Dirtsand on a VPS

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Dirtsand on a VPS

Postby Surta » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:35 pm

No need to apologize Deledrius, I appreciate all the help :) Actually the server works pretty perfectly (though I still haven't located GZ yet), so it's such a shame the client doesn't play nice!

@J'Kla, yes your thread was very valuable. I can't remember how many times I consulted it when I was stuck! Most of the time you had asked the same questions already and so all I had to do was follow your progress. As for setting up the dataserver, it's a lot easier than it seems. It is really as simple as running Tsar Hoikas' script in Windows (after changing a few parameters such as location of your files) and upload the whole output folder to the Linux server. It was the part I dreaded the most and turned out to be the easiest!
Surta

Postby J'Kla » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:36 am

I previously asked and was told it was too complex.

We will get there, it is small details like what you need to change and what are the detailed steps for running the script.

I am sure I will figure it out from this thread.
J'Kla

Postby Surta » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:18 am

Good luck :) I made things way too complicated at first because I used several sites and instructions. I would probably be able to give you some pointers, but I don't have the copious notes I made when setting up the server itself.

I'd love to proceed with my next items on the wishlist, such as creating a who's online page, adding fan ages and the adminKI, but thought I'd give the poor guys a rest after all the noise I've made in this forum already :D And of course the fact I can't get it to run on any other computer is slightly discouraging as well. Not going to give up though, well, at least not entirely :ugeek:
Surta

Postby Deledrius » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:23 pm

What's the current status of which parts are working and which aren't? I'd like to help you get this going the rest of the way!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Surta » Sat May 04, 2019 6:48 am

Now it's my turn to apologize for not responding promptly :oops: Thanks so much for working with me - if you need access to a server, I'm more than willing to set one up on yet another Hetzner and supply you with a login... perhaps you can see what is going on.

That said though, the server seems pretty much perfect. Everything works now, thanks to you guys. It's just the client that is acting up in two different ways.

UruLauncher (Gehn version) installs all right and downloads the data files. But then when the game is about to boot, it will hang at "logging in" and the server will display a message "[Auth] Wrong Build ID from 123.45.67.89/61109: 26"
Nothing else will happen after that.

If I try the same with the Destiny client (plClient.exe) AFTER UruLauncher has finished the initial download, the game works perfectly on my main Windows 10 machine.

However, on every other machine I have tried (all Windows 10), plClient will start, but then there is no sound at all. Also it won't load the game all the way, it crashes right at "Loading age... Personal. StartupHelpGUI". I do believe both those problems might be related to OpenAl, but even when I manually install it (or try various versions found on the Internet), the same will happen on those two computers no matter what.

No idea what is might be, hoping that you guys do :D

Update: I just tried it on a 4th computer, and that one crashes as well. That means that the one working computer is a fluke and crashing is the norm, since it's happening on all three others :(
Surta

Postby Surta » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:46 am

It's been a looong time, but I haven't forgotten about my server, well... not entirely.

With the help of a friend I have been able to dockerize the Postgres database - which of course has the huge advantage that I can now run the server with any username, plus backups are that much easier. If there is a huge interest in this (hah!) I can see if I can reproduce all the steps needed to simplify the process for everyone, but no promises. :lol:

Unfortunately I have never been able to resolve my client issue, so yeah, I have a fully working flawless server that only works flawlessly on one machine :roll:
Surta

Postby Deledrius » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Since your last attempts, I've worked on creating an automated installer script which should help a great deal (I hope!). It should be ready for testing soon.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Surta » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Oh very nice! Once it's ready for testing I'll probably try it with another 1 cent an hour Hetzner :)

I did notice when I tried to rebuild my server today that zrax's string_theory script no longer has the "build" folder, is that all part of the new installer process? Luckily I still had the old installation folder which I could just restore so this was not an issue, but I wouldn't know how to start from scratch right now.

Looking forward to the installer, so pleased this is still being worked on!

Did you guys ever figure out what could be the reason I can't connect to my server from any other PC than the one I originally tried it on?
Surta

Postby Surta » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:24 pm

And... suddenly we're onwards a few months. I haven't touched the server since, because well... I don't know what is wrong so I can't fix what I can't find ^_^

Just wondering if there is anything new and exciting going on that makes it worth trying again? :D

Edit: of course I had to follow the new (?) instructions at https://guildofwriters.org/wiki/DIRTSAN ... ng_Started. It seems so much easier than before... or I just never followed those properly (quite possible!).

This is a WIP... I'll update as I follow along!
Surta

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:43 pm

We did fix that irritating "segfault on link to Relto" issue and some fascinating server deadlocks. I can't think of anything related to the particular issue you were experiencing though :(
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development