Dirtsand on a VPS

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Dirtsand on a VPS

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:50 pm

PyHSPlasma is provided by libHSPlasma. I'm a little clueless on the login issue right now, sadly. Maybe something will come to mind soon...
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Surta » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:47 pm

Thanks for the pointers on the manifest - updated data uploaded and ready for launch :D

As for the login hanging, yes it's puzzling. I know the server is up:

[Lobby] Running on 0.0.0.0/14617
[Status] Running on 127.0.0.1/8080
ds-26>

And of course we also know that it is definitely able to see the client because before it would balk at the wrong build number.

I deleted the entire /opt/dirtsand AND ~/dirtsand and started afresh, but alas... still nothing! I was secretly hoping the updated client files would solve the issue, but that wasn't it either, obviously. I have a flawlessly working server and client and they refuse to talk to each other now :cry:
Surta

Postby Surta » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Hi guys, hope everyone is doing well keeping and healthy in these strange times!

This is just a biannual check in to say that alas, I am not any further in setting up a server! To recap:

- Thanks to Tsar Hoikas' updated instructions, setting up a server is now a breeze. I have done it numerous times and never fails.
- Only difference I need to make is the product build ID, since I'm using the Gehn client which requires setting it to 26.
- I have rebuilt the database a number of times (using the docker version now which definitely makes backups and rebuilds easier).

If I do forget a step or make a mistake in any of the above, the server will "yell" at me (for example if I omit the build ID or forget a setting in the database).

If everything is set up correctly, it will 1) check for Cyan's official files 2) download them if Uru Live is not installed and 3) download the remaining data files from my server. All that works flawlessly.

However, as soon I get past filling in the username and password, the client doesn't get any further then "Logging in to Uru. Please wait". No matter what username I choose, existing or random, right or wrong password, the server doesn't seem to register any attempt at all.

Which is odd because when I forget to set the product build ID, it will immediately display an error. So I KNOW the server and client are talking to each other, they just won't authenticate. I rebuilt everything today just "for fun" but same thing happens... which is nothing at all.

I just can't imagine this to be a complicated issue, yet here we are! I don't supposed you guys have had a brain wave in the past six months, right? :D
Surta

Postby Surta » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:23 pm

Ok, in case anyone is still reading this :) I have pretty much boiled it down to the (Gehn) client... I tried it with the Destiny client (with LocalData enabled) and I have no trouble logging in. Of course it then runs into all kinds of other errors, bugs and crashes... but at least I know for a fact it's not something I did wrong.

I honestly think I will have to put forth the effort to create my own client... which is spitting out its own set of errors. Life is never easy, is it? :geek:
Surta

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:15 am

I had to go back and look at the state of the art, as it were. Still no solid idea on what's wrong here... The only thing I can think of is that your client is missing some sort of critical data file and it gets stuck. The client init is all deep evil voodoo and can be hard to tease apart :(
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Surta » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:53 pm

Yeah, I'm not really one to give up easily but unfortunately I may have to... my last resort was to try and recreate the client, but I'm not having much luck there either. Once again I did get quite far with it... but not all the way. Followed these instructions: https://guildofwriters.org/wiki/CWE:Getting_Started

First of course I tried the "prepare_env.bat" which created the Plasma.sln file (after MUCH trial and error, haha). However when I open that in Visual Studio 15 and run the Build command, it will stall with a whole list of errors.

So then I tried the manual Cmake solution, but that halts with the following error:

Code: Select all
Selecting Windows SDK version 10.0.14393.0 to target Windows 10.0.18363.
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:48 (find_package):
  By not providing "Findstring_theory.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this
  project has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
  "string_theory", but CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "string_theory"
  (requested version 2.0) with any of the following names:

string_theoryConfig.cmake
    string_theory-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "string_theory" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
  "string_theory_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
  "string_theory" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it
  has been installed.

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I copied the string_theory files in just about every directory I could think of, but it keeps giving this particular error. Is there a magic location where to place (or run) string_theory in Windows 10 so that it works?

In all honestly I don't think that even if I do get a working client going, that it will work with my server, because if the (probably rather perfect) Gehn client doesn't work, there is no reason to assume mine will.

But right now it's like an itch that I just can't help but scratch every now and then... I just haven't been able to give up altogether just yet. Would LOVE to get this going :D
Surta

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:24 pm

If you build the INSTALL project in the string_theory.sln, it should put the files in the correct location if you've correctly set up the... uh, CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX I think it is. I wouldn't try to copy the files manually--that always leads to the gnashing of teeth IME at least.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Surta » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:16 pm

I'm using GitHub Desktop on Windows 10. I cloned the Plasma project to a folder in Documents\Github\Plasma and String Theory to another Documents\Github\string_theory. I even tried the instructions here: https://github.com/zrax/string_theory/w ... ing_theory, namely the part

cd C:\Path\to\string_theory
mkdir build-msvc
cmake -G "Visual Studio 14 2015" ..
(Open the generated .sln file and build the Release target)

I also tried to do this with the string_theory folder within the Plasma folder, then within the Plasma\build folder, and also the Cmake bin folder etc etc but I don't think any of those are right because I keep getting this blasted error...

I'm not familiar with Cmake or Github projects so I'm probably, more than likely, doing something seriously wrong here :lol:

Side note: I have no idea what (Open the generated .sln file and build the Release target) means :oops: Ok I did figure that one, opened the file in Visual Studio and built... something... however not sure how this relates to the Plasma project...
Surta

Postby Surta » Fri May 01, 2020 10:48 am

Ok, with a risk of sounding like I'm jumping all over the place (trust me, I'm trying to be methodical here, it's just all a bit overwhelming), I thought maybe I should revisit the prepare_env.bat file.... since that is supposed to be the "easy" method, heh. I went ahead and recloned Plasma from Github, then ran the batch file again

The first error I ran into was this one:

Show Spoiler

Searching through Google, I found this solution:

cmake . -D "OPENAL_INCLUDE_DIR=c:\Program Files (x86)\OpenAL 1.1 SDK\include" -D "OPENAL_LIBRARY=c:\Program Files (x86)\OpenAL 1.1 SDK\libs\Win32\OpenAL32.lib"

Running this in the Plasma folder seemed to work, because it continues until it tells me that the build files have been written. Now I'm getting:

Show Spoiler

So, I opened this Plasma.sln file, it spends a few minutes to parse included files.

Then without further editing I click Build - Build solution and it does some black magic for quite a while. Finally it seems to halt at:

Show Spoiler

After that I am at a total loss what else to do :D Again, apologies for my seemingly haphazard approach, I just thought perhaps I should start from the top once again - after all, it can't be rocket science right? :oops:
Surta

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri May 01, 2020 1:28 pm

I was going to suggest that we figure out what's wrong with the prepare_env.bat environment, actually. It was just recently updated to have everything needed.

Surta wrote:86>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'python27_d.lib'

It looks like the devlibs layout changed slightly when this was done. The debug libraries are being put into another directory (hence the _d.lib). You don't want a Debug build though. Tell Visual Studio to build the Release target by changing the dropdown option at the top to "Release" -- it should currently say "Debug".
Tsar Hoikas

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development