Windows 8 and Drizzle

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Windows 8 and Drizzle

Postby Gurev » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:09 am

Hello Everyone,

Appears that I am the first masochist here. To make a long story short, my desktop has died and forced me to pick up a new PC on short notice. Unfortunately, all of the lower priced solutions (all I have money for right now) come installed with Windows(R) 8 64 bit. After installing everything I wanted I have found a number of positive results. First, compatibility with older software has not been as eliminated as foretold.

Running (the good news - only needed tweaks to compatibility settings, despite DirectX 9.0c not being compatible):
MYST V
URU Complete Chronicle

I plan to try MOULAgain and the Gehn shard soon, I will let everyone know. Given my current success and the fact I had everything running in Windows 7 64 bit previously, I am optimistic.

Not running (the bad news):
Drizzle

After installing Java, making sure it installed correctly and was running, I tried Drizzle30.jar. It shows the splash title and disappears. Once again, I had this running previously on a 64 big Windows 7 machine, so it sounds like it should work.

Given that I am not writing a lot right now, I was wondering if anyone in the Guild had any suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Gurev
"Windows 8, all the features you weren't sure you wanted and more" - my teenage son
Gurev

Re: Windows 8 and Drizzle

Postby dendwaler » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:42 am

If you copy the directory with your "drizzle" installation from your old W7 64 bit pc to w8, it works, its portable and does not have any registery settings.
I never tried a " fresh" installation on w8, because i have a portable installed version on a memory stick.
That memory stick runs from anywhere on any pc on any windows version.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Gurev » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 pm

dendwaler wrote:If you copy the directory with your "drizzle" installation from your old W7 64 bit pc to w8, it works, its portable and does not have any registery settings.
I never tried a " fresh" installation on w8, because i have a portable installed version on a memory stick.
That memory stick runs from anywhere on any pc on any windows version.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried both the copy of drizzle from my old computer and a new installation. This definitely seems to be a JAVA issue with Drizzle in Windows 8. I am copying my entire installation from the backup and I will see. Let you know.

Sincerely,
Gurev
Gurev

Postby Gurev » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Hello Everyone,

I got Drizzle working. Took editing permissions in the firewall for the .jar file and JAVA. Evidently everyone is worried about security issues around JAVA now.

On another note, the Vista and Windows 7 fixes still apply in Windows 8.

Sincerely,
Gurev
Gurev

Return to Plasma Development