Drizzle converted MystV ages in 'invalid version'

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Drizzle converted MystV ages in 'invalid version'

Postby dave735 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:12 pm

I tried to convert my MystV ages (GoG download) using Drizzle30, and the conversion seemed to go fine (with renamed eoa.exe > mystv.exe). But when I started the DI Shard, it reviewed my installation and returned the following error:
The following ages were found to have an invalid version and were therefore
removed from your URU installation:
dat/Laki.age
dat/DecentMystV.age
dat/Todelmer.age
dat/Siralehn.age
dat/Tahgira.age
So, I am not able to access any of the MystV ages. In fact, now if I try to click on the links to them, the program crashes rather than returning an error message like before. I have no other indication of what the problem is, but it seems likely to be in the Drizzle conversion. Please advise.
dave735

Re: Drizzle converted MystV ages in 'invalid version'

Postby diafero » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:22 pm

This means that the files you got are not the ones the server expects. I remember there was one version of Myst V having this issue - it could well be the GoG version. They added some new languages or something, ending up with different content for some age files. Unfortunately, the way Uru works, *everyone* connected to a server must have *exactly* the same files, or things get (even more) unpredictable.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby dave735 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:50 pm

So what you're telling me is that I need to buy a different copy of Myst V from some other source and try again. Perhaps this problem should be highlighted at some point (or several points) in the forum documentation. I can't say that I'm too concerned with plunking down another $15 or so to try again, but I expect a lot of DI newbies might be. Also, some guidance on just which versions of Myst are the right ones would be helpful.
dave735

Postby Charura » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:50 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Drizzle program expects the original Myst V to be installed before porting over...

try these? = http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby diafero » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:52 pm

dave has an original Myst V game, but unfortunately, in a wrong version.

So what you're telling me is that I need to buy a different copy of Myst V from some other source and try again.
If you want to play online on DI - yes. Sorry for that. The version from GoG.com has been confirmed to work by others. Can anyone reading this confirm?

Perhaps this problem should be highlighted at some point (or several points) in the forum documentation.
The problem is - where? I just added a note to this post. That's the only place I can think of, as this is a Deep-Island-specific problem.
There are ways around this, but that would involve me uploading noticeable parts of Myst V onto the Deep Island server - which is something I'd rather not do...
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby dave735 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:36 am

Let me say first, and outright, I am in awe of your efforts to maintain this shard, Diafero. It is the most playable and most visited shard outside of MOULa itself, and that is clearly due largely to your outstanding efforts. All I hope to accomplish in posting these comments is to highlight for other newbies the fact that Drizzle is not going to accept just any copy of Myst V that they happen to find online. My own experience is that the GoG version will not work. Perhaps they had a different version at some point and replaced it for whatever reason. But what I have is the only version GoG currently offers, and the shard will not accept it. So caveate emptor.
dave735

Postby diafero » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:00 am

Let me say first, and outright, I am in awe of your efforts to maintain this shard, Diafero. It is the most playable and most visited shard outside of MOULa itself, and that is clearly due largely to your outstanding efforts.
Thanks for these kind words :)

But what I have is the only version GoG currently offers, and the shard will not accept it. So caveate emptor.
Now that's weird. Could you double-check that you indeed used the GoG version as source for the conversion to the DI client, and not accidentally some other path? Also, it's important that you are really using Drizzle 30 (it tells its version number in the window title). If all of this applies, we could at least try to find out what the exact set of differences is:
* Download the MD5 tool from http://www.blisstonia.com/software/WinMD5/
* Perform another complete GoG Myst V conversion to the DI installation with Drizzle
* Do NOT start Uru!
* Open the MD5 tool, choose File - Open File..., go to the dat folder of your DI installation, select *all* files, and hit open
* Wait (this can take a looong time) until it says "(0 items enqueued)"
* Choose File - Save MD5 file...
* Send the resulting file to diafero AT arcor DOT de

Is anyone else reading this who had bought the GoG version of Myst V?

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby diafero » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks to what dave sent me, I could analyse the differences of the Descent (which I just picked to start somewhere). To support the Myst V version he used, I'd have to upload around 12 MiB of Descent prp data, which is about half of the geometry - I'm not sure if that's worth it, and I didn't yet look at the other ages.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby dave735 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:06 pm

I have now received my copy of the correct version of Myst V (the one in the white box). I installed it, converted it, and am now with some elation getting my first look at the Myst V ages in 3D! Since I got this second copy from Tacoma Goodwill Industries, the money went to charity - so it's all good.

Re: Diafero's last comment -- Under the circumstances, my feeling is that the added work to make the second version of Myst V (the one in the gold box) convertible doesn't seem worthwhile. Especially since, as you pointed out earlier in this thread, having two versions loaded into the game may have unexpected, and probably unpleasant consequences. All you really need is to make it clear that the second version doesn't convert.
dave735

Postby diafero » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:23 am

So, the "Gold" versions do not work, but the "white" versions do?

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Next

Return to Plasma Development