Dirtsand Early 2018

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Dirtsand Early 2018

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat May 19, 2018 5:49 pm

It would appear you have a mixmatched data set. I suspect you are using the TOC client and the standard MOULa data on the server. You need to use the same dataset on the shard and on your client. The server can't use data it doesn't know about.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby J'Kla » Sun May 20, 2018 3:03 am

Just for clarity I have two installations Destiny and Enobmort where Enobmort is the client for my Shard.

The client I am using for Enobmort is a copy of Destiny with an edited server.ini file to point it at my server.

Since Destiny is also a dirtsand shard and my connection to that is ok it should be ok Yes?

My shard has ages and SDL folders retrieved from https://github.com/H-uru/moul-scripts where ages is the dat folder renamed and the SDL folder is copied as is.

I have tried changing the dat folder in my Enobmort client folder to a copy of the dat folder from a functioning URU Live (this did not work).

In desperation I even made a copy of my dat folder renamed it ages and dumped that as my new ages file that did not work either so I have reverted to the dat I retrieved from github.

I am trying desperately to understand where I am going wrong and I am confused as to where I am getting the mismatch my Local Destiny/dat folder has extras in it that are from my local testing of my ages but as far as I can tell these remain dormant and local till you use the plasma console to call them they do not interfere with my Destiny login.

It would appear that I am pre-loading my shard with the wrong data but I ended up at https://github.com/H-uru/moul-scripts by following a link in the instructions.

I understand there is a mismatch so I tried using the https://github.com/H-uru/moul-scripts/dat for my client and for the ages on my shard this resulted in a rising message counter in the bottom left of the screen and an eventual crash to desktop.

Am I getting my shard data from the wrong place?

I only ended up at https://github.com/H-uru/moul-scripts because I followed the link in the guidance and I have to be close or I would not be getting as much as I am.

I cant understand why a client that works for Destiny does not work for my Enobmort.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Sun May 20, 2018 10:56 am

J'Kla wrote:Just for clarity I have two installations Destiny and Enobmort where Enobmort is the client for my Shard.

The client I am using for Enobmort is a copy of Destiny with an edited server.ini file to point it at my server.

Since Destiny is also a dirtsand shard and my connection to that is ok it should be ok Yes?

No. The client and server need to be in sync, using the same data. Normally the fileserver (if you configure it) will take care of this for you, but it's an extra hassle to do this for a testing server you want to develop ages on. In order to skip using the fileserver, you have to do this synchronization initially yourself (and be sure to use the -LocalData switch when launching the client, as I mentioned previously).

J'Kla wrote:My shard has ages and SDL folders retrieved from https://github.com/H-uru/moul-scripts where ages is the dat folder renamed and the SDL folder is copied as is.

Your client needs to be using the same SDL and dat files as the server. The client should also be using the Python scripts that come along with those files (the server doesn't use them).

J'Kla wrote:I have tried changing the dat folder in my Enobmort client folder to a copy of the dat folder from a functioning URU Live (this did not work).

Your server is not running on the data from Uru Live, so this won't work.

J'Kla wrote:I only ended up at https://github.com/H-uru/moul-scripts because I followed the link in the guidance and I have to be close or I would not be getting as much as I am.

The instructions specify this because it is required.

J'Kla wrote:I cant understand why a client that works for Destiny does not work for my Enobmort.

Because your server isn't the Destiny server. The Destiny client is not made to work with your server.

This part of setting things up can be a bit complicated, and it's never been streamlined for users (it's for server admins, and so far, server admins who understand how Uru works). It's made even more tedious because Cyan hasn't given us (or anyone, to my knowledge) the right to copy and distribute their Age data. In order to get a working client dataset, you'll need to use a fresh install from MOULa, fully-patched, and then copy the moul-scripts dat folder over the existing files, copy the moul-scripts SDL folder over the existing files, delete the python.pak supplied by Cyan (if you have it) and copy the moul-scripts Python scripts into the Python folder. You'll also need to put your server.ini in this client as well, and the UruLauncher.exe from Destiny or Gehn (I believe either should work).

That's off the top of my head and it's been many many years since I last had to do this, so I may be forgetting something. I wish we could automate this to be easier, but we have a lot of projects and very few people, and setting up new servers hasn't been in large demand. We could probably use an entire wiki page on the dirtsand project devoted to just this topic of constructing a valid client.

Obviously at this point you've put a lot of work into getting this set up and I'm sure you want to have it successfully working, but I'm curious as to why Destiny is insufficient for your needs. Running your own server for testing is unnecessary thanks to Destiny, so unless you want to run your own game for friends with a private set of Ages (which would be pretty cool!) it seems like just a lot of work getting in the way of you spending more time building Ages. What is your goal?
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Mon May 21, 2018 12:11 am

Lets just clear the reason it is the easiest to answer.

I want to run a small shared shard maybe as few as three users on a local network in a place that is NOT on the internet so I was looking to do exactly what Destiny does but without an internet connection.

I also want to be able to include fan built worlds.

Secondary reason I want to make what I create to be repeatable by incoming new idiots like Me, that means I have to refine the instructions.

To do that I need to be able understand every step so that if something does not work we have a chance of finding where the method breaks because of say some Linux update has moved the goalposts.

One advantage is I have fully documented every step and when it is complete there's every chance you will have your new wiki page as a bonus.

There is a good possibility that by the end of the year I will have access to a venue with three screens each one 3 meters wide by 2.5 meters tall where I could be running an Avatar on each screen in a shared world.
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Mon May 21, 2018 5:01 am

OK Working Write up to follow soon (My soon not Cyan soon).

Nowhere near as complex once you know how.

Have you ever considered there were so few Admins and people building their own shards simply because there were no concise instructions?

From an idiots point of view (and here I am qualified) this does not really need automating just a decent set of instructions. ;)
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Mon May 21, 2018 5:59 pm

J'Kla wrote:Lets just clear the reason it is the easiest to answer.

I want to run a small shared shard maybe as few as three users on a local network in a place that is NOT on the internet so I was looking to do exactly what Destiny does but without an internet connection.

I also want to be able to include fan built worlds.

That's pretty great! :D I've been hoping for a long time that people would be more interested in doing this sort of project.

J'Kla wrote:To do that I need to be able understand every step so that if something does not work we have a chance of finding where the method breaks because of say some Linux update has moved the goalposts.

I'm not sure how much you will understand at this stage. Getting things accomplished is usually the first step in understanding, not the last. ;) If there's one thing I've learned it's that I always have more to learn!

J'Kla wrote:One advantage is I have fully documented every step and when it is complete there's every chance you will have your new wiki page as a bonus.

I look forward to your updates to the wiki. I'd suggest keeping the changes to a minimum, adding steps and explanations where necessary to the existing instructions. Be sure to post here when you do, so I and some of the other technical people can go over it for factual errors (you made a few crucial ones in your recent post outlining the steps you've taken). Hopefully by the end we can have some really stellar instructions that are more helpful. :D

J'Kla wrote:There is a good possibility that by the end of the year I will have access to a venue with three screens each one 3 meters wide by 2.5 meters tall where I could be running an Avatar on each screen in a shared world.

But will you have enough hands?! ;)

J'Kla wrote:Nowhere near as complex once you know how.

That's always the main pitfall when trying to write about something you know how to do.

J'Kla wrote:Have you ever considered there were so few Admins and people building their own shards simply because there were no concise instructions?

Sure have. I've been a part of this community long enough to know that's not nearly the biggest barrier. Also, these instructions belong to the community. There's an ouroboros-like assumption here: if there were sufficient interest, the instructions would be better, because someone would be improving upon them. And here you are, proving that point!

J'Kla wrote:From an idiots point of view (and here I am qualified) this does not really need automating just a decent set of instructions. ;)

I dunno. An installer script that would download the required libraries, walk you through setting up the server, and building a client dataset would be a big time-saver in my opinion.

More people want to make Ages than run their own server, or else we'd see more like Deep Island, ToC, and OpenUru's Minkata. There are still semi-frequent Age releases from a small number of prolific creators. That's why we've been focusing on Korman for the last several years. Unfortunately there aren't many technical people left in the community (at least, actively contributing) and those of us still here are increasingly busy elsewhere, so we rely heavily on users to file bug reports and contribute even small additions to all of the projects we maintain. If you find something insufficient in the README, you're welcome to submit an Issue, or even make the changes yourself and submit them as a Pull Request at which point you'll receive some feedback and at the end if it's accepted it will be merged into the primary document. To be honest, I'm not sure having the information semi-duplicated on the wiki is ever a good idea, as it's extremely likely to get out of sync with the code itself, unlike the README which is hosted and tracked along with the server code.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Tue May 22, 2018 3:30 am

Building a LAN Functioning Dirtsand Shard

Hidden behind the spoiler tags is the version that worked. :)

Show Spoiler

It would be nice if a fellow noob could test this I am open to grammatical improvements. I am about to re test this myself but I am afraid I may have become too familiar with the process and fresh eyes would be useful and preferably someone who will highlight my faux-pax ;)

[HEADS UP]
Under no condition log in and create an Avatar UNTIL you have your SDL files on Both your Client and Server FAILURE to do this will screw your login. The couple of times I have been stupid enough to do this I ended up Rebuilding my Shard.
[/HEADS UP]
Last edited by J'Kla on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:26 am, edited 10 times in total.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Tue May 22, 2018 5:34 am

That's a substantial post! I'll try to take a break from updating the Global Python wiki page soon to go through your instructions and make a PR to update the README to handle the information deficits you've uncovered.

J'Kla wrote:I took the opportunity to make two accounts I am logging in from two machines this is not the avatar but the account this is like when you log into MOULa it asks for a login and after that you can make a few avatars but you want multiple avatars in game simultaneously each one must be on a different account.

Good news: this is in fact not necessary! You can log in with a single account multiple times simultaneously, as long as each log in is with a distinct avatar. You can even do this all on the same computer (provided it can handle it).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Korovev » Tue May 22, 2018 11:34 am

J'Kla wrote:
Code: Select all
$ git clone https://github.com/zrax/string_theory.git

Here we are making a clone copy of the sub-directory from the github called string_theory this will sit in the /opt/dirtsand directory.

Are you sure? When I ran cmake without flags, it gave me /usr/local as the default value for CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX. Could be why, in my attempt, dirtsand couldn’t run... EDIT: yep, it was that :)
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby J'Kla » Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am

Cool ;)

I just logged into my shard and retrieved my primary books.

Korovev are you still building on a virtual box? I only ask out of curiosity.
J'Kla

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development