Minimalistic Development Shard

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Minimalistic Development Shard

Postby tachzusamm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:22 am

Are there any, umm, "specs" for a dirtsand server? CPU-Speed, amount of RAM?

I'm thinking about reviving an old computer for this purpose, instead of messing around with VMs.
Or does it have an advantage of running dirtsand in a VM, e.g. faster re-upload of ages in progress for testing?

Also, is there a recommended Linux distribution, like SuSe, Debian/Ubuntu (e.g. Ubuntu Server), Mandriva... ? Or does it simply not matter at all?

Oh, I forgot: Thanks for WIKI entry - this finally explained (for me) the basic relationship between CWE and dirtsand.
tachzusamm

Postby Chacal » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:34 am

Isn't there a console command for opening the console?
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby diafero » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:31 am

@Tach: My poor laptop has 4 GiB of RAM and an AMD dual-core CPU with 2.1 GHz. It is running DirtSand, CWE, and a Windows 7 VM to compile it all seamlessly alongside everything else (Browser, E-Mail, IRC, Music, IM, ...). So, I'd say anything that is capable of running Linux and still has some MiB of RAM free should work ;-) .
I am using Debian, and from the docs I assume it is developed on Ubuntu, but it should work on other distributions at well.
The advantage of a VM is not having to mess around with another PC :D . Also, with a Shared Folder setup, you can have the files that the server needs (age and SDL) all on the same machine. But then, you can mount an SMB share on the remote machine to achieve the same.
Ages you work on do not have to uploaded to the server, it's a Shard without datasverer (and therefor usable for testing only). The server needs just the .age and .sdl files.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Deledrius » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 am

diafero wrote:I added a file called "keys.ini" to the "Application Data\Uru Live\Init" folder, with a single line
Code: Select all
Keyboard.BindKey F12 Console

But that does not look like it works. I also could not find the file where Uru stores the key bindings I changed in-game (I added WASD), so I assume they are somehow stored in the server. And the keymap is reset on login. And of course the configuration dialogue does not show the Console key selection.

All keybindings are stored in the vault. Makes it a bit of a pain to edit them, but on the upside it means your keybindings are persistent no matter what installation you log in from.

You could try changing the default binding in the code, which uses an apparently non-international-keyboard binding in FeatureLib/pfConsole/pfConsole.cpp
153:  fControlMap->BindKey( KEY_TILDE, B_SET_CONSOLE_MODE );

The default keymappings are in NucleusLib/pnInputCore/plKeyDef.h

Looks like a lot of this is going to need fixing for proper non-USA use as well.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:15 pm

I'd prefer not to add a patch locally that I'm not even willing to merge, this should be properly configurable somehow...
Maybe I can add a Python hack for it, I'm quite used to that already ;-)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Deledrius » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:04 pm

diafero wrote:I'd prefer not to add a patch locally that I'm not even willing to merge, this should be properly configurable somehow...
Maybe I can add a Python hack for it, I'm quite used to that already ;-)

Check out pyKeyMap.h. Looks like you could probably shove something into your xKI.py (everything else gets shoved in there :roll: ) that hacks around it to a different binding for now, until something better comes along.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm

That's why I planned :P . I added
PtConsole('Keyboard.BindKey F12 Console')

to xKI.OnServerInitComplete. Now it's working. Yay :)

EDIT: :lol: CreateDocumentation prints a *shorter* document that CreateBriefDocumentation... ;-)

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby diafero » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:27 am

Paradox just merged my "config-simplification" branch into CWE master, so setting up a minimalistic Shard is even easier now.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Previous

Return to Plasma Development