Dirtsand Early 2018

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Dirtsand Early 2018

Postby J'Kla » Wed May 02, 2018 3:50 am

Do we have anyone that's been able to build a working Dirtsand server on Linux servers of a 2018 generation, any flavor.

I have run into a dead end the getting started guidance on the Wiki as it appears to be invalid when it comes to "libreadline" and since I can't get past this and there may well be issues further into the available help.

It could be it will work if I use an older Linux image but there are a lot available and even then I don't know if this would even work.

I am using Korman 0.06 to build my ages and they appear to work on a local Destiny client but I would like to take things up a notch.

I would like to run a shard on a local server network that's not internet connected once it is built and so I believe my options are MOSS or Dirtsand and neither appears viable without an update in the "Getting Started" department. :(
J'Kla

Re: Dirtsand Early 2018

Postby Deledrius » Wed May 02, 2018 10:58 am

What is the specific error you are having?

Which Linux distribution and version are you trying to run it on?

Also: make sure you're following the most recent instructions for dirtsand. The wiki's copy of the readme apparently needs to be updated -- the last edit was in 2014!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Thu May 03, 2018 2:32 am

Deledrius. Please think of this post as frustration not anger.

I have tried a couple of Distros but particularly Debian and Ubuntu always a latest stable copy usually but not exclusively taken from a live install DVD.

I have lost track of how many Linux install disks I have created.

I always build on a physical PC connected to the internet so I can get the updates and upgrades I do not use virtual PC's as I am in position of having hardware and I previously got lost down a rabbit hole of virtual machines and lost 3 virtual machines when a single Hard Drive failed.

When I build I keep the instructions in a notebook log so that I can identify and rebuild if some hardware should fail and I can also make notes on what I have actually tried so I do not repeat mistakes. Also this provides me with a source for writing concise Noob guides where I specify every step.

That's why I am asking for anyone that has had a successful install.

I have no preordained choices other than getting a working install.

I keep going to the download instructions where I usually print a hard copy so that I can highlight each step in a build process.

I admit sometimes I am not the sharpest tool in the box but I can follow instructions, and I am an adept at discovering places where those instructions either fall short, or descend into jargon or some secret language requiring some hidden prior knowledge.

The fact that the Wiki is 2014 would highlight that it is possibly out of date as we are now well into 2018.

I looked at the "most recent instructions for Dirtsand" the one where you provided a link to the Github page.

This deals with setting up the database one of the prerequisites for those instructions is "libreadline".

This is specifically the point at which my Linux install falls flat on its arse (please excuse the Anglo Saxon I find it particularly fitting).

The point I am making is that those "most recent instructions for Dirtsand" are useless if the prerequisites are unavailable.

I would be very much in a dark place were it not for my ability to test via Destiny.

Korman 0.06 is dead in the water without a testing location and the Path of the Shell export has issues as I discovered with my testing of that route.

I hate to point out that in my OP I did say that "libreadline" is the specific point at which I am stuck and that my inability to progress beyond that point means that I cannot even hope to explore the instructions provided in the Github under "most recent instructions for Dirtsand". ;)
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Thu May 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Despite your frustration, I was able to glean the answers to the very specific questions I asked in my attempt to help you.

What is the specific error you are having? Unable to install libreadline development library.

Which Linux distribution and version are you trying to run it on? Both Debian 9.4.0 and Ubuntu 18.04

To answer your initial question: I have, just today, built and installed a running dirtsand server on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04. Yes, it is possible, and yes it worked (so far as starting up). It was very simple to build using the instructions provided.

The required libraries appear to be the same on both platforms, so to get started, you can use the following command to install the required libraries:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install build-essential git cmake libpq-dev libssl-dev libreadline-dev zlib1g-dev

To build, you should be able to use the following instructions exactly (assuming I don't make any typos in transcribing them here :p ). You'll probably want to do this all together in a subdir of some kind, so we'll create that first, then build and install string_theory, and then dirtsand.

mkdir development && cd development
git clone https://github.com/zrax/string_theory.git
git clone https://github.com/H-uru/dirtsand.git
mkdir string_theory/build && mkdir dirtsand/build
cd string_theory/build
cmake ..
sudo make install
cd ../../dirtsand/build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/dirtsand ..
sudo make install

After this, you'll want to continue using the dirtsand README. If you have any further trouble, please report the specific errors you encounter here in this thread, and I will do my best to assist.
Last edited by Deledrius on Mon May 14, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Fri May 04, 2018 1:47 am

Thank you I will be trying this at the weekend :)
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Fri May 04, 2018 11:33 am

J'Kla wrote:Thank you I will be trying this at the weekend :)

Great. :) Don't forget you can drop into IRC for help as well.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Sat May 05, 2018 7:53 am

Ok I grabbed the latest images of Ubuntu both Desktop and Server (I was there anyways).

I started to build my shard using the Server version and had real problems till I spotted you were no longer allowed to use upper case letters in the computer name and if you tried to tab to the nexet field it took it that you were finished with that page.

I solved that by changing the upper case to lower case (go figure).

For clarity lets say I built the server with a user name sid and a password of milkbottle (these are sample names not actual I am not that stupid)

So I am built and logged in as sid.

Before I run the apt-get install line provided I do the flowing two sudo obviously needs my milkbottle password

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

I don't know if these are necessary but I figure you will tell me if this is wrong.

So now I come to your first provided line

sudo apt-get install build-essential git cmake libpq-dev libssl-dev libreadline-dev zlib1g-dev

I get a message saying git is already the latest version so I am not worried about this as I have seen this many times before.

I will prefix my comments with a semicolon ;

mkdir development && cd development

; Here we are creating a sub-directory in our home directory in this case "/home/sid" called development and then changing to this directory.

git clone https://github.com/zrax/string_theory.git

;Here we are making a copy of the sub-directory from the github called string_theory this will sit in the development directory.

git clone https://github.com/H-uru/dirtsand.git

;Here we are making a copy of the sub-directory from the github called dirtsand this will also sit in the development directory.

mkdir string_theory/build && mkdir dirtsand/build

;This adds sub-directories called build in both of the cloned directories

cd string_theory/build

;Here we are making our working directory the the newly created build directory in the string_theory sub-directory

cmake ..

;Here we run the cmake command using as its source the stuff it finds in the parent folder of our current working directory.
;When I revisited this I saw an error message as follows this is over two lines as contained in the double quotes

"Command 'cmake' not found, but can be installed with
sudo apt install cmake"

make install

;This is where we go astray I get the following error message probably because of the failure on the previous line.

;make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.

;At this point I have stopped what I am doing and am now seeking advice.   ;)   N.B. I get the same errors if I continue and try using the following section. 

cd ../../dirtsand/build
cmake ..
make install

Note I would drop into IRC if I knew what IRC was. :?

I found a reference elsewhere and tried irc.guildofwriters.org in my browser and all I got was the Debian Apache2 Default page.

After some digging I found out about Pidgin now all I need to do is figure out what account do I need. :? Again
J'Kla

Postby Zrax » Sat May 05, 2018 12:03 pm

J'Kla wrote:

I get a message saying git is already the latest version so I am not worried about this as I have seen this many times before.

What was the exact output (not a paraphrase or summary) of this command? I ask because many of your later errors indicate that cmake (and possibly others) did not, in fact, get installed successfully after this point....
Zrax

Postby J'Kla » Sat May 05, 2018 2:09 pm

Doh! :oops:

Install line had make instead of cmake.

good catch Zrax

I am now getting past the string _theory cmake and make install parts but am getting an error during the cmake in the dirtsand part

it's a long and involved error that is telling me it cant find a package at CMakeLists.txt:38 it says it cant find a configuration file that should have been created by "string_theory"

I am going back and I am doing a clean install of Ubuntu just to make sure its not something I have generated.
Last edited by J'Kla on Sat May 05, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Sat May 05, 2018 2:20 pm

FYI, you'll likely want to use
sudo make install

instead of make install by itself for string_theory, otherwise you'll be unable to complete the installation and dirtsand won't find the required files.

I just tested it all this morning on Ubuntu Server too, and the instructions are the same. I had expected that you would use the Desktop Edition since you are not an expert, and would prefer an environment with a UI.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Next

Return to Plasma Development