Deledrius. Please think of this post as frustration not anger.
I have tried a couple of Distros but particularly Debian and Ubuntu always a latest stable copy usually but not exclusively taken from a live install DVD.
I have lost track of how many Linux install disks I have created.
I always build on a physical PC connected to the internet so I can get the updates and upgrades I do not use virtual PC's as I am in position of having hardware and I previously got lost down a rabbit hole of virtual machines and lost 3 virtual machines when a single Hard Drive failed.
When I build I keep the instructions in a notebook log so that I can identify and rebuild if some hardware should fail and I can also make notes on what I have actually tried so I do not repeat mistakes. Also this provides me with a source for writing concise Noob guides where I specify every step.
That's why I am asking for anyone that has had a successful install.
I have no preordained choices other than getting a working install.
I keep going to the download instructions where I usually print a hard copy so that I can highlight each step in a build process.
I admit sometimes I am not the sharpest tool in the box but I can follow instructions, and I am an adept at discovering places where those instructions either fall short, or descend into jargon or some secret language requiring some hidden prior knowledge.
The fact that the Wiki is 2014 would highlight that it is possibly out of date as we are now well into 2018.
I looked at the "most recent instructions for Dirtsand" the one where you provided a link to the Github page.
This deals with setting up the database one of the prerequisites for those instructions is "libreadline"
This is specifically the point at which my Linux install falls flat on its arse (please excuse the Anglo Saxon I find it particularly fitting).
The point I am making is that those "most recent instructions for Dirtsand" are useless if the prerequisites are unavailable.
I would be very much in a dark place were it not for my ability to test via Destiny.
Korman 0.06 is dead in the water without a testing location and the Path of the Shell export has issues as I discovered with my testing of that route.
I hate to point out that in my OP I did say that "libreadline"
is the specific point at which I am stuck and that my inability to progress beyond that point means that I cannot even hope to explore the instructions provided in the Github under "most recent instructions for Dirtsand".