Sandbox Shard - Operational

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Sandbox Shard - Operational

Postby phoenix » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:56 am

Shorah Everyone

Do I have great news for the fans out there! Tonight I managed to get the first Sandbox Shard working, and with almost no errors. I have tons of screenshots attached, and I know I might be shouted at for posting them, but you guys need proof. I promise I wont post so many screenshots again, but this is a special occasion! : ))))

Some nuts and bolts stuff:

I used the defacto MOULInsataller877.exe without updates from Cyan, so there are a few differences I will mention.

You can't set the fullscreen mode at the start of the game. There are no options.
There is no sound if you dont put "wrap_oal.dll" in root of the Sandbox Client.
First, when you get the engine running, you dont land in the Cleft age, you land in Relto.
You will notice there is only one bahro pole, and that links to the Cleft (ok?... I here you say)
When you link to Cleft you get 6 errors... just click ignore... Cleft loads just fine!
There is one book on your shelf... it links to Bevin... and it works.
In Bevin you can link to Gahreeson and Eder Delin... just remember to pick up your KI by passing through Gahreeson.
Linking back from Gahreeson to Relto kicks out 4 errors... just click ignore... and you are back at Relto.
Oh yeah... and you can wear what you like!!

The purpose of the Sandbox Shard is to give age builders a testing platform while the main engine is being streamlined by the excellent GoW Dev Team. At least now, knowing that the Sandbox works, builders will be able to test ages, animations, and content while we look forward to the engine coming out of a major overhaul.

I have some personal and warm thanks to the following people who helped in the creation of the Sandbox Shard wiki on GoW which still needs a few tweaks but is almost done based on the events of today.

http://www.guildofwriters.com/wiki/Deve ... dbox_Shard

Zrax - Tsar - Deledrius - Paradox - GPN Milano - Lontahv - Christian - kaelisebonrai - diafero - Chacal - D'Lanor

Thanks for your effort, your help, your enthusiasm and your passion.

You guys and gals ROCK!

Now for the proof!

Phoenix
Attachments
Login.jpg
login
Login.jpg (107.98 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
Sandbox Cleft Bahro Pole.jpg
relto bahro pole
Sandbox Cleft Bahro Pole.jpg (104.8 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
Sandbox First Screenshot.jpg
relto
Sandbox First Screenshot.jpg (87.42 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
phoenix

Re: Sandbox Shard - Operational

Postby phoenix » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:02 pm

and more
Attachments
Sandbox Cleft.jpg
cleft
Sandbox Cleft.jpg (86.95 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
Sandbox Bevin.jpg
bevin
Sandbox Bevin.jpg (79.25 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
Sandbox Eder Delin.jpg
eder delin
Sandbox Eder Delin.jpg (92.14 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
phoenix

Postby phoenix » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:03 pm

and lastly.. this is full screen mode
Attachments
Sandbox the KI.jpg
KI
Sandbox the KI.jpg (112.04 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
phoenix

Postby Deledrius » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:09 pm

Congrats!
phoenix wrote:I used the defacto MOULInsataller877.exe without updates from Cyan, so there are a few differences I will mention.

You can't set the fullscreen mode at the start of the game. There are no options.
There is no sound if you dont put "wrap_oal.dll" in root of the Sandbox Client.
First, when you get the engine running, you dont land in the Cleft age, you land in Relto.
You will notice there is only one bahro pole, and that links to the Cleft (ok?... I here you say)
There is one book on your shelf... it links to Bevin... and it works.
In Bevin you can link to Gahreeson and Eder Delin... just remember to pick up your KI by passing through Gahreeson.
Oh yeah... and you can wear what you like!!

How are these differences? I'm not sure what you mean. This is how MOULa works.

Why did you choose not to update your files using the patcher? We do not currently have permission to patch the content data files, so you're missing out on possible bugfixes from Cyan by not using them.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:18 am

That's good news, I'm going to try and get the same running on my machine today and/or tomorrow :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby phoenix » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:07 am

Deledrius: How are these differences? I'm not sure what you mean

I am basing my remarks on how Cyans current Shard loads up. You get player selection, graphics settings, sound settings, etc on Cyans current MOUL shard.

When you start Sandbox you cant set any settings before the game loads. The settings can only be changed once your avatar has landed in the game. If this was how the original MOULa was then... cool... I got it right! : )

Deledrius: Why did you choose not to update your files using the patcher? We do not currently have permission to patch the content data files, so you're missing out on possible bugfixes from Cyan by not using them.

I did not want to update anything because I wanted to first see if the stock installer would work.... and it did! I already had "Sandbox 2" in mind that uses updated data, but as you mention we dont have permission from Cyan to use that, so I did the right thing anyway. If we cant use updated content from Cyan, then I will leave Sandbox 2 on the shelf and start working on my 3rd planned wiki instead. See summary at end of this message.

There are some things that I believe are important as we head forward from here. Cyan gave us the code, but not the content... I got no problem respecting that. What we do have is a working test shard that a reasonably advanced techhead can put together, and with a few creative friends, start building worlds. I do believe that we gotto stick together as this unfolds because if we keep compatibility we may yet get to implement the coveted feature of seamless shard hopping. I have already given some thought to this, and will post a seperate thread at a later date.

Here is an outline of a Builders Roadmap that I will be putting my energies into;

# Sandbox Shard - done 31 July 2011 - Using stock MOULInstaller - Wiki will be complete in a week or so.
# Sandbox Shard 2 - suspended indefinitely until such time as Cyan gives permission to update the content
# Home Age - A CLEAN SLATE version of Sandbox Shard with NO MOUL CONTENT - Will detail how to build a custom startup age "landing age/home age" - This is next on the agenda
# Shard Hopping (Alpha) - An interim methodology to test if Shard hopping can be implemented and if it is feasible - Will release as a wiki in the near future

Remember that the last thing we want to do is to break compatibility with GoW, because if we do that, we lose out on the potential that CWE/dirtsand can be. We also lose out on the power we have by sticking together, rather than by fracturing into opposing groups. The more we divide the slower our progress will be...

The GoW Dev Team has put together an amazing work so far by bringing CWE up to date with modern computing standards, and I for one will keep supporting them, and.... testing their work...!

Imagine that one day you will be able to seamlessly link from your private shard to your friends shard or GoW's shard... Your friends could come and chat on your shard, or go to another shard to explore... no lag, no rubber banding, no audio stutter, no screen freezes... This is what it can be!!!
phoenix

Postby phoenix » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:29 am

Currently I am testing the Sandbox for any errors, and they are quite persistent;

Here is what is happening, see zip file for error screenshots.

This seems to happen only when starting an age or linking to another age, including using the wardrobe or leaving the wardrobe.

FIRST RUN:

First start up - fine
Link from Relto to Cleft - 6 errors
Link from Gahreeson to Relto - 4 errors

SECOND RUN:

Startup - 6 errors
Closet - 4 errors going in - 4 leaving the closet

Will post more as I find them.

Phoenix
Attachments
errors.zip
errors
(491.91 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
phoenix

Postby Deledrius » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:57 am

phoenix wrote:
Deledrius: Why did you choose not to update your files using the patcher? We do not currently have permission to patch the content data files, so you're missing out on possible bugfixes from Cyan by not using them.

I did not want to update anything because I wanted to first see if the stock installer would work.... and it did! I already had "Sandbox 2" in mind that uses updated data, but as you mention we dont have permission from Cyan to use that, so I did the right thing anyway. If we cant use updated content from Cyan, then I will leave Sandbox 2 on the shelf and start working on my 3rd planned wiki instead. See summary at end of this message.

You seem to have misunderstood. Cyan's patched content are the only content improvements we can use at the moment.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby phoenix » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:50 am

My focus was not to use Cyan content in the long run anyway. I dont see the point of all these Cyan clones that have exactly the same content, and as you will see, I have something a little more bold in mind with the Home Age shard which is 100% original content.
phoenix

Postby Paradox » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:16 pm

phoenix wrote:[...] there are a few differences I will mention.

This is exactly how it behaves in MOULa. You can only change options once you've gone past avatar creation (which is a really poor design IMO).

phoenix wrote:There is no sound if you dont put "wrap_oal.dll" in root of the Sandbox Client.

This file is required for OpenAL to work, and is shipped with MOULa.

phoenix wrote:First, when you get the engine running, you dont land in the Cleft age, you land in Relto.

MOUL starts in Relto, and has since 2006. I'm not sure how this is considered a difference... this is exactly how MOUL is set up.

phoenix wrote:When you link to Cleft you get 6 errors... just click ignore... Cleft loads just fine!

After a Net6 error, you are no longer connected to the server. That means that even if the Age loads, it is unlikely that any interactive elements will work properly.

phoenix wrote:There is one book on your shelf... it links to Bevin... and it works.

This is part of MOUL's "Alone or Together" concept, and not a difference.

phoenix wrote:In Bevin you can link to Gahreeson and Eder Delin...

I'm not sure if DirtSand will randomly assign Tsogal or Delin, or if it defaults to Delin.
Paradox

Next

Return to Plasma Development