CWE Compiler Bump

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: CWE Compiler Bump

Postby Deledrius » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:34 pm

jamie_marchant wrote:VS2013 is 5 GB, the time and 'download cost'[commonly incorrectly referred to as 'bandwidth'] is too high for me for a project I only play around with and never contribute towards. It's too bad you can't download just the compiler(I think you could with previous versions) or just VSC++.

Is there any way you could download it somewhere else? A friend, the library, etc.? According to their site, the size is only 789.7 MB. That's still substantial if you're metered, but not nearly as bad as 5 GB. It might be doable. Or else perhaps someone could provide it to you on a CD.

I agree it would be nice if they offered just the compiler alone from the IDE. Hopefully we can get MinGW working someday, which would allow more options for building on Windows. IIRC, PhysX is the primary blocker for that.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby jamie_marchant » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Hmm... weird, the system requrments say "5 GB of disk space" but the ISO is only 408 MB large(a resonable/afadle amount), guess the disk space includes priojects and 'tempory files.

EDIT:
Oh make sure you get the correct version of VS Express, the one you want is "Visual Studio Express for Windows Desktop". "Visual Studio Express for Windows" is for Windows 8.1 only.
jamie_marchant

Postby Luna » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:05 am

Iso's are (heavily) compressed, the installation can be about 5GB depending on what you install :)
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby Paradox » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:44 pm

If you're wanting to get set up with the new compiler and devlibs, I recommend reading over the project landing page/setup page at http://h-uru.github.io/Plasma
One of our goals was to make it easier both to understand the instructions and to get the code building and running :)
Paradox

Previous

Return to Plasma Development