Ignore = inaudible ... and invisible?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Ignore = inaudible ... and invisible?

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:13 am

I just tested and Relto book spam blocking is not, I repeat NOT broken. Well, at least in the good ol' MOULa client it works perfectly. If you somehow broke it in the GoW client I guess you'll just have to fix it there. ;)
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:57 pm

D'Lanor wrote:I just tested and Relto book spam blocking is not, I repeat NOT broken. Well, at least in the good ol' MOULa client it works perfectly. If you somehow broke it in the GoW client I guess you'll just have to fix it there. ;)

Well, that's all well and good, but people on the MOUL forum are complaining to the contrary... And I'm pretty sure they use the "good ol' MOULa client." Of course, given my experience with "the user" I'll take your explanation that it's not broken ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Here's a thought. it is a known fact that player lists regularly break down on Cyan's MOULa shard. This probably affects the ignore list as well. So maybe that is what "the user" experienced.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:16 pm

That's possible, but the people who talk about relto spamming never indicate the other features of the ignore feature don't work... So I don't know what's going on. We both know it should work, and if you say it works, I'm inclined to believe it until I have definitive proof to the contrary (ie seeing it not work for myself).

@Gahlen

There seems to be a little bit of misconception about the need for vault tools to add a separate player list. This isn't the case. Rather, the issue is that the developer would have to write some code to access the new "Shun" folder *without* outright exposing access to the player's root vault data to the Python API. Playing with Vault APIs is not fun and, if done incorrectly, can introduce more stuttering lag to the game, which would be a bad thing. I've been doing a lot of work to get rid of those avoidable lags, and I wouldn't appreciate the introduction of more ;)

I'm generally against disabling avatar clickability because, as the python function that Luna cites is, it disables the clickability of your avatar for everyone currently in the age. The KI is already nasty enough without me adding more hacks ;). What I *would* be amendable to would be to add a switch like "/shun" that would toggle the mutual invisibility feature. This way, Marten could get his desire, people who don't want to be seen by griefers get theirs, and I don't have to add more vault APIs. Another benefit is that the user doesn't need to manage another player list in the KI, which prevents too much complexity (ideally, the default setting of "shun on" would not need to be changed, except for perhaps in Marten's case). This switch would be like that checkbox in the KI that allows you to only receive KI mail from buddies, except I don't have a way to add it to the KI GUI. Perhaps we can get someone with 3ds Max 7 to add that for me, and I could hook it up.

I think that should make sense :)
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Gahlen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:21 pm

D'Lanor is right: I've just tested it myself both ways, it works. And it turns out that no one over at MOUL has actually ever said that it doesn't. What happened was this: I suggested making /ignored avatars invisible, Luna replied suggesting turning off clickability because it would deal with Relto-spamming, I took this to mean that there was no way of doing that in the game at present, so I asked Adam about it, he said he didn't know why it didn't work, I took this as confirmation that it didn't work, and went back to MOUL and told them that as a fact. So ok: looks to me like this is maybe a non-problem after all. That's excellent. :)
Gahlen

Postby Gahlen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:I think that should make sense :)

Even to me. ;) Two questions about it:

1. I'm going to need to go back through the MOUL thread and check this, but it may be that we would have quite a few people interested in a toggle like this that simultaneously blocked both visibility and text chat two-way in the case of /ignore. Easy/difficult?

2. With the collapse of the Relto-spamming issue, one of the most obvious arguments in favour of mutual invisibility seems to me to be gone. What we have left is my voyeurism worry (people watching an avatar shadow a victim and having a laugh at that while the victim doesn't know what is happening) and our friendly neighbourhood youtube stalker. On the other side we have some strongly felt fears that putting this into people's hands would be a bad thing for the Cavern. Meanwhile, I reckon we have pretty much decided over there that, although some people want more, no one wants less than one-way invisibility. In terms of the coding process, therefore, would it make any sense from your perspective to divide this into two updates, one just adding one-way invisibility to the current /ignore function (and the revoke invitations thing, everyone wants that) and a second adding the toggle? Would also give us some breathing space to find someone to do the GUI.
Gahlen

Postby Luna » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:22 am

I did not know ignoring already stopped reltospam :oops: Maybe it is an idea to list what the ignore function already does in the threads? I think more people are unaware of the exact functionality.

I think the argument for mutual visibility was more the merging polygon problem (people standing in, or very close all the time) and being filmed. So far I know the latter is at this moment only one troll doing that so I do not find that a very valid argument.The former however happens more and can be very irritating.
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:01 am

1. That was actually my plan ;)

2. I was actually going to commit the changes as two separate entities. The first being one-way invisibility, the second being two-way invisibility. This is generally a nice way to do development, and it usually is what happens unless there's a massive rewrite taking place or the project is just getting started.

You're doing a pretty good job of managing the masses over at MOUL btw 8-)
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Gahlen » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:00 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:You're doing a pretty good job of managing the masses over at MOUL btw 8-)

Thanks! :P

I promised myself I wasn't going to look in on the thread today, but of course I did. Nalates has raised some technical issues: do we have any idea of how implementing either of these changes might affect game performance? I'm guessing not a lot, but it would be better if either someone who knew things about this replied to her, or I could cite some hard facts/numbers in my reply on Monday.
Gahlen

Postby Trekluver » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:27 am

Hey guys, I've been following this and commenting on it from the MOULa forum. I started a wiki article to keep easy track of all the purposed ideas in play. Let me know if those descriptions are accurate for everybody or not. Also, if someone over at OpenUru could keep a carbon copy up-to-date over on their wiki that would be great. Thanks.
http://guildofwriters.org/wiki/KI:_New_Feature_Log
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image
Trekluver

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development