Licence violations and incompatibilities

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Licence violations and incompatibilities

Postby Charura » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:34 pm

Seriously
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby JWPlatt » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:56 pm

We actually have a very good grasp on the libraries, as documented in our wiki and elsewhere, including your previous posts, which were helpful. I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible for everyone's benefit. We'd like to continue including you and the GoW in our processes. If you'd rather not be included or consulted, please let us know. I sincerely apologize if this was an intrusion.
OpenUru.org: An Uru project resource site.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Postby Branan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:07 pm

JWPlatt: since I'm no longer an official representative of the GoW, I'm going to be a bit blunt. Please bear with me.

The fact that CWE was released with a vanilla GPL shows that either nobody involved in the process, both at Cyan and at OpenURU, either understood the license, or nobody cared to make sure the license would work. Either way, that's a bad way to get things rolling, and it left a bad taste in some peoples' mouths.

And now, months later, you're finally making the time to get an email sent to Cyan about this - an email that we already sent way back when these issues first came to light, and that was ignored (apparently in favor of waiting for you to get your act together).

I think it's pretty obvious that you're going to be the open-source liaison to Cyan (since they apparently need you to send them the exact same damn email we already sent). That means you need to have knowledge of the code, knowledge of the licenses, and the time to expand that knowledge and interact with both Cyan and the rest of the community. If you're lacking in any of the above, you're going to be slowing the process down and irritating people along the way.

Paradox has been working on Uru code for a long time - since the COBBS days. He's one of the folks that helped prove that there's both an interest in fan code/content, and a group of people willing to do the work and support it. As far as I'm concerned, he's your senior. You're just a lucky upstart who happened to be working with Cyan around the time they decided to do open-source.

We're not going to just respect you because you've been blessed by the holy blue. If you want our respect, you need to earn it. So far, you've done a pretty terrible job of that.

EDIT: I should add... we will certainly answer your questions when you ask them. But if you continue to give the impression that you can't prioritize Uru and that you don't understand what's going on, don't expect people to be nice about it.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Previous

Return to Plasma Development