Sandbox Shard Howto

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Sandbox Shard Howto

Postby phoenix » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 am

I have a handle on git thanks, despite the convoluted command line...

Any feedback on the questions? Thats where I really need help?
phoenix

Postby kaelisebonrai » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:03 am

The gow_server repos are for the (delayed) GoW Shard. Not for dirtsand, not for anything but a single shard. The GoW Shard. Ignore them. =P
kaelisebonrai

Postby phoenix » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:06 am

Ah, cool!

I see moul-scripts has master and python27. Is master coded for python 2.3?
phoenix

Postby Deledrius » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:08 am

Git can be intimidating at first! I'm still learning it myself, although a familiarity with version control and especially distributed version control really helps. If you're struggling with git, I'd suggest reading through GitHub's How-tos for whatever task you're trying to accomplish, or even better check out Pro Git for a complete explanation of it. Hope that helps!

Christian Walther wrote:Or, if you don’t plan to follow development or do any development of your own, you don’t even have to use Git – you can just download the latest version from GitHub: Use the Downloads button on the page https://github.com/H-uru/moul-scripts/tree/python27 (direct link: https://github.com/H-uru/moul-scripts/zipball/python27).

Which, as I was going to point out, would be a much better way to direct the readers of your tutorial to download a particular tree, rather than host zips yourself as you've done.

Edit:
The versions you have provided can easily be replaced by
Although it should be noted that, due to the heavy development, using old checkouts is not advisable at this time since any bugs or issues you find may have been fixed in the tree since those commits were made. Once the codebase is stable and/or there is enough to warrant tagging and releasing (not to mention license issues being resolved), this will not be nearly as important. Instead, I'd personally recommend always doing a fetch and pull before rebuilding.
Last edited by Deledrius on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby phoenix » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:10 am

I am aiming to base it on the GoW approved version, which means I need to get some info from you guys as to what the forks mean.

Since GoW is going with python 2.7 support, that would be the easiest to write about.
phoenix

Postby Deledrius » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:18 pm

phoenix wrote:I am aiming to base it on the GoW approved version, which means I need to get some info from you guys as to what the forks mean.

Since GoW is going with python 2.7 support, that would be the easiest to write about.

I'll assume you meant the branches and not forks, as that's up to the individuals to whom the various forks belong. The only branches you need to be concerned with are Plasma/master, dirtsand/master, and moul-scripts/python27. All others are being used for new developments, a specific shard, or are reference for pushing work back to Cyan (should the opportunity arise).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:35 am

Please use minor edits when fixing minor things in articles, such as typos. Cluttering up the recent history on the wiki is unacceptable.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby phoenix » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:50 am

Deledrius: The only branches you need to be concerned with are Plasma/master, dirtsand/master, and moul-scripts/python27.

Ah! Now that is very valuable to know... it clarifies everything and makes the github learning curve worth it... thanks a million!

Feel the source, Deledrius Skywalker....

Tsar Hoikas: Please use minor edits when fixing minor things in articles, such as typos. Cluttering up the recent history on the wiki is unacceptable.

Will do thanks for the pointers. Getting the gist of things.

Phoenix
phoenix

Postby phoenix » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:46 am

Well I finally got moulscripts with the python27 branch onto my harddrive, and the one thing I find is that it wont pack.

I run the following command in the python27 folder which holds the 3 folders; dat, SDL and Python.

Code: Select all
prompt:> cd moul-scripts
prompt:> cd python27
prompt:> plPythonPack Python

also tried

prompt:> plPythonPack .\Python

I get major errors in the output! Log attached. The paths are not being built right, search for "\/"

The errors look like a linux app fighting a win app for command line supremacy. Will the backslash or the forward slash win the day? Anyone know how to fix this?
Attachments
error.zip
(5.88 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
phoenix

Postby Deledrius » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:39 am

I just tested plPythonPack and it appears to successfully create python.pak. I used the command:
$ plPythonPack Python

The python.pak output was nestled amongst all the other python files in the Python directory.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development