Dirtsand Early 2018

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Dirtsand Early 2018

Postby Zrax » Tue May 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Korovev wrote:
J'Kla wrote:
Code: Select all
$ git clone https://github.com/zrax/string_theory.git

Here we are making a clone copy of the sub-directory from the github called string_theory this will sit in the /opt/dirtsand directory.

Are you sure? When I ran cmake without flags, it gave me /usr/local as the default value for CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX. Could be why, in my attempt, dirtsand couldn’t run... EDIT: yep, it was that :)

Actually, that's a somewhat unrelated issue related to the way Linux looks up library paths (and to CMake's default behaviors). Specifically, even if you can build and link dirtsand with a library in a non-standard path, CMake will by default strip the executable's library lookup path ("rpath") when running 'make install'. You can override this behavior, or (what I usually do) add something like -DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS="-Wl,-rpath=/opt/dirtsand/lib" to cause the generated executables to keep the correct rpath.

None of this is needed if you just install string_theory to the default /usr/local, since /usr/local/lib is in Linux's default list of library search paths.
Zrax

Postby J'Kla » Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 am

I have been building without any sort of Flag during the cmake on my string_theory part and my shard appears to work.

I think that may be a case of accidentally failing while still working lol

Part of the reason being I do not actually know what

-DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS="-Wl,-rpath=/opt/dirtsand/lib"

actually does. I presume from the discussion that it changes the final location for the compiled code and to be fair as long as my shard works I am OK with that for the time being.

Obviously there is some sort of best practice that probably states adding the flag is the better option.

Gleaning through the suggested string I take it this would push the result into /opt/dirtsand/lib a location that does not exist at this time I have to assume it would be created during the cmake make install process.

I don't mind being the thicko here as long as I end up Understanding the result because that is the way I am going to learn and remember.

I someone could spare the time to explain the command line that I am now given to take should read

$ cmake -DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS="-Wl,-rpath=/opt/dirtsand/lib" ..

While the explanation could be nice I realize I cannot insist and while

$ cmake ..

Works in its place should I amend my instructions?

In passing I must thank you Zrax for what is obviously a stirling piece of work because lets face it I now have a LAN dirtsand shard as a result. :)
J'Kla

Postby Korovev » Wed May 23, 2018 1:57 am

J'Kla wrote:Korovev are you still building on a virtual box? I only ask out of curiosity.

No, it’s an actual machine (the one I was using before the current one).

However, I’m still getting Network error 6, even though I have the files from moul-scripts in both the server folders and in the client :?

Deledrius wrote:This part of setting things up can be a bit complicated, and it's never been streamlined for users

Would the procedure from MOSS works for dirtsand too?

Zrax wrote:Actually, that's a somewhat unrelated issue related to the way Linux looks up library paths (and to CMake's default behaviors).

In my case, after recompiling string theory, dirtsand now recognizes it. I didn’t remove the one in /usr/local, so perhaps that’s why it’s working?

Deledrius wrote:What is your goal?

Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain. Why is he climbing a mountain? :P
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby J'Kla » Wed May 23, 2018 2:52 am

I was getting the same till I went back to basics and started with a clean copy of MOULa for my files.

Try revisiting the instructions from the line

Now we need to set up our client:

It might be worth noting that as I developed the instructions if I had any failure I actually went back to fdisk removed the partitions and started again with a clean install.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 am

Korovev wrote:
Deledrius wrote:This part of setting things up can be a bit complicated, and it's never been streamlined for users

Would the procedure from MOSS works for dirtsand too?

I'm not familiar with it, but that looks substantially different, if you're asking about the manifests.

Deledrius wrote:What is your goal?

Korovev wrote:Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain. Why is he climbing a mountain? :P

"Because it's there" is definitely a good reason! I do that myself quite frequently (perhaps too often, in fact). But I asked for the reason to make sure we're answering the right questions. Sometimes it's possible to get pretty far down a path and realize that while it seemed like a good thing at the time, it's not the best road to where we want to go.

In this case, I think J'Kla is definitely making good progress to where he wants to be. :D
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Wed May 23, 2018 4:22 am

My next step is to make it so I can log in from my second location.

My shard is at home but I spend some of my time looking after a small server nest 2 machines nothing huge.

I can log in with putty coreFTP and make edits but I cannot test till I go home.

The plan is not to make the shard public just make it so I can remotely log in.

I have a noip account set up and I just see that as the next step.

After that I want to figure out the steps needed to make it a data server.

The instructions on encrypting are not the clearest and there is a suggestion on using your favorite encryption software to do NTD Encryption but detail that makes sense seems woefully lacking.

There is a suggestion that you can get information on the github moul-scripts page but that could be a reference to getting the SDL, PYTHON and dat folders rather than information on Encryption.

Oddly there is quite some detail about manifests using backslashes and what to use as the key in the support notes. However nothing on what and how to Encrypt what with if this is Windows or Linux?

I seem to recall something about encrypting in a thread about exporting from 3DMax for CWE I may have to investigate thereabouts. Not looking forward to that.

I have sent a pm to Mystler because it is something that appears to have happened over at Destiny.
J'Kla

Postby Zrax » Wed May 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Korovev wrote:In my case, after recompiling string theory, dirtsand now recognizes it. I didn’t remove the one in /usr/local, so perhaps that’s why it’s working?

That's correct -- if you didn't specify an rpath, it will still be using the version in /usr/local even if you linked against the version in /opt/dirtsand. If they match, that's not a big deal; but if you start updating one and don't update the other, the chances of Bad Things (tm) happening begin to increase.

Regarding the encryption, I don't have any documentation off hand, but I believe the tools you're looking for are either PlasmaCrypt (provided by libhsplasma) or plFileEncrypt (provided by H-uru/Plasma). It should be possible to build both on either Windows or Linux, depending on your comfort level, though the pre-built libhsplasma for Windows probably comes with a version of PlasmaCrypt that should be sufficient.

Really, we should probably just build the encryption into dirtsand, but I guess none of us have gotten the necessary Round Tuits yet ;).
Zrax

Postby J'Kla » Thu May 24, 2018 1:36 am

OK I have taken the next step.
I use no-ip to assign a domain name to my dynamic ip address. For the purposes of description let us say my domain name is mydomain.name.com to use this we need to edit both the dirtsand.ini on the Shard and the server.ini on our client.

In the dirtsand.ini following the example I make the following change.

# EXTERNAL server addresses -- should probably point to this server for now
# File.Host = 192.168.0.20
# Auth.Host = 192.168.0.20
# Game.Host = 192.168.0.20
File.Host = example.com
Auth.Host = example.com
Game.Host = example.com

With the changes made I reboot the shard and re-launch the dirtsand application.

The hash # at the beginning of the line turns the original into a comment and is useful if you need to backtrack Notice the domain name has no speech marks or http prefix.

Now we need to reflect these changes in the server.ini on our client PC.

# Server.Gate.Host 192.168.0.20
# Server.Auth.Host 192.168.0.20
Server.Gate.Host example.com
Server.Auth.Host example.com

Again notice we use the # symbol to comment out the existing lines and in their replacement we have no speech marks or http prefix.

On My home router I have port forwarding set (some routers call this firewall rules)

I have ports 80, 22, 443 and 14617 all port forwarded to my shard internal ip 192.168.0.20.

At this time I do not know if all or any of these are required but with these changes made I am able to fire up my client on my PC at work and log into my home shard.

I want to point out the help Mystler gave with regards to this step. ;)

Note: Some routers and or Service Providers will prohibit self addressing that is if you try to use a domain name in place of an ip address from inside that domain name it will plain just not work. However It will work if you are logging in from a remote connection.

When I am in those situations I use my cell phone as a wi-fi hotspot for the remote connection.

At my work the Service Provider there blocks self referencing. Go figure.

Note: The Domain name was changed to protect the innocent. :)
Last edited by J'Kla on Thu May 24, 2018 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Thu May 24, 2018 2:41 am

J'Kla wrote:Note: The Domain name was changed to protect the innocent. :)

It's safer, easier, and highly recommended to just use example.com for examples and documentation. The domain name.com is actually in use by a real company, so probably best to avoid that.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Thu May 24, 2018 2:43 am

Thanks for the heads up I will change the original.

[edit]
change made
[/edit]

[edit2]
Further experimentation: When I am using a client on my LAN connection I find I can get away with leaving the server.ini unchanged that is pointing at the ip address 192.168.0.20 rather than the domain name and this is despite the dirtsand.ini on the shard being changed to the domain name version.

The inverse is not however true changing the server.ini on an external access client to the domain name and not changing it to the domain name in the dirtsand.ini on the shard just stops the connection working.

All of this may be just me being lucky with the combination of Router and Service Provider I am using.
[/edit2]
J'Kla

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development