Input method of the underbar key ( _ )

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Input method of the underbar key ( _ )

Postby Toki » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Always thank you for kindness, everybody. :)

When I played with an Offline KI commands, I have been troubled.
When I use the command; /hide, /show, /float, /struct, I input the name of the object.
In the name of the objects, there are right_shelf or PonderosaBig_02, but, with the keyboard of my PC, cannot type this underbar key.

I am a Japanese, and the using PC is made in Japan.
With the PC of my country and the PC of the country of all of you, will the placement of the keyboard be by any chance different? :oops:

How do all of you type an underbar key in a chat screen?

I thank for any help.
Toki
Toki

Re: Input method of the underbar key ( _ )

Postby johnsojc » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:18 pm

On a Japanese keyboard you usually can type an underscore by hitting the backslash key close to the bottom-right corner of the keyboard while holding down the Shift key.

SHIFT + \
johnsojc

Postby Toki » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:30 pm

johnsojc :)
Thank you for a quick reply.

I can type underbar key by this method.
However, with the chat screen of MOULa, even this way cannot type underbar key. :?
Do all of you type underbar key with a chat screen of MOULa (and Drizzle) by this method?

Mmm, why will not it be displayed with my PC? :(
I am sorry that to have caused trouble.
Toki

Postby Deledrius » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Toki wrote:Do all of you type underbar key with a chat screen of MOULa (and Drizzle) by this method?.

On the US-English QWERTY keyboard, the underbar (or underscore) is a standard key accessed by a shift of the hyphen/minus key, so it's never been a concern in usage here.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby johnsojc » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:58 pm

This is too technical for me. I know the underscore (or underbar) is 0x5F and that character displays the "_" character in my MOULa chat. It might be that even using SHIFT + \ on your keyboard may be sending some character code other than 0x5F even though it displays correctly on other programs. Without knowing exaclty what character code is generated by your system, it is hard to know exactly what is happeing. Maybe someone more knowledgeable of charcter sets can suggest a way to test what your keyboard encoding is sending to the system.
johnsojc

Postby Toki » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:34 am

Deledrius :) , johnsojc :)
Thank you for kindness.

Deledrius wrote:On the US-English QWERTY keyboard, the underbar (or underscore) is a standard key accessed by a shift of the hyphen/minus key, so it's never been a concern in usage here.

A Japanese PC is the same QWERTY keyboard, too.
Toki

Postby Christian Walther » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:02 am

Basically, keyboard input in MOULa is a mess, and there is nothing you can do about it. There are many characters I cannot type on my Swiss German keyboard layout, and it’s even worse on Mac OS because Cider adds to the confusion. Unless you are using a US keyboard layout, don’t expect to be able to type any character other than ASCII characters typed without shift or any other modifier keys.

Hopefully we will get the improvements made by Hoikas and others in this area into MOULa some day.

As a workaround, I would recommend switching to a US keyboard layout for playing Uru (you can’t type Japanese characters in Uru anyway). In Windows 7, you do that in Control Panel > Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Change Keybaords (you can also enable the “Language Bar” in the taskbar there that allows you to switch more quickly).
Christian Walther

Postby Sirius » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:21 am

Christian Walther wrote:As a workaround, I would recommend switching to a US keyboard layout for playing Uru (you can’t type Japanese characters in Uru anyway). In Windows 7, you do that in Control Panel > Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Change Keybaords (you can also enable the “Language Bar” in the taskbar there that allows you to switch more quickly).
Under Windows, you can use Alt+Maj to switch between keyboard types more quickly. It works for my AZERTY to switch to QWERTY (very useful since I can't type the !, <, > characters in MOUL otherwise). Might works for Japanese too.
Sirius

Postby Toki » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Christian Walther :) , Sirius :)
Thank you very much for splendid information.

Christian Walther wrote:As a workaround, I would recommend switching to a US keyboard layout for playing Uru (you can’t type Japanese characters in Uru anyway).

I changed it into US keyboard layout.
:o :o :o
I was able to type underbar key. :)

Thanks to you, more commands came to be usable.
It was really lucky that I was able to meet all of you here. ;)

With thanks :)
Toki
Toki

Postby Deledrius » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Glad you were able to get the help you needed! Fortunately there's a fairly diverse international community here. :D
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Next

Return to Plasma Development