A Budget For Vertices and Faces

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

A Budget For Vertices and Faces

Postby Karkadann » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:06 am

I was wondering if any body has information on how much detailed you can have per object and per age
I noticed if something is to highly detailed IE to many vertices and faces it will not export, or if an age is to highly detailed it produces a lot of lag or will not export as quickly.
Does any one know the numbers and specifics in layman's terms

Thanks in advance

and Happy Holidays
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Re: A Budget For Vertex's and Faces

Postby dendwaler » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:09 am

Karkadann wrote:I was wondering if any body has information on how much detailed you can have per object and per age

This question has been asked many times on this forum.
I did the same 2 years ago.
There is no clear answer to it, but i will try to give some rough figures.
Note that this figures are from my experience only, and not because i "know" the answer technically correct.

As as start, the max number and faces are not in relation with an age, but in relation to how much will be rendered by the video card.
To tell your video card what has to be rendered you can intoduce a soft region , called" visible region", but there are more ways to achieve the same.

When you did not split your age into visible regions the " age" equals to 1 Visible region.
So lets stick to 1 region only for the moment.
On low end video cards/systems, the lag starts when you reach about 280.000 vertices containing around 200.000 faces.
On a decent video card/system combination you can double these numbers easily.
An other thing is the size of the texture, after exporting the size of the prp texture file is preferable not more then 100MB.
Thats all i can say as a rule of thumb.

But if you splitted your age into 2 visible regions every region can handle the same amount of vertices and faces.
But be aware of the fact that sometimes one object can be part of 2 or more visible regions.
Than the vertices of that object count for the total of each region.
My age in development " cathedral has by now a total of 800.000 vertices and 700.000 faces and is divided into 7 visional regions .
there is no lag on low video cards, but there is some lag when a big animation starts.
So this animation gets its own small visregion.

The total amount of textures has nothing to do with visregions, it has all to be loaded inside the video memory when loading the age.
Old cards have only 500MB available and very old cards only 250MB.
So you have to take care of that and better not go higher then 100 MB for the total.(compressed size as prp )
But if you exceed it, it will not immediately give a dramatic performance drop in my experience.

I hope this clarifies you a bit.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Return to Plasma Development