Unencrypted connections

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Unencrypted connections

Postby diafero » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:13 am

Nice :)
Btw, there's a (disabled) pnNetLog in NucleusLib. Is this related to what you are doing in any way?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Zrax » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:55 pm

diafero wrote:Btw, there's a (disabled) pnNetLog in NucleusLib. Is this related to what you are doing in any way?

Oh, um, erm... I never actually noticed that... >.>

So no, it has nothing to do with that, unless that does the same thing I'm doing, in which case I'd feel pretty silly right about now :P.

EDIT: Ok, I feel a bit better now... It looks like that's the implementation of the Srv2Log network channel (which isn't used in the client, but rather is (guesswork) used for servers to send logs of various events/status/etc to a central logging location). So it's completely unrelated to my tool, except that if we ever had server sources, it could probably be used to debug that as well :P
Zrax

Postby diafero » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:20 am

Great :)

If I run the plClient in wine, can I connect to that pipe with a native Linux application? ;-)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Wamduskasapa » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:34 am

People talking about JAVA and WINE I just can't decide which I like,
besides that, now you have made me thirsty

Image Image
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby diafero » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:06 pm

You really do have smileys for everything ;-)

Regarding the unencrypted connection: Originally I planned to add a flag to the connection properties to make it unencrypted, but after 20 minutes of random hopping though the code I came to the conclusion that's not worth it. This is just crazy...
So I came up with another idea: With Zrax mostly taking care of the debug part (though DirtSand could benefit from a similar debug pipe, to be able to see both side's "view" of things... ;-) ), that leaves the configuration as the only annoyance. I think I will make sure that with no keys set, both sides use a key consisting only of 0. Which is still di9fferent from no encryption (is it?), but it means I can get rid of one more step in the setup.

EDIT: Okay, doesn't look like the encryption works that way, lol ;-)
So maybe I should take a... less clean approach. Or just drop the idea altogether.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Zrax » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:10 pm

DirtSand does actually have a "commdebug" feature (type "commdebug on" in the DS console), however, that only gives the actual bytes being sent and received with no further interpretation. It's not the prettiest thing, but it could probably help in debugging server-side issues (for which I have used it before -- hence its existence). However, for the most part, I think the client-side network debugging is probably enough, simply because it will still log the same data as the server (assuming no catastrophic low-level communication issues, which I think have all been worked out now). The only catch is that you will only get the messages from one client, but then you could connect multiple clients running plNetLog at the same time and look at their logs separately too ;). The tool currently dumps everything it reads into a log file, and eventually I want plNetLog to be able to re-analyze those files too, so you can look at data that you have already captured without having to reproduce the sequence of events that created it.

Meh, thick block of text... :(

diafero wrote:If I run the plClient in wine, can I connect to that pipe with a native Linux application?

Not currently... Windows (named) pipes and Unix pipes are completely different creatures, and neither format crosses the platform boundary. You might, however, be able to run a Windows plNetLog.exe in wine against your wine plClient.exe ;)
Zrax

Postby diafero » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:09 am

Meh, even more stuff run in wine... but still better than nothing ;-)

I also think I got unencrypted connections mostly running. I will send pull requests fort DirtSand and CWE this evening.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Previous

Return to Plasma Development