would like. Using the sidestep would mean editing the prc of the animation by hand as we don't have access to the emote file for that animation. OR by taking the values from the prps, and converting them back and recreating the animation from scratch in Max. Which at that point you might as well just start new.

I was also thinking gaps that were gender specific so you could build a puzzle where the Female avatar could pass but the male would not with a door switch at the far end.

That would force a colaboration where you would need a female avatar partner to pass a particular point.

The oposite could be a vertical stretch within the hight range of a male avatar but not the female

That would be a neat and fun way to to a puzzle. Yes you could do this, you'd just have to rely on lots of python to make sure that the animation is called only for the male/female. OR you could make a male squeeze animation that makes it clear that h can't squeeze through cause he can't fit. WHich would be called if the avatar is male and not female. But either way, puzzles of this complexity would require python, but would indeed be possible.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby phoenix » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:09 am

J'kla wrote:
Would I be right in thinking the sideways squeeze could just the side step done as an animation with posibly the head turned sideways and then make it a triggered animation that takes it through a gap that would be otherwise protected by a collision wall.

That is do-able, although for the sake of simplicity we gotto take a few things into account. Although the female avi is smaller, her ... um... chest may have been selected by the user to be much larger, so she might be "thicker" (Cant think of another word for it) than the male avi.
Also, the female avi's parts may pass through the two walls that form the "channel".

I do like you idea of the turning head, and would add to that a tippy toe effect, and arms out horizontally to the side to get the feel of the squeeze.
Last edited by phoenix on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
phoenix

Postby phoenix » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:16 am

Ok, Here is where I need some help!

What settings do I need to set to export this from 3dsmax? and...

How do I test this?
phoenix

Re: Avatar Vitals and Crawling

Postby phoenix » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:47 am

Shorah

This thread has been very quiet for the last while waiting for some helpful folk to add a bit of advice.

Seems like noone knows how to do this one since everything has previously been focussed on TPOTS excluding the avatar skeleton of course.

If you have a TPOTS compatible skeleton (emote) please let me know. I urgently need a copy.

My last resort to getting to testing my animation has resulted in changing courses for a brief while. I realised that the only way I am going to get this done and in the time frame I have dedicated to it, is to setup a testing shard.

As such I have been working through this over the last few weeks, and am almost done writing a comprehensive and concise tut on setting up a Sandbox Shard. When it is done I will submit it to GoW wiki for their records, so that other fans who want to build a testing platform can do so with the CWE based version.

Check the post "How to setup a Sandbox Shard" in the near future...

Phoenix Rising
phoenix

Postby sarpedon2 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:41 am

Shorah

Been a while since I've had a look at what's been happening with MOULa and this thread certainly caught my attention. I've been having ideas over the last few days similar to those presented here and also ones which could change what Uru could be.

Using the Avi's hands is definitely a good idea, I just did the Eder Gira puzzle today and it still annoys me even after so many times completing it. Their have been posts on here talking about having torches and gps collected from the ages. Perhaps we can add a optional backpack to the Avi, allowing them to store blank maps which are added to the backpack when we first link to an age. As we explore the age more, more of the map is revealed and each map can be a done in a style that fits the art direction of the age. A torch could be a clip-on torch which would be attached to the strap of the backpack so the Avi can have their hands free and still look where their going in dark areas. Having a torch might require the addition of dynamic lighting to the game which would result in many areas of many ages being re-textured.

Other game-play methods of exploring could be rope climbing, hanging off and walking across ledges or beams and actual physical climbing puzzles with scripted events such as beams and ledges breaking away could be added to add suspense when exploring ages where the risk of falling from a high height is very likely.

On the subject on how Uru could change, I think it could shift towards the more adventure aspect of its game-play rather than its puzzles. If newer environments were to be made, perhaps they could be more interactive and rather than wander through set paths like we have in previous ages, an environment that changes might pose a challenge to us as players. For example in say a cave environment that is geologically active, lava could burst from a lava tue and swamp and previously accessible path. It would up to the player to seek an alternative path round the cave. Perhaps the player could also posses equipment such as climbing equipment to scale across the cave's walls to avoid the lava.

I think its extremely important that one of the game-play aspects that we should change is how interactive our Avi's can be with the environment and whether or not the environment can pose a challenge to us as players.
sarpedon2

Postby phoenix » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:23 am

Hi sarpedon2

I like your perspectives since they add to the feeling that the role of the avatar is one of a true explorer, needing map and compass to navigate, a torch to find things in the dark, and other subtle features. One important thing I would add is an understanding that the advanced animatics for the avatar will have to wait till CWE gets to a proper version number. Currently the coders are at pre-alpha. If we add features too soon without stability and efficiency of code, we end up shooting ourselves in the foot. So its baby steps for now.

When it comes to ages, remember that certain explorer tools would not be needed in other ages. So there would be no conflict really. Think of Eder Giras fireflies that you cant use anywhere else!

I do really like the idea of climbing and things like that, but for now it is one of those subjects that is too intensive to code. I would personally love to see it, kinda like URU with a tomb raider flavour minus the guns!! Mind you Tomb Raider was exactly that, a huge puzzle game, but with guns!! (no guns please!)

Later

Phoenix
phoenix

Postby sarpedon2 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:31 am

Thanks for the feedback Phoenix.

Tomb Raider was definitely a game that came into mind when I first thought of the climbing game-play and rope hanging but recently I have been inspired by Shadow of the Colossus which while it focuses on killing giant bosses it also has a puzzle aspect to it. I even designed briefly an age to showcase new ideas. It would be a canyon style age with buildings built into the walls of this canyon and arriving in this age, the player would have use ledges, vines, tunnel and clues to reach the top of the canyon which is a large misty plateau. Already excavated by the DRC who have yet to access the plateau, you find that it was sealed off. After unlocking the seal that prevents access to the the plateau you find why it was sealed. A large winged creature routinely flies around the top of the plateau and can knock your Avi off its feet when it swoops down. It's nest is a large pinnacle of rock which from a distance, seems to have further ruins. The strategy here would be to attract the attention of the creature and as it swoops down, run and jump in the air, grabbing onto the fur or feathers on its wings, quite like a boss battle in SOTC. You then hold on as flies back to its lair, where you further ruins to explore.

I'll try and post some pictures of my age design later.
sarpedon2

Postby phoenix » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:09 am

So where does your strength lie? Writing, Building, Texturing, Coding?

Would be cool to see your preview pics... word of encouragement though... dont give too much away! hehe... suspense is a good thing in story telling.
phoenix

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development