PlasmaShop crash

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

PlasmaShop crash

Postby Sirius » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:29 am

I just got an error from PlasmaShop 2.2.6 today (I'm still using it because version 3.0 can't read PAK files).
I don't get this error on version 3.0, and restarting the computer didn't fix it.

So, when I click on it a window pops up:
"Access violation at adress 004AB31F in module 'PlasmaShop 226.exe'. Read of adress 00000000."
Any idea ?

That's quite bad, because there still are some file readable only by version 2.2.6.
Well, I guess for now I should better download UruPython again...
Sirius

Re: PlasmaShop crash

Postby Zrax » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:55 pm

I'm not sure I understand... What is it you're clicking on that causes the crash? Are you saying that just starting PlasmaShop causes this to happen?

Some things you might try are: unzip PlasmaShop to a new folder and see if the problem goes away (in case one of the files got corrupt), or deleting your PlasmaShop registry settings (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PlasmaShop) -- WARNING: This will cause you to lose all of your PlasmaShop 2.x AND 3.x settings, including configured game paths.
Zrax

Postby Sirius » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:42 am

As soon as I click on PlasmaShop, the error window pops-up, then PlasmaShop opens but the game list is empty. Most functions are working (as create new file). I just found that if I add a game to the list, PlasmaShop works correctly, but it lasts only for this time: if I try to open it once more, I run in the same problem.
Using a different folder doesn't help. It seems it is indeed in the settings file.

Zrax wrote:WARNING: This will cause you to lose all of your PlasmaShop 2.x AND 3.x settings, including configured game paths.
That's no big deal. However PlasmaShop 3 can load the settings fine, while PlasmaShop 2 can't.

I don't have any folder named Software\PlasmaShop (I guess HKEY_CURRENT_USER means the user name ?).
However I now remember I deleted a LOT of files in Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp, because I had something like 200 autosaves of Blender + some other unknown files, roughly the size of 2GB... I thought I deleted only Blender related files, but I might be wrong.
Does PlasmaShop uses this folder for temporary files ? I don't remember if it was working after I deleted it.

Thanks for the help !
Sirius

Postby Chacal » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:22 am

Sirius wrote:
Zrax wrote:WARNING: This will cause you to lose all of your PlasmaShop 2.x AND 3.x settings, including configured game paths.
That's no big deal. However PlasmaShop 3 can load the settings fine, while PlasmaShop 2 can't.

I don't have any folder named Software\PlasmaShop (I guess HKEY_CURRENT_USER means the user name ?).

No no that's a registry key, not a file system folder.
You can edit the registry with regedit.exe.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Sirius » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:57 am

8-) Ok great, it worked.

Thanks to both of you. I obviously have to remember this program.
Sirius

Postby Zrax » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Just be careful with it... You can really hose your system if you delete/modify the wrong thing >.>

Also, I've just updated PlasmaShop with support for .pak files (and a few other things). Still no decompyle yet (or font editor), but then this is the first real update I've done in a while ;)
Zrax

Return to Plasma Development