Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Postby phoenix » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:04 am

Hi All

I have a few more requests for features. It would be really useful if we could implement fire in one of two scenarios. A fireplace on the floor, and a fire-torch that the avatar can pick up and walk with.

The other two items which could be extended quite easily include a walk talkie, a compass and an electric torch(either hand held or head mount).

Has anyone thought of including vitals for the avatar? He/she can die, so why cant we see a small health bar for oxygen, food, exhaustion, energy, etc?

I also really need some pointers on how to get the avatar to crawl on a flat surface, and up and down a slope???

Some amazing avatar animations which would really give uru more depth can be seen in Moon Base Alpha, the free NASA sim via Steam.

I will let you guys chew on this post before I make more suggestions.

Thanks for keeping URU alive!!

Phoenix
phoenix

Re: What do you want from the developers moving forward?

Postby Sirius » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:30 am

phoenix wrote:The other two items which could be extended quite easily include a walk talkie, a compass and an electric torch(either hand held or head mount).
We have the KI light from MOULa. However that's more a PRP hack than a real client problem.

phoenix wrote:Has anyone thought of including vitals for the avatar? He/she can die, so why cant we see a small health bar for oxygen, food, exhaustion, energy, etc?
That would indeed be better if we really had damages when jumping from too hight. I would also like to be able to run for hours in Minkata like my avvi...
Sirius

Postby J'Kla » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:03 pm

I can't even walk up ordinary stairs nevermind run up the great stairs.

But joking aside a crawl or squeeze animation could be useful then puzzles could be built around low or narrow gaps.

The crawl is not that far from the walking pace swimming animation where the avatar does the breast stroke and the squeeze could be worked around the sidestep.
J'Kla

Postby nathan2055 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:11 pm

phoenix wrote:Hi All

I have a few more requests for features. It would be really useful if we could implement fire in one of two scenarios. A fireplace on the floor, and a fire-torch that the avatar can pick up and walk with.

The other two items which could be extended quite easily include a walk talkie, a compass and an electric torch(either hand held or head mount).

Has anyone thought of including vitals for the avatar? He/she can die, so why cant we see a small health bar for oxygen, food, exhaustion, energy, etc?

I also really need some pointers on how to get the avatar to crawl on a flat surface, and up and down a slope???

Some amazing avatar animations which would really give uru more depth can be seen in Moon Base Alpha, the free NASA sim via Steam.

I will let you guys chew on this post before I make more suggestions.

Thanks for keeping URU alive!!

Phoenix

Interesting. I would like there to be light items outside of the KI lantern.
I don't think the health bars would make much since, many people (like me) are drawn to URU be the fact that there is no death or killing or any of that stuff.
Crawling and squeezing would be very interesting though.
Currently an official representative of the Guild of Writers.
Nathan2055 (01307567) on MO:ULagain - NAL2055 (00071382) on The Deep Island Shard
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Postby J'Kla » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:46 pm

I know I was drawn to Uru from it's phiosophy of having no death as in FPS games where you die and go back to the start even if panic relto does have some degree of that.

But a general health bar that would improove your ability to make a jump like the final one in Ghreseen so that on minimal levels it's still possible but if your prepared to wait almost like catching your breath it becomes easier. So that the health bar is more related to tiredness.
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Re-post as this is a different idea.

A game area using the football that's in Minkata but with some sort of score keeping ability possibly with a raised spectator area.

Building an age to do this is not an issue its the score keeping and the team seperation.

I was considering two strips in the closet, link in wearing the strip and you link to the playing area ordinary dress and you link to the spectator area.

Rather than a conventional goal I was thinking like a spot or spots on the wall or even various choices set by the first person to link in and a set clock so you could play individually by tring to set a scoring rate.
J'Kla

Postby Sirius » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:53 am

J'Kla wrote:Building an age to do this is not an issue its the score keeping and the team seperation.
Python and SDLs should be able to handle that. However, the avatar is far from behaving as a real football player, and that needs more than Python.

J'Kla wrote:I know I was drawn to Uru from it's phiosophy of having no death as in FPS games where you die and go back to the start even if panic relto does have some degree of that.
That's true. The main problem is that some Ages allows you to jump from impossible heights. That's of course a way to avoid putting invisible colliders everywhere. However, having more anims when touching the ground (as when you fall in the cleft) would be welcome. Or as the unused avatar rolling from Gahreesen.

J'Kla wrote:But a general health bar that would improove your ability to make a jump like the final one in Ghreseen so that on minimal levels it's still possible but if your prepared to wait almost like catching your breath it becomes easier. So that the health bar is more related to tiredness.
This would make more sens to my mind. It could also affect climbing steep places and running for hours. Maybe we don't really need a GUI for the health bar. Myst is often supposed to be realist and I rarely see a blue bar in the corner of my eye when I'm tired ;) . Just have the avatar taking a couple of deep breath with his hands on his knees.
Sirius

Postby Stucuk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:35 am

Wouldn't explorers be fit? As in they would be use to climbing, running and jumping so they wouldn't get out of breath easily like us lazy people sitting behind computers. So i don't see how making the character go "Im out of breath" is realistic. Most of the "Im out of breath" systems for games are far from realistic, your character does hardly any running/whatever and they are out of breath.
-Stu
Stucuk

Postby J'Kla » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:11 am

Sirius wrote: Just have the avatar taking a couple of deep breath with his hands on his knees.

A COUPLE! just not realistic :D

If I were to run up a flight of stairs eqivilent to the Great Stairs I would need an ambulance waiting at the top if not an ambulance then a hurse.

I know the footballer would not be truly realistic I am just after making a fun game. The ball is hardly a realistic size. :)
J'Kla

Postby Sirius » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:33 am

Stucuk wrote:Wouldn't explorers be fit? As in they would be use to climbing, running and jumping so they wouldn't get out of breath easily like us lazy people sitting behind computers. So i don't see how making the character go "Im out of breath" is realistic. Most of the "Im out of breath" systems for games are far from realistic, your character does hardly any running/whatever and they are out of breath.

Yes, that's why I don't think we need any "health bar" in a side of the screen. But as said J'Kla, for such things as climbing the Great Stairs or running in Minkata for hours, the avatar should run (only a bit) slower and make short jumps for a few time. Just to avoid running for hours at the same speed.
When finally the player stops running, the avatar takes back his breath if he is standing and doing nothing, else if he is walking he simply walks as usual and that gives him back energy. But the player could still run, even if slower.
It might be a problem to solve Minkata, however.

Well, ok, we might have a greater need of fixes for network-related bugs, or to improve the loading of Ages and all that.
Sirius

Next

Return to Plasma Development