CWE testing builds released

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: CWE testing builds released

Postby andylegate » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:04 am

@Branan: Yah, I think that's the problem because the dependency program has a big, fat "64" next to the openAL32 file, but not the rest. I bet your build would work fine on my wife's computer (she's running 32 bit Win 7), but I've been too lazy to copy it over to hers to try it.....er.....yah that's the reason. Not because she's busy playing Dragons Of Atlantis on Facebook and has threatened me with Hot Death if I touch her computer.......... heh :lol:

Let me ask, so as to not waste time (as I'm sure any bugs help you however): This build will allow us to run "off line" to test things made with Max without Drizzle conversion, yes? Or did I misunderstand completely? While I'm not really doing anything in Plasma anymore (busy working with UDK on a different project, and also having lots of fun with Valve's "Source SDK" using the Hammer editor to make maps for TF2, as it's JUST like COD's old GTK Radient program), I was asked by the Cub Scout and Boy Scouts of America group here to look into making something for them, and they kinda went gah-gah over the idea of using Uru to have Scout Ages where the boys can use it as an addition to their Hand Books to earn some of their badges (the more cerebral ones, kinda hard to teach knot tying in Uru, heheh), but they want it off line and stand alone, and since a lot of parents have older computers at home, Plasma would be ideal for them, and a OS MOUL Plasma would be ideal for me as I'd REALLY love to be able to use the Grass Shader Mod and of course make the uniforms for the avatars.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Branan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:31 am

Cyan stripped all of the offline code from Uru sometime before or during MOUL development, so unfortunately there's no way to run this plClient offline. You can run it on Cyan's server with modified data, though... but I can't condone that unless you're in the fun house.

I'd actually encourage anybody who plans on doing CWE-era age development to head to the fun house and fool around with some of the tools that plClient gives you. The next release will include a launcher script to make this easy. Documentation on them all still needs to be written (probably not by me, I suck at writing docs), but if you just go and start hitting keys you'll probably pull up some tool or other. 'l' is a useful one - it shows all the Plasma subsystem logs, which are much more detailed in an internal build than in the builds you're all used to using.

I've confirmed that there is a regression in 902a. The executable from 902 should work fine as long as you get rid of the bad OpenAL32.dll file. I'll have that regression fixed in 902b.

Along with a once-again-working plClient, 902b will include:
  • Max plugins for 2010, 2011, and 2012
  • Moving the 'Export' entry from 'file' to 'plasma'
  • A launcher script to connect plClient to Cyan's server
  • A Python.pak for shard operators who want to use these UruExplorer builds
  • A separate bundle of the Python and SDL files, for those who want to use the internal plClient
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby andylegate » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:04 am

Branan wrote:Cyan stripped all of the offline code from Uru sometime before or during MOUL development, so unfortunately there's no way to run this plClient offline.

Ach, that's too bad lad. I've been pushing for a "off line" version of MOUL for a long time now. Since Cyan came out with their plugin, but most that I've talked to either have no time, or little interest in it. Considering that most people who are interested in MOUL (at least many of those that have stuck around), are there mostly for the social aspects of the game, and less for the experience of the content itself (unless it's with friends, but that again is a social aspect).

So all the "off line code" is stripped out.......hrmmmm. Still seems to me that one should be able to trick it into thinking that it is logging on, but all it's doing is talking to a shell on your local hardrive (IE the client and server are one on the client's computer).

This is so ironic though. I remember talking to Mark months and months ago, asking why they didn't use Plasma 2.5 from Myst V for MOUL since it has even more features (Earthquake python mod, Bubble mod), and some better rendering qualities, and he said:

Mark wrote:ah, well, we couldn't use it because we stripped out all the networking code, and it would have been even more work to put it back in....

Hrrrrmmmmm. So I'm in a corner then. The BSA wants it stand alone/off line to protect the minors that will use it. They did mention paying for a license if needed however. I wonder what Tony and Mark would say about the 2.5 engine.......

Anyways, thanks for the help in trying to make this work. Glad to see you all are making progress.
andylegate

Postby Branan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:49 pm

heh, even without the network code I wouldn't mind seeing Plasma 2.5 GPL'd... there are at least a couple of features I'd love to try to backport...

In other news, an update has been released, that should solve all your woes! See the first post for all the juicy details.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Lehm » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:15 am

Just tried the new version. Everything seems to be working fine now. Was able to log in and everything seemed to work fine. Oh and had forgotten to ask, I haven't been keeping up. What server is it set to log into? Cyan's or one of the community servers?

Did notice one thing. The fov for widescreen resolutions seemed way too wide. It looks as thought the horizontal fov is being calculated incorrectly.

I'll check to see if the plugin works for 2010 next.
Lehm

Postby Branan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:21 am

Lehm wrote:What server is it set to log into? Cyan's or one of the community servers?

It connects to Cyan's server, so be careful playing around with plClient in public areas.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby andylegate » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:40 am

I'd like to confirm that the latest build with the new openAL32.dll file does indeed work now, so if you were having that problem too, check and make sure that you've downloaded the latest build in Branan's first post.

If you are using the build to test Ages that you've made (hopefully on a server other than Cyan's), there are many console commands that you can use to test things out.

I HIGHLY recommend using the "L" key (this is outside of the console), as it will pop up a window that shows you many, many different debugging logs. You can actually see your responders working in real time (quite helpful to spot something you may have set up wrong), where your footstep sounds begin and end, what python is being exicuited at the time, what sounds are streaming and many, many other things.

If I remember right, "Shift-C" will make the 3rd person camera stationary so that you can move your avatar about, have it turn and face the camera. This is excellent for checking out any new clothing items you've made and are trying out on your avatar.

Console Command (that should not bother things):

Graphics.Show.Physicals - This will toggle the visibility of your colliders in your Age so that you can see them, very helpful if your falling through areas or getting stuck.

There are others, but I'm hesitant to post them (like how to link to your Age, a type of Flymode, etc), as I'm not sure what would cause a problem or not, so I'll leave that in the Dev's hand to reveal those things to you.

Good luck and have fun.
andylegate

Postby Branan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:11 am

andylegate wrote:Graphics.Show.Physicals - This will toggle the visibility of your colliders in your Age so that you can see them, very helpful if your falling through areas or getting stuck.

The skydivers'll love that one :)

andylegate wrote:There are others, but I'm hesitant to post them (like how to link to your Age, a type of Flymode, etc), as I'm not sure what would cause a problem or not, so I'll leave that in the Dev's hand to reveal those things to you.

I'm thinking about putting together a little introductory class in The Fun House, where we can go over the various linking commands, explain some of the debugging tools, and stuff like that. Would anyone be interested in this? If there's some interest, I'll definitely start putting the plan together.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby I.Brattin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:12 am

K I am still having problems. Texture files are not being saved when I save the max file. If I save close and reopen, the texture is missing. The material is still assigned to the mesh but no matter what its not saving the texture file.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Postby andylegate » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:23 pm

I.Brattin wrote:K I am still having problems. Texture files are not being saved when I save the max file. If I save close and reopen, the texture is missing. The material is still assigned to the mesh but no matter what its not saving the texture file.

Hrmmmmm. You're using a new version of Max, so I'm not sure if any of these will help, but......

1) Check your file paths for external files, and make sure where you have your textures stored is included. In Max 7, 8, and 9 you click on Customize > Configure Paths and then click on the External Files tab.

2) Make sure Max has permissions to write files where it needs to.

That is all I can think of. I've had the same problem too, but only when I first load something up and the textures have moved, Max didn't know where they were. But after doing step 1 above, it never had that problem again (unless I loaded a new scene where the texture path was unknown to Max).
andylegate

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development