PyPRP Importing is Slow

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

PyPRP Importing is Slow

Postby EclipsedVisions » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:27 am

Hello, I've been wondering if I've been doing something very wrong, but I'm trying to get the PyPRP installed on Blender 2.49 in order to import the Myst V Direbo .age file. I got Python 2.5 and everything necessary for it as listed on wiki, and when i start importing the age I don't get any console errors yet the program has frozen and hasn't loaded anything yet, yet it's been like 30 minutes already. Did i do something wrong or it's supposed to be this slow?
EclipsedVisions

Re: PyPRP Importing is Slow

Postby Deledrius » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:56 pm

I don't believe the PyPRP Importer works on non-Uru:CC Age files. I've had some limited success transfusing MystV Ages to Uru:CC Ages and then Importing them, however, but that comes with its own challenges due to the inherent changes.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Chacal » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:34 pm

I have imported Myst V Ages converted with Drizzle without any problem.
I don't remember what I imported them with.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Deledrius » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:01 pm

Chacal wrote:I have imported Myst V Ages converted with Drizzle without any problem.

Right, as I said, they need to be converted first. Native Myst V data won't work, and may hang the importer (I'm not sure what its behaviour is with "malformed" Ages of this sort).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:14 am

I remember the PyPRP importer hanging on unconverted Myst V Ages too. However sometime it will also outright refuse to import converted Ages.
Furthermore, importing PRPs should never take longer than 10 minutes, unless you're importing a really big Age on a very old PC. It's often useful to have a look at Blender's console window (in Window->Toggle System Console): if stuff is being written in it, it means the Age is still being imported, otherwise it might be that the importer is stuck in a very long or infinite loop.

Recently I rewrote a PRP importer from scratch, which is a bit less picky and imports more objects than the old importer. It's still WIP and I never made a guide to using it, but if you can get it to work I think you'll get better results than with the old importer.
Sirius

Postby EclipsedVisions » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:23 am

Right, I never realized the Myst V format was different from Uru, tried to import an Uru age and it worked well... It didn't take long either and would show progress in console. Sorry for being stupid :D
I will look into converting the age to Uru, because I really want to get the basic Direbo meshes to remake the age in higher quality, etc. Thanks for the replies :)
EclipsedVisions

Return to Plasma Development