Bug Report: Hood Creation

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Bug Report: Hood Creation

Postby johnsojc » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:25 pm

This might be a bit premature as I need to test it more thoroughly.

I was playing with my new devel shard (Internal client/dirtsand) and I created a new avvie to test out making a new neighborhood. I got my KI and deleted the hood book and entered the nexus to create the new hood. This seemed to work fine but when I went back to the nexus to set it public, I could not see it listed. I switched to my first avvie and had the same result... no listing under Public Ages. I did all the usual things... restarted the client... restarted the server... to no effect.

I brought up pgAdmin and started snooping in the database and discovered that the owner count was zero for the new Age. After digging through the Python code I saw that if the owner count was 0 and the population count was zero, the hood is not displayed. The bug is that the original creator was not being counted as an owner so I never saw the Age listed with any avvie. After changing the owner count to 1 manually, the Age was displayed in the nexus listing.

Is this by design or is this a bug? I need to do this with another avvie (and possibly using a different account) checking if the KI says that avvie is an owner even if the owner count is 0.

I could really use some tools to be able to inspect the vault contents of my test setup... or even a bunch of fire extinguishers to freeze those BLOBs into submission. :D
johnsojc

Re: Bug Report: Hood Creation

Postby Lyrositor » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:28 pm

I've experienced this too, and this bug is apparently known. Setting the population 1 seems to be the hacky fix for now. I don't know any more than that.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby johnsojc » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Well, if a complete n00b like me can find it, I'm sure someone else noticed it before. I found out today (the hard way) not to go messing with version numbers... I changed my client to .906 and my server gave me an authentication error... build mismatch. <sheesh> I had to recompile both the client and server again to get them to match. I guess I'm having fun... :roll:
johnsojc

Postby Lyrositor » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:08 pm

It's amazing to see how you seem to be following the exact same pattern as me! :) Not a few weeks ago, I was noticing this too. Then I set up my DIRTSAND shard. I found that population bug. I had problems with my internal (quite similar to the ones you described). You seem to be progressing faster than me, though, so maybe you'll be telling me what is and what isn't soon. ;)
About the build ID, one thing I've thought about trying to implement is making the client in Internal -LocalData mode fetch the build ID from a file instead of the source code. I'm pretty sure this should be easily done, even for a C++ beginner like me, so it might make it easier to hop across shards with the same client.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Return to Plasma Development