Drizzle 30

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Drizzle 30

Postby Rabbit » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:25 pm

I have drizzle 30.jar - but it doesn't work. I get a splash screen for a fraction of a second and that's it. I have java installed and I'm running WinXp.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Incidentally, I have just run the latest update on Java....no change. I also have MOUla and UruCC installed (if that makes a difference)
Rabbit

Re: Drizzle 30

Postby Rabbit » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:28 am

I have just downloaded Drizzle 29.jar. Just to see if there was some bug with the new version.

Apparently, that doesn't work either.

Help!!
Rabbit

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:41 am

As Dustin no longer seems to visit (or at least post) to these forums anymore... there's no real support for drizzle here. Sorry =/
kaelisebonrai

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:42 pm

Have you visited http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/index.html and downloaded the latest version of Java??
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Rabbit » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Wamduskasapa wrote:Have you visited http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/index.html and downloaded the latest version of Java??

Yes.
Rabbit

Postby Calena » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:22 pm

Dustin's email address is on his website that you downloaded Drizzle from. Look for 'contact us' towards the bottom of the main page and follow the link.
Galatians 2: 20-21

"Don't mess with me today. I have my CAPS LOCK key and I know how to use it!"
Calena

Postby Rabbit » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:10 am

I have emailed Dustin, but he's on vacation for a while.

However, I have made a little progress.

I managed to aquire an old laptop with a nearly-clean install of Windows XPsp2. I decided to download and install the same version of Java which was available at time of Dizzle30 release. (V6 update 26). Load Drizzle30 and it works!! (although I have yet to do anything with it). The conclusion here is the latest Java breaks Drizzle.

Back to my old machine, uninstall latest Java and apply the same old release and it still doesn't work!! Something is borking my Java which stops Drizzle from working. Although it's a workaround, I would still like to get Drizzle working properly.
Rabbit

Postby tachzusamm » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:34 am

The splash screen may come from a packer which wants to "unpack" the .jar file because it thinks it's packed. That's a know problem and happens often.
What does a right-click tell when you choose "Open with"? It should default to "Java (TM) Platform" and NOT any packer.
Either remove the file association ".jar" in your Windows system, and set it to Java - or, try to start Drizzle.exe instead of Drizzle.jar.
tachzusamm

Postby Rabbit » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:36 pm

tachzusamm wrote:The splash screen may come from a packer which wants to "unpack" the .jar file because it thinks it's packed. That's a know problem and happens often.
What does a right-click tell when you choose "Open with"? It should default to "Java (TM) Platform" and NOT any packer.
Either remove the file association ".jar" in your Windows system, and set it to Java - or, try to start Drizzle.exe instead of Drizzle.jar.

Sorry, the 'Open' with points to Java as it should and the .exe doesn't work either.

Thanks anyway.
Rabbit

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:11 am

So just to make sure, does the splash screen display a green on black ": Drizzle" ?

Edit: A few more questions now because we hardly have any info to work with.

- Do you have 64-bit Windows? In that case make sure not only 64-bit java is installed but also the 32-bit version.

- Open Java in your control panel and check the runtime settings. Does it look like this in both the user and system tab?
java-runtime.png
java-runtime.png (25.61 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Next

Return to Plasma Development