Linux Server Workaround

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Linux Server Workaround

Postby PeterC » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:15 am

Is there a way to create a server without a Linux machine? Or is there a virtual Linux I can install on my computer?
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one. -Dendwaler

Have you even TRIED to set up a client and server? THAT takes ages. -PeterC
PeterC

Re: Linux Server Workaround

Postby diafero » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:36 pm

Is there a way to create a server without a Linux machine?
What kind of server do you mean? Even for Uru, there are many different kinds of servers out there, see the versions overview wiki page.

Or is there a virtual Linux I can install on my computer?
Yes, there is: For example, you could download VirtualBox and set up a virtual machine using an iso image of your favourite Linux distribution. There might be some additional steps necessary so that the server can be reached from other computers on your LAN or the internet, which google can probably tell you more about :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Lyrositor » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:56 pm

If you're talking about DIRTSAND or MOSS, I can definitely say a virtualized Linux server is possible. I have done so myself. Very useful for local testing of Ages. 8-)

However, if you don't want to touch the Mighty Penguin at all, you could possibly use Cygwin, although I'm not sure the aforementioned software will work on it.

(I'm assuming you want to set up a development shard)
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby PeterC » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Yes, I am trying to make a development server, DIRTSAND if possible. Would VirtualBox or Cygwin allow the same machine to be server and client?
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one. -Dendwaler

PeterC

Postby Deledrius » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:11 pm

PeterC wrote:Yes, I am trying to make a development server, DIRTSAND if possible. Would VirtualBox or Cygwin allow the same machine to be server and client?

Yes, though it depends on the beefiness of the system how viable that will be. I've pulled it off on my ancient P4.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Paradox » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:24 pm

PeterC wrote:Yes, I am trying to make a development server, DIRTSAND if possible. Would VirtualBox or Cygwin allow the same machine to be server and client?

VirtualBox will. I doubt cygwin will work for what you want.
Paradox

Postby PeterC » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:13 pm

diafero wrote: For example, you could download VirtualBox and set up a virtual machine using an iso image of your favourite Linux distribution. There might be some additional steps necessary so that the server can be reached from other computers on your LAN or the internet, which google can probably tell you more about :)

I know nothing about Linux. Can anyone recommend one?

PeterC

Postby Deledrius » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:23 pm

PeterC wrote:
diafero wrote: For example, you could download VirtualBox and set up a virtual machine using an iso image of your favourite Linux distribution. There might be some additional steps necessary so that the server can be reached from other computers on your LAN or the internet, which google can probably tell you more about :)

I know nothing about Linux. Can anyone recommend one?

Ubuntu is definitely your best bet for this.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby PeterC » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Thanks for the help.

PeterC

Postby PeterC » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Ok, now all I need as a version of VirtualBox that is compatible with XP. Anyone know which will work?

Edit:
Nevermind that. Anyone know how much RAM UBUNTU and the DIRTSAND server will need?

PeterC

Next

Return to Plasma Development