Persoanal server problems

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Personal server problems - Ubuntu 12.04

Postby johnsojc » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 am

OK. Finally! I managed to get my DIRTSAND build environment working again on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server. It appears that upgrading to 12.04 breaks too many things (including gnome).

I downloaded the ISO for Ubuntu 12.04 and did a clean install of EVERYTHING. Except for a couple of missteps on my part, it was a very straightforward build. Installing gnome gets you the Ubuntu Desktop (warning: Update Manger is NOT installed by default). DIRTSAND is running fine (so far). I was somewhat curious as to why I have an ResEng hardhat (the one with the light) in my Relto closet... not really complaining :) ).

So far the only error message I received that I wasn't expecting was [Vault] Warning: Could not find SDL descriptor for AvatarCustomization. I will see if I can locate that particular file somewhere.

Moving on...
johnsojc

Re: Persoanal server problems

Postby Lyrositor » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:35 am

That helmet appears only in Internal client, since these were the clients used by the ResEngs.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Re: Personal server problems

Postby johnsojc » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:50 am

Ah! veeeeery interestink. I did have a couple of segment faults on my new build of DIRTSAND but they seemed to have just been startup problems. I created two avvies and I'm taking one thru the Cleft now. So far, so good. I'm luvin' Ubuntu 12.04 (now ;) ).
johnsojc

Re: Personal server problems - Ubuntu 12.04

Postby Deledrius » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:07 pm

johnsojc wrote:So far the only error message I received that I wasn't expecting was [Vault] Warning: Could not find SDL descriptor for AvatarCustomization. I will see if I can locate that particular file somewhere.

Nope, that's a just a warning, not an error. There is no SDL for ACA, which is why the server posts the warning.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Re: Personal server problems

Postby johnsojc » Wed May 16, 2012 6:10 am

I was messing around with trying to connect to my local MOSS server using the H'uru client and trying to figure out how to get an external client to work with both MOSS and DIRTSAND. Long story short, setting up for external was a miserable failure due to my lack of knowledge in all things concerning server setup.

I cleaned up my client devel environment and started over. During this time I also upgraded my server to Ubuntu 12.04. When I finally managed to get back to building internal clients again, I found my DIRTSAND server would seg fault almost everytime I tried to link to an Age. I ran clear_vault() but that did not seem to fix anything so I recompiled DIRTSAND in the new environment. That seems to have fixed the problem and now my internal client is working again.

Another problem I had was the horrendous number if errors I got in my MOSS logs using the H'uru internal client. Failure to write nodes, blob size mismatches, other things I need to research to figure out just what the error is... The MOSS server also failed to remember my progress. Is this typical of using and internal client or could my MOSS setup be totally hosed?
johnsojc

Postby Christian Walther » Wed May 16, 2012 10:36 am

I regularly use internal clients (both H-uru and CWE-ou) on a MOSS server without such problems, so I would guess the latter.
Christian Walther

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed May 16, 2012 2:22 pm

MOSS is a stac of cards. I would recommend against expecting it to wor as you would expect ;)

(My j+1 ey on the eyboard seems to have committed hara-iri btw)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Charura » Wed May 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:(My j+1 ey on the eyboard seems to have committed hara-iri btw)

So you are now Tsar Hoias?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ1IOY8YNpM

Enjoy...It's all in fun...I had nothing better to do today... :oops:
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby johnsojc » Wed May 16, 2012 3:26 pm

Into each keyboard a crumb will fall.

Into each program a bug will hatch.

Into each life a game will become an obsession.

(please take a "K" and call us in the morning. :) )

I wish we could just chuck out all this old crappy software and start over fresh. :x
johnsojc

Postby Branan » Wed May 16, 2012 4:53 pm

johnsojc wrote:I wish we could just chuck out all this old crappy software and start over fresh. :x

I keep threatening to do that, then I realize how much effort it actually is ;)
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development