Dirtsand Early 2018

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Dirtsand Early 2018

Postby J'Kla » Mon May 28, 2018 8:42 am

Now when I build I have printed out the following checklist for building my server

Basically I cut out all of the explanation

NOTE: There is a fix part way through this description credited to Hoikas Note this is a TEMPORARY fix at some point we will remove that fix at which point It will no longer be needed.

The spoiler tags are just to make a long posting tidier.

This condensed version is only up to the point where you have generated your KEYS so that is up to the point where you are going to make your server.ini and dirtsand.ini files plus stuff your SDL and ages folder with the appropriate stuff.

Show Spoiler

[HEADS UP]
Under no condition log in and create an Avatar UNTIL you have your SDL files on Both your Client and Server FAILURE to do this will screw your login. The couple of times I have been stupid enough to do this I ended up Rebuilding my Shard.
[/HEADS UP]
Last edited by J'Kla on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:24 am, edited 8 times in total.
J'Kla

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon May 28, 2018 9:30 am

I suggest leaving my bug fix out of any formal instructions as it will eventually be unneeded.

As for the data/auth files, don't try making these yourself. Such is the road to woe and despair. Use a script, like my manifest generator.. Point it to a valid Uru directory, and it will create a functional file server for you. You will need to package the loose Python files into a Python.pak with plPythonPack.exe. Also, remember the restrictions on redistributing Cyan content (you can't). It will be relevant to feed the manifest script a blacklist.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby J'Kla » Mon May 28, 2018 9:55 am

Until there is a correction in place I have to leave your bug fix in place in the instructions I have posted here, because without it you can not build a dirtsand shard.

We can post a correction and edit the instructions once we have your correction in place.

At some point I will visit your manifest generator and produce an idiot guide for the same and as it is nice to know there is a script to do the job but we do need to have instructions so idiots like me know how to use it.

For the time being the method is for a self use un-encrypted LAN based shard for testing and experimentation a vault you can play with and a client that supports Korman 0.06 exports.

So strictly speaking we do not even need those encrypted files.

None of this is planned for redistribution it is aimed at making a working environment purely for testing Korman MOULa export.

[edit]
I have added a note at the top of both descriptions highlighting the fix is Temporary
[/edit]
J'Kla

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon May 28, 2018 11:00 am

Best to avoid the manifest generator entirely then.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby J'Kla » Mon May 28, 2018 11:09 am

For the present that is probably a good idea

I will want to consider it at some point, so I can encrypt and build something to file serve my own fan built ages, but for the time being any place I am liable to need them I can add them to the client.

OK I will probably need them on a couple of machines but as they will be operating on a LAN manually copying them to the requisite dat folders is not going to be a big deal.

I do not see any LAN shard I have running any more than two or three simultaneous logins.
J'Kla

Dirtsand 2018 32bit 64bit Differences

Postby J'Kla » Wed May 30, 2018 1:29 am

There is a slight difference in setting up dirtsand for 32 bit Ubuntu Server over the 64 bit version.

Because there is no 32 bit version of the current latest version 18.04 Server the latest 32 bit available is the Ubuntu-17.01 Server-i386 and this is fine but it does have a slightly different install method I have described.

During the install you can choose to pre-load the install with postgresql and at that time you WILL need to choose to install SSH if you want to follow the rest of the install.

When you come to the $ sudo apt-get install options you can drop both the postgresql and the postgresql-contrib because they will already be the latest versions along with git.

I have also amended the listing as there is now a newer install where apt replaces apt-get I have added a note and amended both listings.

There is no harm in leaving all of those in the install line because it will just tell you that you already have the latest versions.
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 am

Deledrius wrote:Don't forget you can drop into IRC for help as well.

I did ask this previously. To be specific Page 1 of this thread.

WHAT is "IRC" and how do I get there to ask for help?
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:21 am

J'Kla wrote:
Deledrius wrote:Don't forget you can drop into IRC for help as well.

I did ask this previously. To be specific Page 1 of this thread.

WHAT is "IRC" and how do I get there to ask for help?

Internet Relay Chat is a venerable standard protocol/system for live chat, and GoW hosts a server network for Uru and Myst-related people to hang out and collaborate. You can easily visit us using any IRC client (e.g. HexChat in Windows) at irc.guildofwriters.org, or the Rel.to GoW IRC link will allow you to visit using a webbrowser through the relay service mibbit. We mostly hang out in the #writers channel, but not everyone is active at all times, so if you stop by you may need to be patient if you don't get a response right away (some people are at work, after all!).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:59 am

Until now it was a random TLA (Three Letter Abbreviation)
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:46 pm

Until now I have been running the Dirtsand Client on Windows7 Pro and now have an opertunity to try from a Windows 10 platform and it is not going well.

At the point when you are loading your password if you wait the plClient.exe falls on it arse if you manage to get the fields filled in it hangs for a about half a minute and then falls over.

In both cases the only message is "There has been a problem with plClient.exe"

I have tried changing running as administrator (both the link and making plClient.exe proporties set "Run as Administrator" individual and Everybody.

I Have tried changing compatability mode all to no avail.

This is very frustrating as it still runs butifuly under Windows 7 pro and home.

[edit]
And yes before I am asked the link is using "-LocalData"
[/edit]
J'Kla

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development